How to turn off the keyboard numpad light while maintaining its functionality?

I don’t think it’s in the BIOS. At work I notice the keyboard lights are somehow off but the Numpad keys still. I want to mimic the same for my PC ;D. Any ideas?

i believe it does deal with the BIOS, because it happens the same thing if someone tries to start a remote desktop connection the lights on your keyboard are on but the number pad doesnt work… so you have to turn your lights of to turn his/her on lol idk,

cg,

Keyboard lights are maintained via bits inside a soft port’s byte. You could easily play around on console based machines but it’ll drive you crazy trying to prevent Windows (or any other higher OS) from maintaining the LED state.

However, if you are willing to ■■■■■■ around with this I’ll look the port number up for you.

The only setting in my BIOS is toggling that light to be auto started upon booting up, which isn’t exactly what I was looking for.

If it’s that difficult and can risk the OS maintaining it then I won’t bother. I was just curious :slight_smile:

lol, you made me curious too,
and curiosity killed a cat…my grandma tells me

…i think nv has it…

cg

Soyabeaner… no, it won’t destroy your OS. Rather the OS will destroy your nerves making you fail :wink:

So if you’re willing to try, you can’t do any harm - just spend a few hours of programming…

Here’s your link: http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~lockwood/class/cs306/books/artofasm/Chapter_20/CH20-2.html

Desolder/snip one leg of the LED?

Or black insolation tape :smiley:

Other means than physically removing the LED (:TNG) like reversing the state (light off = numlock on, light on = numlock off) - I would even accept that :slight_smile:

Something here that may help you: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-001

Thanks. That was actually one of the first sites I already googled. My InitialKeyboardIndicators value is already 0 in all locations except in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard. May have to reboot for it to take effect. If it still doesn’t work I might ask my boss for the secret ingredient ;D

Thanks, this is a great and interesting link.

However, I think Soyabeaner just wants the LED to remain dark while NUM-Lock state actually remains on.
The Registry tweak seems to turn off the NUM-Lock state itself, I guess.