Google to cut off other Chromium-based browsers from its Sync service March 15

Google said today that it caught other Chromium-based browsers piggybacking on its infrastructure and abusing the Chrome Sync service to store their users' data, bookmarks, and browsing history on Google's servers, without approval.

ZDNET RECOMMENDS
Best password managers for business in 2020: 1Password, Keeper, LastPass, and more
Best password managers for business in 2020: 1Password, Keeper, LastPass, and more

Everyone needs a password manager. It’s the only way to maintain unique, hard-to-guess credentials for every secure site you and your team access daily.

Read More

The discovery was made during “a recent audit,” Google said today in a short statement.

To prevent future abuse, Google said it plans to limit some of the Chrome APIs (features) that it includes inside Chromium starting March 15, 2021, making them unavailable for any other browser developed on top of the Chromium open-source codebase.

This doesn’t only impact Chrome Sync but also other features such as the Chrome Spelling API, the Contacts API, the Chrome Translate Element, and many more.

Source

Interesting. Wondering how Manifest V3 ties in with this. I’ve been using Chromium-Edge for a a few months but looking like I’ll have to swap over to original chrome or FF/CID at this rate. We’ll see.

Dragon uses the Google synch so its synch should get discontinued per March 15. Given Comodo is giving the development not highest priority I fear Dragon will lose the synch option.

What is Manifest V3?

Announcement of Limiting Private API availability in Chromium.

See Manifest V3 now available on M88 Beta.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Dragon is our team’s highest priority , we will see what we can do about this issue

:-TU

It would be great if Dragon would get its own sych platform. It would take a while to develop I’m afraid but it is no less appreciated .

Is IceDragon chromium based??

Icedragon is Firefox based.

so…2+2=4,

Welp! It happened…I’m unable to sync my account with Dragon, so I guess there’s no fix for this?

I came here to report a bug about not being able to sync my browser with my Google account and then saw this…that’s a dirty trick by Google. Would be great if you guys found a way around that. Not being able to sync is a huge downer.

Any new regarding this 'issue`?

Hello?

Decided to sync bookmarks with other Chrome-based browsers, but no sync option in my setting at all

Version 90.0.4430.212 (64-bit)

https://c2n.me/4cNCcoz.png

google removed sync from non google products

it’s up to comodo providing another way of sync

is there an easy way of transferring all the comodo settings and saved passwords into a chrome browser?
chrome does not recognize comodo to import the info.

Thank you

Hi doctorman,

Thank you for reporting.
We will check with the related team and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT