How to install with Firewall Security Level disabled?

Thanks for the answers.

But I know its possible to install the firewall remotely, even though the installation dialog is interrupted because the firewall is enabled and thus because of the needed restart. Thus I could write a script, which sets the autostart type of the firewall service to disabled after a certain time (after starting the installation) and then do a remote reboot.
Should work?

its possible to install the firewall remotely, even though the installation dialog is interrupted because the firewall is enabled and thus because of the needed restart. Thus I could write a script, which sets the autostart type of the firewall service to disabled after a certain time (after starting the installation) and then do a remote reboot.
There's only 1 way to find out

I don’t think anybody here has ever tried doing what your doing (I could be wrong), which is why it’s hard to give you an answer. If I gave you an answer to something that I’m not sure of, then I would be lying to you.

If you do figure out a way, please post on how you did it, so anybody else that ends up in the situation your in could do it too :slight_smile:

Hope you had a good christmas and a good new years :■■■■

hi, sorry for my poor English

i have the same problem, too.

i installed the firewall on windows xp remotely, after installation, i configured Network Security Policy, added Network Zone, and Application rules for Remote Desktop, then reboot.
it works fine, i can control the machine remotely after rebooting.

but on windows 2008 server standard, the remote desktop connection was broken while installing, i can’t configure the firewall after installation.

could anybody help me? i have to install the firewall remotely on windows 2008 server.

@dream6495: Same thing for me. I installed the firewall on my root server a few months ago and locket out myself. Unfortunately there is really no possibility to turn off the firewall remotely once it is activated. You have to do it directly at the server. Therefore I had to pay a fee of 78 Euroes at that time… once and never again.

sounds bad, sorry to heard that
i am still trying, and if you have a solution, i hope you could share that with me
this is helpful to the people who need to control virtual private server remotely

May be Comodo Endpoint Security Manager might do the trick for you?

The Endpoint Security Manager is a software to administrate the firewall and the antivirus program, isn’t it?
Thus, it’s not what we need because we want to setup the firewall on the server itself and not to use the server as distributor of policies or something like that.

You can do remote installs with ESM, so if you need to do that, you need ESM.

But then I have to setup the ESM at home and do a remote install to the server? That won’t work.

Now you got me curious(this would save me trouble too in the future if needed to help other people) and since I have plently of time on my hands, were there is a will, there is a way

I’m going to reformant an old computer(couple of years old) and install windows server 2008 (propably take a while)

i installed the firewall on windows xp remotely, after installation, i configured Network Security Policy, added Network Zone, and Application rules for Remote Desktop, then reboot. it works fine, i can control the machine remotely after rebooting.
and
but on windows 2008 server standard, the remote desktop connection was broken while installing, i can't configure the firewall after installation.
Instead of me starting from scratch. Can you tell me how you installed CIS on windows xp remotely(in simple terms), that way I can base that idea and try to find a method that can install it on my windows 2008 server. (The installation can't be that much different) When I figure out how to do it, I'll tell you in simple step-by-step proccess

P.S. if you don’t want to post it on the forum, you can just PM me :slight_smile:
P.S.S. I think your idea will make my own job easier, THANKS :-TU

Which version of Comodo Firewall are you using?

hi,

my experience,

1. install windows xp
  2. enable remote desktop
  3. control that remotely by remote desktop connection, and install the firewall
  4. after installation, do not restart computer, click the shortcut ‘COMODO Internet Security’ on the desktop, then configure it. Add network zone and application rule for remote desktop connection.
  5. restart computer.
  6. when windows xp finish booting, you will able to connect it from another computer.

if install on windows 2003/2008 server, the remote desktop connection will be block in the step 4th

I suppose that in XP it’s not possible to run the service which is setup during the installation before doing a restart.
In Server 2008 the service can be startet immediatly after it’s set up.

couldn’t COMODO add an option “do not block remote desktop connection after installation” in the installation package?
i know, remote desktop connection might not the most popular remote control application, i just offer a direction of thinking.
maybe “do not block specified application after installation”, if i check the option, let me choose applications and define rules.
i think that will more suitable for most situation.

I think the easiest thing for the programmer would be some kind of command line option which could be added to the setup.exe, so that the firewall is not enabled immediately during installation but after the first restart.