hakin9 IT security magazine asks forComodo user's views

Hey noobster,

check out

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2366.0.html

This is a backup script written byone of the forum members to do exactly what you want, until Comodo build it into the product.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

That was my testimonial that I posted (before becoming a moderator) back in July of this year. It is every bit as true today as it was then.

So do I have any new insight today?

Other than being a fully function fee firewall with more advanced features than most firewalls I have ever used; the most appealing thing to me is the community and responsiveness that can be found at Comodo; it really is community feedback built software.

But if you need a list of the features I love:

• Excellent security functionality at default settings.
  • A complex/comprehensive firewall firewall presented in an easy to navigate GUI complete with wizards.
  • 2 levels of definition… Network shaping through the network rules, and Application access rules.
  • Applications can have multiple rules defined, which allows for some pretty powerful/advanced application control.
  • It is not bloat-ware. Things that aren’t firewall related get their own applications. Helps keep the system responsive and “uncrippled”.

And a list of things I’d like changed/fixed:

• “OLE Issue”; although I can eyeball the popup knowing what it is and navigate around it safely. I’ve also heard CPF 3.X will introduce “new application rules interface/logic”, so I’d like to think that might address this issue as well.
  • easier way to save/extract and import the CPF configuration (only because I am lazy and want to propagate my rules to the other 3 PC’s in my house)
  • A way to define rules to a “group”, then add applications to that “group”. This would help reduce the amount of repetitive manual rules I make on occasion.

Comodo is a top-notch company building top-shelf products. And you can quote me on that.

Daniel

(L)

Hello Marta,

Having had only 24hrs or so actual usage experience with CFW v.2.3.6.81 so far, i’m not qualified to pronounce judgement for the long term or on more intricate tech details, however i CAN say that i have faith in the product because (in no particular order):

a) Support & responses here are second to none;
b) I wanted a firewall compatible with Avast! AV;
c) I’m a hopeless non-geek regarding firewall configuration & this one passed the stealth & leak tests i’ve put it to in its default configuration, thereby rendering my system as safe, if not safer than other products i’ve used over a number of years;
d) I find the interface clean & well-ordered;
e) It’s not a resource hog on my XP (no service packs) system - less than 15mb;
f) Contrary to other user-reviews on previous versions, there were no issues over UN-installation.

When i first installed it (creating a system-restore point beforehand) & tried to customise IP network rules, i stuffed up & blew my connection altogether because i don’t know enough about what i’m doing, so uninstalled the application, ran CrapCleaner, rebooted & RE-installed CFW with default settings - the ONLY thing i modified was to UN-check the option to not show alerts for CFW-certified apps - i like to have some control over who/what comes/goes in my house!

At this point, everything seems to be cruising like clockwork & there’s none of the lagging & slowing down that i recently started to experience with Zone Alarm Pro.

With ZA Pro you can configure cookies etc. but i don’t miss that as I’ve already got that under control with Firefox, so i have a firewall that’s an independent, unbloated app doing its job with minimal fuss’n’bother, so the bottom line is that I’M A HAPPY LITTLE VEGEMITE!

My comments may not suit your requirements but if some of the neg-review users read them, it might encourage them to try the current version, so they may find their former issues resolved.

Cheers,
braindrained (R)

its free and great also when you suggest something on forum staff actully respond to you not many other products have that kind of support not even paid products