I use the following...

Okay I admit it,

I actually run OA free on one of my desktops!

Also I don’t run CAVS.

I prefer ThreatFire to Defense+ for most setups…

In general I don’t trust Comodo to provide all my protection. So each of my desktops run different security setups… So in case someone has a way past comodo product he doesn’t have 100% of my computers…

Point of this post is?.. :THNK

Given the section, to confess I assume. Otherwise, I’d have to get Soya to move it. ;D

I forgive you Luketan. Your act of contrition can be to assist some new user who is asking for help/advice. :slight_smile:

No bashing? Stupid MODS! Who do you think you are anyway? :smiley: (:WAV) Whatta subject huh? I have a theory though, what the hell is so important on your pc that anyone would try to break through numerous walls of security? I haven’t found anyone doing that to my PC in the last 11 years and only have standard securities. If they want to go through ALL that trouble to break my CFP, my router, my monitoring, etc… to get some graphics, maybe some nice pics of Alyssa Milano, even some docs, so be it. Then after their hard pressed time in hacking my PC, will take me 15 min to block them, restore my whole system and I can go back to my coffee.

Cheers,

Paul

ehm,

1. watch your languange (:NRD) , there are lots of word to replace “stupid”, like grumpy,misunderstood 88) ;D
    (joking, mods deserve some respect, except Soya ;D )

2. some ppl have important data like internet banking password,credit card,etc 88)

3. you have alyssa milano pic?
    http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/4/5/8/f_beatenm_24f8cba.gif

i have keira knightley, how about a trade ;D !ot!

1. Right! Irritating, misunderstood, grumpy, nauseating, mother in law, moderators! :wink: Better? (:KWL) :smiley:

2. Yep, however, the “choose one” hacking method isn’t exactly what is going to happen, besides, why do that when they can hack the bank and make it worth their while? Phishing? Email? Why hack a single user? Can it happen, well, yes. Can malware and other infections pose a threat? Sure! A home user should leave this type of personal info off of a PC at all costs. I do online banking but NEVER will I keep the password etc… on my computer or my bank files, then I’m asking for it. Truth is, if you use a computer on or off the web, you are risking security, period. If someone wants into a PC , adding A2 over Comodo, or adding every software you know of, won’t stop them. One good security is just as good as 10. A basis for each of course, firewall, anti-virus, etc… but adding 3 firewalls will do NOTHING more than one.

3. I have MANY Alyssa Milano pics. ;D Let me know if you want some :slight_smile:

And no, I won’t trade Alyssa for that Anorexic pirate! (:LGH)

Cheers,

Paul

1. Sometimes they just want your connection and your bandwidth.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

True and just a note, if this the case, change image names if hosting, seems to be a nice way to cut them off and do so regularly. They are no better than spammers, down with them!

Paul

Yes, my sister says the same thing whenever i try to get her to use comodo firewall 3 on her own standalone computer, she is just happy with her router and antimalware.

OMG, it’s like some kind of massive !ot! invasion.

Sorry, Luketan… you could try to help Paul or shin, but I suspect they are waaaaay beyond it.

Gentleman.

oh sorry, kail, back to the topic…

keira knightley is not anorexic >:( …oh i forgot !ot! ;D

ehm (:NRD)

@ Luketan, question:
i’ve seen several of your posts saying that Threatfire is better than Defense+, that’s for HIPS part of CFP.
and now you say you’d rather use OA free than CFP3, any specific reason? why don’t use CFP3 (firewall + leak protection?).aren’t they pretty much the same?

This is a misinterpretation of my remarks.

Defense+ should in theory be more secure than TF, but this theory hinges on the critical assumption that the user responses correctly. I am not convinced that this assumption holds for most people (i’ll be immodest and say that the average user probably knows less than me) and in my own case, i’m not 100% sure either.

The problem here is one can happily coast along and you won’t know if you will be smart enough to respond correctly until on the rare rare occasion when you NEED to respond correctly and you might or you might not. There is no way to tell. Of course most people tend to overestimate their own abilities, and as a famous paper has shown the less competent you are, the more likely you are to fall prey to overestimating your abilities.

Running leak tests and malware on purpose defeats the purpose because you KNOW that you should block…

You can probably setup an experiment to test whether users can respond correctly, but based on data collected by the very first prevx (back when it was prevx home and one of the early hips), they found that 50% of users were responding incorrectly and allowing malware to do stuff in response to prompts

Also i didn’t say i rather use OA free than CFP3 in all situations, just that some of my setups have OA free, some CPF3

Luketan,

My point is this. If you don’t trust a security, simply, you shouldn’t use it at all. If it’s not trustworthy it doesn’t belong as it won’t do any good anyway, regardless how many others you set up, it’s only taking up space. “Not saying Comodo products aren’t” I use the firewall still and do trust it over others that have let things get by , Kerio for one. If someone is going to bother getting through your Comodo firewall, and assuming you have a router, then really, setting up different software securities on other machines won’t likely do any good.

If you do keep important information on your computer where you feel the need to do this, it’s as I stated, if you “and we’re talking home users” connect to the web or use a PC, you ARE at risk no matter what you have and sensitive info is something I back up to other media or stand alone, not keep on my active PC knowing the threats are there. If you have sensitive info, then encrypt it at least, there are other steps besides installing numerous different security softwares . Really, how many larger corps and banks have been intruded? Well, they are more worth the hacking trouble and once again, even if it does happen to a user, it’s typically not worth the time or due to info being leaked from lack of knowledge as to installing rogueware\malware or other scams.

So that said, it’s up to you of course, your opinion, your method, I understand. The only thing I don’t understand is why “if you don’t trust CPF” why have it installed on any machines then? I would not install CFP on specific machines if I didn’t trust it , yet install other security software that I did trust on other machines, that’s the part that makes no sense to me.

Your sister is cutting out security altogether, not just arguing a point on what securities. I have a nat router, but will still have a software firewall to pick up where the router leaves off. You do need protection and yes, even though I have little in the way of info on my PC, I still don’t want to deal with an attack and waste my time so do keep specific securities. That and a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Paul

understood, thx :■■■■

There are degrees of trust.

If someone is going to bother getting through your Comodo firewall, and assuming you have a router, then really, setting up different software securities on other machines won't likely do any good.

A very good point. How then do you reconcile this with the mantra on forums like this that you should use many layers for protection? Does using layers imply that one does not trust the layer before?

If one is asked to run a second on-demand antivirus just to see if anything is missed out, does that mean, one does not “trust” the primary antivirus?

I personally feel diversity is the key. Take a look at the excellent post at Rustock C no longer a myth, no longer a threat | Page 8 | Wilders Security Forums . it’s about avs but the principle is similar.

If you do keep important information on your computer where you feel the need to do this, it's as I stated, if you "and we're talking home users" connect to the web or use a PC, you ARE at risk no matter what you have and sensitive info is something I back up to other media or stand alone, not keep on my active PC knowing the threats are there. If you have sensitive info, then encrypt it at least, there are other steps besides installing numerous different security softwares . Really, how many larger corps and banks have been intruded? Well, they are more worth the hacking trouble and once again, even if it does happen to a user, it's typically not worth the time or due to info being leaked from lack of knowledge as to installing rogueware\malware or other scams.

I don’t disagree. And yes i use encryption for my most important files.

Your sister is cutting out security altogether, not just arguing a point on what securities.

100% disagree here. You seem to have an attitude that says if one is using more security than you (e.g me) , one is paranoid, and if one is using less security (e.g my sister), one is underprotected.

I know for a fact that many many top security people, do not use any software firewall. and choosing not to use a certain security component is not “cutting out security”.

1. Anybody tell me where to look in my profile to set my avatar?

Thanks,
turnorburn

Oh one other question, one of you said that the Comodo Firewall wasn’t enough protection, how many Firewalls
do you use and why? I see a picture from the silent era with 3 different Fire Depts. going to put out a fire, they
end up getting in a wreck. Is that a stupid question or…

JUST KEEP ONE FIREWALL, MORE FIREWALLS WILL FIGHT AGAINST EACH OTHER ;D

Go to profile, forum profile information → set your profile

Xan

;D Thanks for the tip, I’ll set that avatar later busy day ahead, that’s why I used the reference to the 3 fire dept, first thing I did was turn off the MS Firewall