How To Achieve Max Security With ZERO Alerts! - Disccusion

I followed the instructions.
However, to my astonishment lol now it is impossible to install certain applications, e.g. when installing FreshFtp I instantly get this error:
Unable to execute blah blah
Error 5, access is denied.
Same with winscp419.

Any ideas for solultion, plz?

I’m guessing you didn’t read all of the instructions?

You are right, I did what the clip says ONLY.

Now I did the extra task and… works like a charm.

Thanks a lot!

p.s. how hard is it to infiltrate my laptop now?

Hello

This is just a reminder the Stickied Topic has been updated with some new previous information, Simplified.

Cheers
Josh

I am using CIS without the AV
Are the recommended settings for maximum security with Zero alerts the same as if i was using the AV.
That is do i still use proactive security as the configuration.
Thanks and Regards

Most stuff can be penetrated… 88) 88)

make sure you keep all software up to date if CIS malfunction, usually that will lower the risk of getting infected and decrease the numbers of security flaws that hackers can take advantage off… :a0 :a0

You might read about disabling services if you want to take it a step further… Usually avoiding running stuff you won’t use is a good idea… Perhaps removing programs you don’t need also…

• Disable ipv6… Unless you uses it… Since comodo has yet to support it…

But unless you had like backdoor 1.0 installed when switching to this mode I highly doubt you will get infected… =) CIS is a killer when properly configured…

You might check Firewall > Advanced > Network security Policy from time to time…

If you see something “fishy” or some program you don’t use there being able to access the net change it to “threat as blocked application”… Windows Updater should still be allowed thou… If you can’t connect to the net anymore then blocking that application probably wasn’t the best move… But its easy fixed by just removing the rule all together and next time that application connects CIS will remake the rule…

I believe its a good idea to have some “knowledge” of what programs are allowed to connect to the net… If a application is unknown to you… Perhaps google the name/ask on the forum about it… =)

Yes… Proactive will assure you that CIS intercepts all it can… Key loggers, screen monitoring etc… IMO its crazy that CIS is not set to proactive after the install… Its so much more secure…

But what do you do when people complain about popups… 88) ;D

Thanks.
That’s most helpful

Yes.

Proactive Security can REPLACE any AV. Using Parental Control + Proactive, There is no need for AV besides for usability purposes (Detecting and removing known viruses, That might come in to your PC or already exist on your machine) - I still keep AV for this reason.

Cheers,
Josh

Just got an issue 3xist.

The problem with putting Install/Uninstall mode is that, when you switch to that and you want to update a program, eg. Pidgin (a chat messenger program), Defense+ will pop-up like crazy.

Then, it will keep popping up when you use the updated Pidgin program, and you need to Allow several commands. This means that if you switched back to Proactive/Parental Mode (straight after updating, and therefore not allowing the extra commands to be allowed), Pidgin won’t be able to function properly! (since in Proactive/Parental Mode, everything is blocked without an alert).

So there you have it. This is quite a frustrating aspect of classical HIPS I guess. Any suggestions?

ssj100,

Yes that’s true. Maybe we should say, after installing applications, Put Firewall and Defense+ in Training Mode, launch the application, Then close it and switch back to the original. This can be a inconvenience however off course. :frowning:

But hopefully, people aren’t installing new applications on a daily basis - As the information in the sticky really targets:
A) People know there computers are Clean of malware.
B) They install new software rarely - Just want anything else blocked and everything already installed working right for them.

I appreciate any contribution or suggestions. It’s good people test this.

Cheers,
Josh

I use Clean PC mode and everything for the new application is learnt automatically when I change to my normal configuration. The exception is the firewall where I use safe mode or custom mode but I very rarely install something new that needs the internet and do not find this a problem.

Clean PC Mode will still have issues when you update an application. When an application gets updated, the updated .exe files etc will move to the “My Pending Files”, and will become untrusted. Then the pop-ups will begin again. Right?

I am not sure what this means.

1. Navigate to Miscellaneous>Manage My Configurations Export your Internet Security Configuration, and import it as “Install/Uninstall” Configuration"

Is it necessary.
Could it be further explained
Thanks,
I will get there some day.
Regards

Hi Rambo,

This configuration is used for installing new applications you like to install or if an application update might not work or even uninstalling apps, So you can allow the pop ups and switch to this, once the updating/uninstall/install completed, switch back to proactive. This is really the only small inconvenience: Installing new apps, uninstalling and updating. But an average user would not be doing those 3 things all the time, It’s a good config to have though. But if some one get suggest a better way please let me know.

By the way, New thread and has been revised (New thread because the other one had recycle bin icon, was restored from the forum bin haha).

https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews_cis/how_to_achieve_max_security_with_zero_alerts-t44371.0.html

Added just a funky finish:

This is Max Security with ZERO Hassle and we can all use this configuration and install it on friends and families computers! Comodo Internet Security version 4, by default, will be similar to this using features of Sandboxing, Behavior Blocker and Time Machine (But that's another thread). Smiley But for now, this is the perfect way to go for anyone!

Max Security…
Zero Hassle…
Zero Alerts…
No Worries…

:slight_smile:

edit: I forgot… Also have a FAQ for your Q…

Cheers,
Josh

Thanks Josh.
Maybe one day i will understand what it is all about.
Until then i will have to continue asking questions,which is what i have been doing since v.2.4
Regards
Philip

You can change configuration to one using safe mode for installation. The new files will not then be added to my pending files. Or clean out my pending files after installation.

Sure. It’s okay mate. I want you to ask questions. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Josh

Guys…

Can anyone confirm that the latest version (v3.11) Parental Control works OK? It seems to work OK for me… That way I can get rid of the work-around text in the sticky & cut some more fat…

Cheers,
Josh

I still have the problem where changes to the settings in parental control are not saved in 3.11. I have to untick “enable password protection” to turn off the po-pup suppression. Not fixed.

Thx… I won’t edit then.

Cheers,
Josh