I noticed that in the most recent update (31.0) scrolling is very… stuttery… and I figured out it was because CD limited the framerate to 60 while it had previously had 120 (because I have a 120Hz monitor)
Using this link in CD 30.0 used to report 120Hz refresh rate when running a 120Hz monitor, now in CD 31.0 it reports 60Hz to 63Hz on my 120Hz monitor, besides that it also says “BROWSER BUG: Chrome VSYNC non-synchronization bug. Restart browser.” I restarted my browser and I still get the same thing.
On the site previously mentioned I also found out about chrome://gpu (or in this case dragon://gpu) which reports the following:
[b]Graphics Feature Status[/b] Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable Compositing: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable 3D CSS: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable CSS Animation: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable WebGL: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable WebGL multisampling: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable Flash 3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable Texture Sharing: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable Video: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
GPU process was unable to boot: GPU access is disabled in chrome://settings.
Driver Bug Workarounds
Data exported 9/1/2014 12:03:11
Chrome version Chrome/188.8.131.52
Operating system Windows NT 6.3
Software rendering list version 0
Driver bug list version 2.22
ANGLE revision 2446
2D graphics backend Skia
Initialization time 0
GPU0 VENDOR = 0x10de, DEVICE= 0x1004
AMD switchable false
Driver vendor NVIDIA
Driver version 184.108.40.20621
Driver date 12-19-2013
Pixel shader version
Vertex shader version
Window system binding vendor
Window system binding version
Window system binding extensions
Reset notification strategy 0x0000
… loading …
GpuProcessHostUIShim: The GPU process crashed!
And as we see from the above it claims all things graphics doesn’t have hardware acceleration, it’s unavailable for some reason?
Specific symptoms of the bug and steps you can take to reproduce it (step by step).
The symptoms is a generally slower browser on a 120Hz monitor since the browser will think it should v-sync to 60 instead of 120(?) as well as hardware acceleration not working (?)
Specific steps you have taken to try to resolve it.
Restart my browser, disable all extensions, disable and re-enable hardware acceleration, played around in dragon://flags to see if I could find a setting that fixes it. (haven’t been able to resolve it)
Comodo Dragon Version (Stable/Beta) e.g. Dragon 220.127.116.11 (Beta); e.g. Dragon 18.104.22.168 (Stable)
Comodo Dragon version 31.0 (Stable)
Plugins/Themes installed in Comodo Dragon
Adobe Flash Player - Version: 11,9,900,170
Windows version (w/ 32 or 64-bit) e.g: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit); Windows XP SP 3 (32-bit)
Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
UAC status (diabled/enabled) if it applies to you [ for Vista/Windows 7 only! ]
System Drive where Windows is installed (e.g. C:, “C” Drive )
Place (installation path) where Comodo Dragon is installed
C:\Program Files (x86)\Comodo\Dragon\
User privileges (administrator, limited user, guest, etc.)
If you have Google Chrome installed then please mention it’s version and whether the same issue reproduces with it.
Google Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 m - Issue is NOT present.
Edit: I’d like to point out that this bug makes the browser really horrible to use for me, I think this might have been it for me… waiting so long for an update that would fix the extension updating issue and then this comes and fixes that but makes the overall browsing experience horrible… If I have to wait several weeks again for an update or a fix then I’m probably going to find another browser because this is seriously getting ridiculous.