i am getting Attack

Unless you are behind a router, in which case you are only testing your router, not your software firewall.

yes, i sometimes wonder if a software firewall is necessary as the router alone puts me in stealth mode on grc. In any case i run comodo always, better be safer (:WIN)

Most hardware firewalls don’t have outbound protection like CFP does. :wink:
Mine says it does, but the configuration is very limited and basic.

My router also shows stealth, (Even with the built in firewall off…) but as .FaZio93. mentioned, most hardware firewalls don’t offer outbound protection. This is the reason I run CIS. The firewall in CIS is basically doing nothing against incoming traffic, but I think the outbound protection is well worth running it in addition to my router. CIS is so easy on system resources that the fact that the firewall isn’t doing anything most of the time doesn’t bother me at all.

And a router firewall would not protect you against compromised computers at your local network.

No, I meant how does someone get attacked. Like, could you get attacked when you go to some “bad” website, when someone else has your same ISP, or what?

Quick one for everyone.

Routers or should i say home routers are generally referred to as hardware firewalls by most.My question is does what is actually inside the router in the way of software have much of an effect on the protection it offers.

Is most of the software for the network cards in home routers Unix based?
Most now have SPI and other tweakable settings,are differant makes more secure than others,what about upnp, ipsec forwarding etc

How do you set up your router?

Just saw your post Jeremy,no two people can have the same IP address outside of home networks,if someone knows your IP(it can change) then they now where your at and can try and attack you.If you have a home network distributed via a router then the router will block anything it`s not expecting,if however you are directly behind a modem and they know your current address then they are attacking the computer direct,if you go to a bad website you have accessed that site so your router will allow stuff from that site through to your computer as you have asked for it by going there or clicking a link.

This is a good site for this type of stuff:-http://www.firewall.cx/

Port scanning happens all the time. Sometimes some malicious person will scan IP ranges for open ports in search of possible systems to attack. But it’s usually just benign scans like PC Anywhere or other remote control software looking for compatible systems on your ISP’s network.

Contrary to what a lot of vendors of security software want you to believe though, a port scan does not indicate an attack, nor that whoever is doing the scan is trying to gain access to your system…

Thank you. But I’m a bit confused when you say, “no two people”. Are you saying “no” to me, and meaning that two people can have the same IP? Or are you meaning that two people can’t people can’t have the same IP?

No two devices can have the same public IP address.

Your external IP is yours and yours alone until the lease expires.
Then it is renewed or you get another but they are always unique.

Thanks. But how come even when I disconnect and reconnect my router to the internet, I still have the same IP? (By going to a site like whatismyip.com)

Because your lease hasn’t expired with your ISP.

Oh.

BTW, how come some sites, like Wikipedia I think, say that you may want to register so that your IP address won’t get banned by someone else with the same IP?

You could go and get banned by IP and then ask ISP for new IP.
So they like to have you register with email and password etc. that won’t change,
like if your lease was up and you got the bad fellas used/banned IP.

Ok, now I get you. Thank you everyone for so patiently helping me! :slight_smile: