Hi all, I use Comodo Firewall and cmdagent.exe consumes 25-75% of CPU (1-3 cores out of 4) for more than 1 hour time to time.
An reboot temporarily solves the issue but it returns.
This starts after reinstalling CF, another reinstall (after using cleanuptool) does not solve the issue.
I even re-created (i.e. build from scratch) my configuration but no avail
My configuration is as follows:
Comodo Firewall 22.214.171.12436
Firewall - Enabled, Custom Ruleset (alert level: very high)
HIPS - Enabled, Safe mode
Auto containment - Disabled
Viruscope - Enabled, for all processes
Antivirus - Not installed
Windows 10 Pro 2004 64bit
Other security software
Avast Antivirus Premium (Firewall component not installed)
You could use SysInternals’ great tools “Process Explorer” and “Process Monitor” to try to figure out what causes cmdagent.exe high CPU load. Maybe cmdagent.exe is trying to read or access something on your system but something is preventing or blocking it from doing that. With the mentioned tools it would be possible to find out what cmdagent.exe during high CPU load is trying to do on your system. That information would very be helpful to know.
Ok now I got an interesting one. Process Monitor shows cmdagent.exe is repeatedly trying to access R:, which is a RAM drive.
R: has environment variable TMP, TEMP and Internet Explorer cache directory.
R: is writable, but I have another RAM drive S:, which is considered full by explorer. (I use NTFS compression so it indeed has some more spaces to use)
I disabled “USN journal logging” on S: via Everything (I don’t know exact meaning of this, but I don’t care as S: is just a temporal log drive) and CPU usage dropped instantly. :o
As for your question, it says “INVALID PARAMETER”.
It seems high CPU usage is caused by some I/O problems, but S: is created just a few days ago (i.e. problem started before creation) so S: must not be a root cause. I’ll keep an eye on this.
Hi, I also encounter the same random high CPU usage by cmdagent.exe after upgrading to win10 2004.
Restarting somehow fixed it, but after an hour or so, the cmdagent.exe randomly spiked and stuck at 100%CPU usage.
Before I updated to win10 2004, everything is fine.
I only have Comodo Antivirus and Firewall enabled. Other HIPS,website filtering etc are disabled.
Run IMDisk RAM Configuration, set it to 14 GB, check “allocate memory dynamically”, set drive letter to R: , file system to NTFS, check “Launch at Windows Startup”. UNCHECK “Create TEMP Folder”. Click OK.
Install Qbittorrent and use it to download stuff to the R: RAM drive. Size doesn’t matter, as long as there are around 100 - 200 zip files.
Now, randomly move the some of zip files from RAM drive to HDD. Move them back and out.
Continue with Qbittorrent downloading of small files.
Around 30 - 60 minutes later, cmdagent.exe will start with 1 core maxed cpu utilization, then spread to 2nd core and eventually all cores.