How can Adobe Flash Player send and receive messages?

Periodically, Adobe Flash Player shows a popup in the system tray area, saying that updates are available, and asking if I want to install them.

Adobe is a reputable company, so I don’t have problems with the message. However, I have a question that might help me to understand firewalls.

Here is what must have happened.

1. AFP must have sent an outgoing message to ask: “Do you have any updates?”
  2. The AFP site sends back an incoming message, “Yes”.
  3. AFP then displays the popup, asking for permission to download.

My question is: How can the outgoing and incoming messages get past Comodo?

(BTW: I would prefer to do all my updates manually, apart from Windows Updates.)

Find the application rule for AFP and changes its current action from “ALLOW” (which is how it’s getting out to check for updates) to “ASK”.

Thanks for your response.

I haven’t edited a rule before. If I look in Firewall > Firewall tasks > Common tasks

I can see “Define a new trusted application”. I cannot see anything about editing an existing rule.

The Help file only mentions “Define a new trusted application”.

Please advise.

Hi OldGrantonian,

That’s not the area to find what you want. You should go Firewall > Firewall tasks > Advanced >Network Security Policy

Cheers

P.S.

Aside note: My personal opinion: never have Flash and Java auto-updates
Do standalone Setups with prior uninstalling old versions and cleaning folders leftovers and most importantly the registry

Did that. I now feel like an anorak.(:NRD)

(Or at least a second-deputy chief-assistant under-anorak 8) )

Aside note: My personal opinion: never have Flash and Java auto-updates Do standalone Setups with prior uninstalling old versions and cleaning folders leftovers and most importantly the registry

That sounds like excellent advice.

Anytime you update flash, you should visit
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager05.html
to disable auto-update…

Also if you have multiple users you will need to do this for each user :frowning:

SD

Also Shockwave, right click on applet then go to properties.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

SD

Thanks, SD :-TU. Never knew that the settings are from that URL

Pretty sneaky Adobe, welcome to the cloud…

SD