Installs But Can't Do Anything On Net [RESOLVED]

Hey guys, I’m new here. I have the same problem, so I’ll just jump in. :slight_smile:

Pinging is no go, as he does not recieve DNSs from router/ISP (well, pinging www.google.com won’t work, IP will). Even if one manually enters them (DNS server) in nslookup you still can’t resolve the names. Everything is confirmed on my side - also allowing all or exiting the applications does not help (by that I mean the internet connection does not work).

This is interesting news about svchost.exe and the other process, I did not try that. But, there are some rules in the application which I did not add. They were there from the start.

My problems appeared 3 weeks after the initial installation of v2. Today I installed v3 but the problem persisted. Will check registry/folders again and try with the install of v3.

UPDATE: Ok, after the new install I allowed svchost.exe, I got DNS IPs from the router but I still could not ping www.google.com (No response from DNS server). I’m running out of ideas and I’m slowly giving up. I will get new computer parts in few days and I will re-install OS anyway, so I hope for the best when I will do that.

Here is yet another twist for an already twisted install. I uninstalled CFP then reinstalled it. Upon it’s first run, it asked to permit AVG and my mail checker so I allowed them. Then before doing anything else I pinged google and it worked so I pinged it again and it worked. Then I started FF and it didn’t work. So I pinged again and it didn’t work after trying FF.

Any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone for all the trouble.

Is it just FF not working? What if you tried another browser? Better yet, try version 3. It’s sooo customizable.

After uninstalling CFP 2.x there may be legacy keys that need to be deleted that you can right-click to give yourself permissions on full control. I did a search and notice a few key names relating to CFP:
comodo
cpf
cmdagent
inspect

Ping seems to work sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t.

IE won’t work either. Nothing that tries to get to the Net works.

Where are you finding these left over keys, in the registry? Do you want me to uninstall it then look in the reg for left overs?

I fear without resolving this, version 3 won’t work either but what the heck. Where do I download it?

In the registry you perform a search on those words after CFP is uninstalled. If you have any doubts on the registry keys post them before deleting.

CFP 3 is http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

Version 3 seems to work!!!

During setup CFP found a network and asked if I wanted to join it. I have no network. What I have is a DSL router. I allowed this anyway because I wasn’t sure.

CFP also reported finding Sunbelt installed and suggested I uninstall it first. Well I skipped that and told it to continue with the setup. I thought I deleted all references to Sunbelt 2 installs back. Where is this info coming from that Comodo finds? How do I get rid of Sunbelt once and for all?

But even with Sunbelt apparently still installed CFP 3 seems to be working. Not sure what to do now…enjoy or do something about this Sunbelt thing.

I would still like to know why version 2 wouldn’t work.

Thanks to all.

Excellent! CFP 3 is working for you. As for why CFP 2 didn’t work, I believe the CFP 3 setup / installer is more sophisticated and can detect incompatible software on your pc. I recalled when I first opened the setup file, it took at least 15 seconds for anything to come up - probably scanning my pc for incompatibilities. You know what? I bet it was because there were some file / registry remnants from Sunbelt that caused it. That it’ll be something Sunbelt will have to help you out.

This is normal. I currently only use a DSL modem and it also asked me. Regardless of whether you’re networked or not, all internet connections will receive this initial prompt. It’s mentioned in the help file.

Well, I’ll close this threads as resolved. If the issue returns you’ll have to open a new thread in the new V3 Help board as I trust you’ll be sticking to this version.