How do I know My Virus Signatures are actually updating?

I don’t know why Comodo’s AV is designed the way it is but I have never been able to verify how many signatures I have, what they are or anything about them… All I ever get is “virus database updated” and that’s it - why is this?

Is this intentional or what?

This is the way it is currently designed. I believe a wish to this effect has been posted a while back.

Excuse me, but you are saying that a feature to allow users to confirm that their virus DB has actually changed by allowing visual inspection of the number and content is on a Wish List.

I see.

You can confirm it has changed by viewing Misc./About and checking the database version number. The actual signature count itself is, yes, on a wishlist to be displayed within CIS.
This link will show you the total signature count to date.

Pardon me for the length of time since my last review of responses to my post.

I read your advice concerning confirmation of the virus database. I tried your link but the link id dated June 16 and today is the 17th of June.

You have, according to your link, a database that yesterday alone added over 32 thousand signatures, and a total database of over 5 million. How large is a typical signature and how in the world can the virus scanner scan every file against 5000000 plus entries?

Even if you have an algorithm to analyze and quickly classify suspect strings candidates, to accelerate the scan by targeting a sub group of signatures, I am at a loss to understand how a scan actually functions. I have over 100,000 files on my computer and the whole scan completes in about 26 min. How is this possible? I don’t have a cray super processor.

Also I would note in passing that 25000 of the signatures added on June 16th are “unclassified.” Relative to what?

And how many signatures are “unclassified” out of the 5 million plus? My total folder containing “all” these signatures is only 59MB or 10bytes per signature - give or take. So what does the client side database contain - all or just some of the over 5000000 plus signatures?

And please note I have started a tread concerning the information contained in the Defense Event Log.

With what scanner do you compare? Notice that CIS is in the mid range area when it comes to scanning speed. In its default settings it skips files bigger than 20 MB.

Also I would note in passing that 25000 of the signatures added on June 16th are "unclassified." Relative to what?
Relative to the precious database. Database updates with only false positives are not published.
And how many signatures are "unclassified" out of the 5 million plus? My total folder containing "all" these signatures is only 59MB or 10bytes per signature - give or take. So what does the client side database contain - all or just some of the over 5000000 plus signatures?
Is your bases.cav 59 MB?
And please note I have started a tread concerning the information contained in the Defense Event Log.
Don't worry. It will be picked up.