I have found a bug

CFP 3.0.25.378

I left my PC running, and when I came back to it. I saw “OOPs. You have found a bug. CFP has had a problem and had to shut down”. I sent an automatic report, but has anyone had similar? It left FW-less and on the Web for an unknown time, and this is the first time this has happened to me. I have been using CFP for quite a time, with no trouble at all.

Is there any way I can see what may have caused it?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Hey Nick,
You running Windows? Is there anything in the event log [Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Application] ?

H! RealOldNick

What OS are you using?

:THNK :THNK :THNK

Yep. My apologies guys

Windows XP sp2.
CFP
Avast AV V4.8
BoClean 4.27
seem to be the things I should say

All I know is that when I came back Thunderbird was trying to collect email (all legit) and the error message was there, but blocking TBird from fetching.

And yes there is heaps in the Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Application. But strangely the latest actual error was on the previous afternoon. Overnight there was just “Information”. What do I do to interpret the viewer’s output?

Under System in the same event viewer there are dozens, make that hundreds , of error signals
in an almost constant stream at about the same time as the latest Application error.

There are lots of Avast warnings (which I never saw happen) but they were the day before.

I added this info in case it meant anythong.
Thanks very much for your help.

Nick

Just to show I am not a shrinking little wimp I have looked at more, and the Avast warnings were simply failed attempts at downloading the latest database.

The last Error under Application was a corrupt avi that shut down wmplayer, which I remember.

The stream of errors under System are at about 30 second intervals and are as follows

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service LogMeIn with arguments “” in order to run the server:
{C3ADA61A-4E0E-48D4-A2B1-AE5F76D01044}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Microsoft Support.

Which I did, but it was not much help

Nick

I am starting to feel scared… I am another guy who “didn’t have any problem with CFP until a couple of days ago”, and now I am reading the forum, I am finding one of my problems in one post, other of my problem in another one…

By the way, I also use Avast! 4.8 (free version, I don’t know if your’s is free or pro).

I will go offline now, or I will turn paranoid and also I would keep posting “me too” replies… and I don’t want to spam the forum.

I sort of understand how you feel.

I have been in the same position (not here but in other situations)

However. Keep watching, and see if anything comes up.

Remember that for all of that, these guys are constantly working on this, and it’s free.

To my mind they actually provide a better service than any paid FW I have tried (three).

The only possible reason I have trouble now, is that I actually downloaded the absolute latest version, where I had been using an older V3 release before.

I am leaving my PC running tonight to see if the problem recurs.

Nick

I’ve had this also happen once on my system, Vista Sp1 x32 3.0.25, CMF, BOClean, Avast 4.8
But after a fresh start all things are back to normal. Nothing to worry about just a bug at some stage in the executable, as long as we keep sending the reports they will fix it.

Hello again Nick,
I figured you’d likely find a mess of ‘events’ and likely errors as well, but was hoping there would be at least one or two for Comodo (just to give a clue re; CFP shutdown) while you were afk.

For example, at one point I had an app that was conflicting w/CFP at boot-time and with the help of the event viewer + a few interprocess memory adjustments in D+ was able to sort it out. Sometimes I get lucky. I’m afraid I’m not too hip to Avast and it’s workings though :-.

You up and running okay now, btw?

Yep. thanks. Everything seems fine over the last couple days of constant running.

And no, I could not see anything about CFP.

I was surprised about the problem. CFP has always been as steady a rock for me.

Ah well, computers… hate them or ignore them, you can’t love them

Nick