Have a couple of security-related questions on improving my security!

As a newbee i´ve got a couple of basic questions.

So i´m trying to stay safe on the web and when just using the computer, but there are so many opinions on which is the best scanner/AV/FW/Sandbox etc so a simple user like me gets very confused!

Atm i´m running Comodo FW with enhancement mode activated (i think it´s called in English) since running Win7 X64. Besides that all settings is default. (Suggested improvements?)

Using Avira AV since i was told that Comodos AV was “not that good”! (True/false?)

Browsing through Sandboxie when surfing. Why? Well i was told that Comodo FW Sandbox was inferior and mostly to keep out pop-ups. (true /false?) Using FF with Ad-Block and No-Script.

Besides those active softwares i also have a buch of “on-demand” scanners. MBAM, SAS etc that i run once in a while.

So what do i lack (besides knowledge)? Is there improvements to be done in FW configuration?

I wish there was a “Here´s the best setting for you with win x64, x32” etc thread so that you knew that your security was adequate!

All suggestions are most welcome!

I can suggest you turn on the Behavior blocker and but it to restricted.

When it comes to detection Comodo AV is on par with its peers these days. It is not always great with cleaning more advanced types of malware. I don’t know how it compares with Avira. But with the proactive measuere you’re taking it is hard to get infected in the first place. Is use the Comodo suite a I like to have Firewall and AV in one package.

Browsing through Sandboxie when surfing. Why? Well i was told that Comodo FW Sandbox was inferior and mostly to keep out pop-ups. (true /false?) Using FF with Ad-Block and No-Script.
The Comodo sandbox is not less safe but it is less versatile than Sandboxie.
Besides those active softwares i also have a buch of "on-demand" scanners. MBAM, SAS etc that i run once in a while.
Likewise.
So what do i lack (besides knowledge)? Is there improvements to be done in FW configuration?

I wish there was a “Here´s the best setting for you with win x64, x32” etc thread so that you knew that your security was adequate!

All suggestions are most welcome!

My colleague Chiron has a great guide to help you set up CIS: High quality HDMI cables in comparison - Gizmo's Best .

Also, please see my article about How to Stay Safe While Online.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Well, thank you for that!
Might be so that Avira will have to go. Getting sick of all those “pop-ups” about discounts etc! >:(

Will check out that guide.

Thx a lot guys!

You can disable those in the Advanced settings. just uncheck comodo message center

Hi andrei1997,
Good idea for CIS, but nilhe1 was talking about pop-ups from Avira as far as I can tell. :wink:

pop-ups from Avira as far as I can tell
just change how often avira checks for updates. You get a pop-up everytime it checks for updates.(As far as I can recall) You can change when it checks for updates to every couple of days to a week or something.

Fixed quote. Eric

I thought he was talking about the meaages with comodo offers and discounts.

Sorry for the delay!
About pop-ups i was talking about Avira! :smiley: But i´ll get rid of those in CIS too since i changed to CIS6 configured as Chirons guide suggested except for those “Optional changes” which do not suit my use!

Also decided to check my defence against actual malware to see that it works properly. So i installed VirtualBox on my old pc with Identical settings as my main but with the addition of ShadowDefender and RollBack RX on which i download approx one pack with live malwares a week with 40-700 live ones in each.

And yes, the AV misses quite a few since most are new and a couple use to be 0-day but the great part is that was the AV misses the BB and HIPS picks up! So far i haven´t been forced to use RollBack a single time!