Huh? This is new... [Resolved]

I was browsing Wilders and I saw this:

Anyone care to elaborate? I must say that I think ‘Fuzzfas’ is overreacting here, but still, since when did CIS have license activation in the free version?

Beanie

Never seen that one before… So I wouldn’t know what to think of it. Only when it comes from wilders, I always get suspicious. Well, wouldn’t hurt if anyone could tell me that it actually exists ???

eXPerience

I must say, the screen does look like it could be fake :-\

Yep I saw it, but I forgot in what version.
Yesterday I’ve installed CIS from scratch and I didn’t see that.

I’ve seen this dialog box twice, I guess but it doesn’t appear every time I uninstall and install CIS.

Have a nice day :wink:

It’s the very last screen of the installation, just before reboot. I just installed 522 in a VM

[attachment deleted by admin]

So is there any other reason for it except Comodo getting some statistics about how many installs they have ?

eXPerience

There’s been a licence screen in the installer for as long as I can remember. It was a pain in the early days of v2.

I’ve never installed the paid version, so I have no idea if it serves a different purpose in that version.

I guess it could be used to collects statistics, but then again, so could joining Threatcast…

I can sum thing up here. It’s the same as quite abit of other products out there

Let’s compare it to a very very popular software called utorrent. It works the same way. It even asks if you like to install the “ask toolbar” <—you can easily click no.

Since utorrent works the same way, why aren’t people running a smear campaign on “utorrent”

I’ll write this like I did in the other post

I feel the wilders forums are based in 3 sections of people there 1)Offical AV companys that run there section of the forum with some paid emplyees there trying to "woo" people to use there product 2)fanboys that are dedicated to a certian Brand of software and anything else is basicly second rated or in a few cases bad mouth other products other then their personall favorite 3)people that like to play with different software or basicly never stick to one brand

Some people will come up with any excuse or angle to bad mouth another product especially on the wilders forum. I can pull in a bunch of quotes and links to back it up, but I don’t have that much time on my hands

I remember that one, I was happy to see it gone :D, seems I was to early being happy…

eXPerience

Yea i have seen this screen every time i have installed Comodo. But it doesn’t usually stay visible for long so if your not paying attention you can easily miss it.

Then I guess I should use a slower pc from now on :-X. Thanks for all the comments guys !

Just another question : does anyone think it’s annoying or something, I mean, is it ?

eXPerience

For me it isn’t annoying. It seems that yesterday I’ve missed it completely. :smiley:

Then I guess I should use a slower pc from now on
LOL :-TU

Or just pay attention lol.

I don’t find it annoying and like i said you barely notice it.

Yeah, i 've nothing better to do than faking installation screens and artwork with flaming keys… 88)

I've never installed the paid version, so I have no idea if it serves a different purpose in that version.

I guess it could be used to collects statistics, but then again, so could joining Threatcast…

This isn’t the paid version. It’s firewall ONLY in proactive mode, NO AV, NO Threatcast (opted out during installation).

I feel the wilders forums are based in 3 sections of people there

While i suspect that in Comodo forums there is only 1 section of people apparently.

Let's compare it to a very very popular software called utorrent. It works the same way. It even asks if you like to install the "ask toolbar" <---you can easily click no.

Yeah, Comodo had the same toolbar too.

Since utorrent works the same way, why aren't people running a smear campaign on "utorrent"

Or Foxit Reader? Or other Ask Toolbar products? Mmmm, i don’t know… Maybe because Wilder’s is a security forum, people don’t talk much about Utorrent…

Some people will come up with any excuse or angle to bad mouth another product especially on the wilders forum. I can pull in a bunch of quotes and links to back it up, but I don't have that much time on my hands

Oh, that was badmouthing? You said it! Funny how in Wilder’s i have been accused by OA fanboys for defending Comodo and now by Comodo’s fanboys that i badmouth Comodo. And i can back it up too, it’s all on my profile in Wilder’s.

Not being a fanboy is tough i guess. :smiley:

My dear friend, every user has his quirks. There are fellas that quit a program because they don’t like the colour, the GUI, the programmer, they don’t understand how it works and blame it, they don’t like pop ups, etc.

I have a dislike for online activations. I admit it. On the bright side, i don’t call others to follow my quirks.

First of all, nice to see you also on our forums. Feel free to share your point of view without being heavely moderated to be within the forum advertising policy ;D
Just kidding

Sorry, it was just my first reaction as I looked at the pic. I mean, it’s so corrupted as hell, not good coded (see part of the flames on top ?)

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4273/41321826.png

This isn't the paid version. It's firewall ONLY in proactive mode, NO AV, NO Threatcast (opted out during installation).
Hi, free and paid version should be the same, so there shouldn't be any difference
While i suspect that in Comodo forums there is only 1 section of people apparently.

88)

again, you’re free to say what you think. We like people that thank Comodo for their hard work, but we LOVE the people that help us to develop the Comodo software to the next stage !

best regards,
eXPerience
Comodo Volenteer Moderator

Hi again,

could you please elaborate on what exactly bothers you about it ? You do not get any spam e-mails, you do not get infected with malware, nothing actually happens. If you would look to all the security programs, you have to activate them all, free and paid. there is no program where I haven’t seen that yet.

best regards,
eXPerience
Comodo Volenteer Moderator

Well, i was just passing by to see what’s in the works for v.4 and stumbled upon this. What i think about current Comodo release is what i wrote in Widler’s.

1. i don’t like this “activation” thing.
  2. I think the pop up windows where better back when the “treat as” and other options were directly visible
  3. I am not fond of TC type solutions, but since it’s an optional, i don’t care about it.

For the above reasons, i currently use 3.5.x.439

Sorry, it was just my first reaction as I looked at the pic. I mean, it's so corrupted as hell, not good coded (see part of the flames on top ?)

I am not sure whether the corruption was “original” or an artifact caused by my screencapture program, but the text was there allright. Since i am not a “happy clicker” guy (that’s the point in using HIPS), i saw it and thought “WTF?!”.

again, you're free to say what you think. We like people that thank Comodo for their hard work, but we LOVE the people that help us to develop the Comodo software to the next stage !

Thank you.

(eXPerience quick modify : added a “/” to fix the quotes)