I cannot access my ext HDD after encryption, plz help me recover my data..

Hi, i used COMODO Data Encryption tool to encrypt my external hard disk (Seagate 320GB), but system (Win 7) was shut down after a long time, wen it rebooted it asked for a password and nothing cn b viewed while typin the password, after that it reboots and showed a blue screen, i restarted again, nw it restored my system resulting in uninstalling COMODO sw. Nw i cant access my external hard disk, it shows Formating required…stil nw i havnt formatd it, desperately seeking a way to recover my ext HDD files…Plz help…

Hi rahu999,

I think you need to install CDE back on your system to be able to ‘mount’ your external drive.
It’s been a while since I used CDE but install it on your system without external drive attached, once it’s installed reboot with external drive attached and see if you can ‘mount’ the external drive with the password used to encrypt the drive.

Hi Ronny,

Tanz for d reply but it didnt work, i think the encryption process was interrupted wich resulted in this…any idea how to recover my data frnd…?

Are you saying the system crashed during the encryption process of the external drive?

Yes it did crash during encryption…tats why the PW didnt wrk…any ideas… ???

I think we need to wait for Staff to respond, I’m not a ware of a way to recover the data if crashed in the middle of encryption, I hope there is a ‘resume’ encryption option to get things fixed.
I’ll see if I can get someone to join the thread here.

In the mean time I’d advise not to use the external drive to prevent further issues or reducing the chance on recovery.

Ya i wil wait until i find a soln to this…tanz for d help…really appreciate it… ;D

in your case, you might have to fix your MBR, then boot into windows. I would get your system working without the external drive first. When you are ready to access the external drive, make sure your antivirus is not checking boot sectors otherwise cde won’t work. Install cde, then plug in the external drive. You should be able to see the encrypted drive if all is well. If you can’t…the data is lost…hope you made a good backup.

Louhbo

I am a managing director of a company called Business Power UK Ltd and i currently use COMODO SSL certificates for my company.

I downloaded and installed Comodo Disk Ecryption and started the process of encrypting my hard drive. I set a password for the encrypted data but i never set up a boot time password. I remember I also unticked the USB option. I had to go out and shut down my computer once the encryption process had finished, when I returned and turned on my computer it came up asking for a boot password, i tried the one i used for the encryption, but it came up with an error message re the operating system.

I NEVER set a password up for the boot and after speaking to UK supportand they suggested FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, it resolved the password problem and there is now no prompt, however it wont allow me to go any further and comes back with a message saying disk read error occurred and is asking to cntl, alt del to restart

I tried to take out the hard drive and connect it to another computer as suggested in the forums, with many people suffering from the same problem, it showed the c and d drives in the my computer section, but wont allow me to access it, i installed CDE onto the other computer and it is showing the d drive of the now external drive but not the c drive with all my data.

After still no response from the ticket issued on the 6th July (Support Ticket:JQY-392316) I took my hard drive to a foresic data recovery lab last thursday and after 3 days they said they cannot recover the data as they cannot access the C drive, to decrypt the data. I am now being charged £200.00 ($320.00 USD) for this service and I still have no access to my data which is including ALL the information for my UK companies accounts (Due on the 31st Sept 2011 !!) as well very valuable company information. So far I have also lost 2 weeks of business and 247 unprocessed client leads !!!

I am a customer of COMODO SSL, i have COMODO fire wall and anti virus on my computer, until now I avidly promoted your products, but your company have left me in very bad position with no support. If i have to send the hard drive to you directly to recover the data then i will and i dont want to go through the litigation route, but I need to recover my data ASAP.

Thank you for your time I look forward to your response and soloution

Hi murphych,

Welcome to the forums,
Can I ask which version of CDE you installed?

If you have the drive attached to the other system can you ‘mount’ the C partition of the affected disk?

Hello,

It is the current version that was available on your website on the 06th July 2011. I am running XP Home on a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo.

Re: ‘mount’ the C partition: “I tried to take out the hard drive and connect it to another computer as suggested in the forums, with many people suffering from the same problem, it showed the c and d drives in the my computer section, but wont allow me to access it, i installed CDE onto the other computer and it is showing the d drive of the now external drive but not the c drive with all my data”

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your prompt response

Kind Regards

Murphych

Hi,
First of all I’d like to express that I am NOT Comodo staff. I’m a volunteer (as can be seen on my signature) helping others on the forums.

Re: 'mount' the C partition: "I tried to take out the hard drive and connect it to another computer as suggested in the forums, with many people suffering from the same problem, it showed the c and d drives in the my computer section, but wont allow me to access it, i installed CDE onto the other computer and it is showing the d drive of the now external drive but not the c drive with all my data"

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your prompt response

Kind Regards

Murphych

Did you try to ‘Add encrypted partition’ for this C partition in the other system with CDE installed?
(right mouse click shows the option).

Based on the fact that you already shipped the disk to a ‘rescue’ service I can assume that there is no ‘backup’ of this important data?,
as that would be the easiest route here.

Did you backup the encryption settings after crypting the disk and create a rescue CD?

If not the only thing I can think of is to abuse an other system to encrypt that disk (without valuable data on it, or with having a recent backup) backup those (use the same) settings.
Create a rescue CD of that system and try to boot that rescue CD on your own system to see if you can decrypt the disk.

If that doesn’t work I’m out of options, last thing to try could be to email contact desktopsupport[at]comodo.com as shown on the website under CDE/support.
Disk Encryption – Comodo Free Disk Encryption Software

I’ll lock the other two help requests you posted, as it’s only confusing others having multiple threads with the same requests.

[attachment deleted by admin]