INTERNET BROWSERS

Dunno If you look at my bugreports you’ll notice that I’m not running any AV for months and I removed Comodo Memory firewall 2 weeks ago. No malware here and I usually rely on Opera for general purpose browsing. Truth to be told I used Opera because it was the least used browser ;D IIRC malware are targeted on easy preys :stuck_out_tongue:
As for standard compliance and implementation toughness IMO Opera is top notch.

Standard compliance is the most valuable thing to me even if sometimes breaks some site rendering :-X (I fall back to FF in those cases)

As no solution is bugfree it is of utmost importance that bugs are fixed fast. Looking at secunia a week ago I saw IE an FF had still unfixed bugs.
As for design robustness I guess a recent example would be Mozilla jsfunfuzz which found out 4 bugs on Opera. :-TU

Anyway if anyone may know a malware that target opera I would like to know.

FF has very interesting plugins and good script debugging support but adding too many plugins is an overkill. In the end the only practicable solution would be to use only few plugins and to create as many task specific profiles are needed to use the others.

IMHO to choose a browser it is also needed to consider our behaviours, habits and tasks. FF topnotch flexibility has a too high price for me while Opera OOTB has more than enough features.
What I like the most, speaking in terms of personal preferences, is the ability opera source viewer has to apply html code changes on the fly. Just click apply and I can tamper a page to look whatever I like (:LOV)

Don’t forget Opera does not utilize ActiveX. From SpywareBlaster creator yesterday:

SpywareBlaster does not offer protection for Opera at this time. Since Opera does not support ActiveX, malware isn't as big an issue with the Opera browser.

Many other programs use Internet Explorer as a default browser, or use the Internet Explorer engine to display their interface or content. So even if your browser is not listed above (e.g. Opera), SpywareBlaster will protect you in many other cases.

Best regards,

-Javacool

And so what?

ActiveX is a proprietary ie content, and it is supported only by ie and its clones, excepting addons for other browser faking ie, but one does have to be a fool to do that.

Furthermore, ActiveX is a serious threat, but is not the only criterium for security, which involves e.g. the choice of mail and other softwares, the security parameters of the os, the behaviour of each person…

My conclusion is that choosing between opera and firefox (or seamonkey or whatever you want) is only a matter of personal preference as long as you don’t use ie and/or any ie browsing or mailing clone.

I’m with you on that, guy ;D. This is the opposite open-source philosophy ;D.

Well, duh of course it’s based on preference and habits, etc. as well. Pretty much anything is when there are choices / options. That’s why it’s natural to point out facts and differences between browsers and share our experience, which is what the OP is seeking. People have to start somewhere (:KWL).

I agree that on a high-spec pc the FF add-ons will have little impact on resources,but on an older rig it’ll be noticeable.That said FF with the likes of Noscript installed is a very secure browser.

When security comparisons are made the Secunia ratings are often mentioned,in which Opera rates excellent.Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean that Opera is most secure in a real world environment so it’d be interesting to hear the issues that you’ve had MorphOS.

Usually in an attempt to develop further a security topic and actually point out less subjective facts there is a need to quote independent 3rd party resources. I guess most members preference fall on Secunia because it provides summaries, graph and statistics that help the users to have an idea of how a vanilla browser security behave in a real world scenario.

As for performance IMHO that could be also used to evaluate a product implementation. Where the fastest implementation tested on a reference system would actually represent a more accurately crafted and optimized implementation. In regards to this aspect there was an ongoing debate about mozilla gecko.

Truth to be told the previous Mozilla minimo attempt was stopped and a new project started.
I have no clue about the robustness of this new implementation but I guess that addressing the issues pointed out in Should Mozilla Drop Gecko for WebKit? will benefit the desktop segment too.

One thing for sure with the upcoming new versions of Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 the debates will rumble on for some time to come :■■■■

Of course… They always will until one flunks out. FF 3 is looking quite strong, and has even more security, with better antivirus integration. It will be close but I think FF will still prevail.

Your favorite browser is? Why?
Regards
Xman (:KWL)

Reply to my own post, currently roadtesting Orca browser V1.1 Alpha 3, very speedy & many other good things to follow, see it here: http://www.orcabrowser.com/
Cheers
Xman :■■■■ (:KWL)

My favorite browser is Lynx :-TU

I had just to change browser to avoid repeating the same thing again in these favorite browser topics ;D

My favorite browser is Netscape Navigator 4.08. Classic. Love it. Yeah, I know, I rule (:NRD)

(:LGH)

For Security Reasons I Would say Firefox 3
but for Everyday Use I would say Opera:)

CG

With Comodos’ Firewall and a good AV considered, now what would your favorite browser be, and why?
Cheers :■■■■
Xman (:KWL)

Internet Explorer v1.0

thats wow

:slight_smile:

Neat and not bloated browser. Only 1.1 MB ;D Clean Freaks Dream :smiley: Downloading right now ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, you know why are we doing this Xman ?

Only if you have WIN95 :frowning: but hey that’s why we hae virtual machines :smiley:
Also can use Compatible Wizard (accessories)

CG

I’m using Win95 ! :wink: Only 16 MB RAM usage. And I beat L.A. and Soya by a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Commodus, answer is simply, variety in choice as you just discovered with Soyas’ choice my friend, keep us posted to your discovery…
Cheers all
Xman :-TU :■■■■
(:KWL)