Google Chrome not detected accessing Internet and but blocked access to its settings folder

I just installed for the first time on my [current] system latest version of Google Chrome [using an offline setup downloaded from [Google Chrome - The Fast & Secure Web Browser Built to be Yours]

But to my surprise COMODO have not asked me if I allow it to access Internet when I opened it, nor any other question when I was using it like when saving a webpage to a volume

And what is even weirder is that when I started deleting its settings from

C:\Users\Your-User-name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

in my file-manager FreeCommander, I was prompted towards the end by COMODO if I allow FreeCommander to change settings of Chrome- that is right: change settings of a specific browser and not just vaguely described allow accessing of some item by FC. And later when I was coping back those very settings to this location from a backup folder [as I was further performing tests] COMODO right away at the start warned me alike about TeraCopy trying to change settings of Chrome. And in both cases there was no option for remembering of my choice

So I went to

COMODO > Settings > HIPS > HIPS Rules

and filtered the list by looking for chrome and google but nothing was shown to me

Something like this has never happened despite me using COMODO for over 3 years now

To sum up / in other words Google Chrome:
â—Ź was automatically granted by COMODO access to apparently everything
â—Ź imposes limits on accessing its resources on system volume by third party programs
â—Ź has special kind of pop-up warnings
â—Ź is not listed in HIPS

Used versions:
â—Ź COMODO Internet Security Premium 12.2.2.8012
â—Ź FreeCommander XE 2023 Build 900 64-bit Portable
â—Ź Google Chrome 121.0.6167.140 x64
â—Ź TeraCopy 3.12.0
â—Ź Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64 [10.0.19042]

Can you confirm what configuration your using and what mode HIPS is in?

Have you whitelisted FreeCommander and TeraCopy in the File Ratings and HIPS Settings?

Which OS version are you using?

What about my configuration?

HIPS is in Safe Mode, I never whitelisted anything, this is the first time such thing is happening and those messages have somewhat different form than those blocking every other new attempted access

Versions of programs I already reported with details

If anything was blocked it would show up in the logs.

Remember to change the Filter so you can view beyond the current day as below:

This is how the deletion of Chrome settings is interrupted:

And this how it looks when I restore it from a copy:

[I had to split this into a second post as the forum would not allow me to post two embedded images in one]

Entries about those events are shown under

Logs > Alerts

My question is: why is this happening only for Chrome? And why not is there an option to remember my choice?

That’s a good question and one I don’t have an answer to myself.
If it’s quite the nuisance, you can turn off that feature under the miscellaneous protection options.

Chrome is a Trusted Application and will be allowed to access the web by default. If you would like more control you can make dedicated Application Rule for Chrome or any other program.

When it is not saved to Protected Folders CIS will not alert.

That is a protection setting that can be disabled: * Enable alerts if a software tries to change your browser settings .

A broader question is what you are worried about and trying to achieve.

1 Like

That is not how things should be

Someone for whatever reason might want to install and run some program without that program being able to access either the Internet and / or some files on a local drive

How is a user suppose to know that Trusted Applications are by default exempted by COMODO from being a subject of scrutiny?

How? I do not wish a program from a big multinational corporation to have any special rights

Overall I want every single program to be treated by COMODO the same way: make me the user be informed what it is trying to do and give me an ability to remember my choice; i.e. remove automatic exemptions by default and turning a blind eye for tasks performed by products made by big enough companies that can afford their products to have a stamp from the Microsoft corporation

Why should anyone trust blindly laying monopolistic business entities if their only goal is to make as much money as possible?

This is how things are in the default configuration. Remove all Firewall app rules, switch to custom ruleset and enjoy alert hell :grin:

p.s. do not forget to set alert frequency to Very High

For the firewall you can make a rule that will ask to ask for all traffic for f.e. Chrome. In Advanced Settings go to Firewall Settings → Application Rules and choose Add.

With the Application Rule screen open chose the program. Then chose “Use a Custom Ruleset” (left part of the image) and choose Add. Then a second box pops up with title Firewall Rule (right part of the image) and fill in:
Action: Ask
Protocol: IP
Direction: In or Out

Source Address: Any Address
Destination Address: Any Address
IP Protocol: Any

Now OK twice and you’re back in the list of Application Rules. Now make sure the new rule is somewhere above the All Application rule at the bottom of the list.

And do I did. I have switched to

Advanced Settings > Firewall > Firewall Settings > Enable Firewall (Recommended) > Custom Ruleset

Advanced Settings > Firewall > Firewall Settings > Set alert frequency level > Very high

but nothing happened - i.e. I did not get a single pop-up

So I am suppose to do this for every Trusted Application - because there is no way to just tell COMODO to treat them all like every other program?

Close Google Chrome and move the created Firewall ASK rule to the very top of the Firewall rules list and than start Google Chrome again and see if the Firewall will alert you.

The rules at the top of the Firewall rules list have highest priority (those are consulted first) at the bottom of the list they have lowest priority (those are consulted last).

I used to create rules for my browsers as in Win11 it would block HTTPS TCP rules for port 443, 53, 5353, 1900 and some others. At the end of the day if an unknown launched my browser or any other process for that matter, the unknown as well as the browser or other child process would be contained and blocked by the firewall

The easiest solution I found is to turn on “Create rules for safe applications” when I initially install Comodo and then after I’ve opened my usual applications etc then swap it over to Custom Mode if I want to be alerted for everything but I usually just use Safe Mode and set and forget it.

@Comoddore
Are you using a VPN?

Could you post screenshots of Firewall Settings and Application Rules? What profile are you using. The default Internet Security or Proactive Security?

I am not using VPN [and I have not yest implemented your instructions Google Chrome not detected accessing Internet and but blocked access to its settings folder - #12 by Citizen_K as I am hoping for a global solution / gathering info]

And here is the requested screenshot for Firewall Settings:

And here is the requested screenshot for Application Rules:

You are already using Custom Ruleset which will alert you when any program is requesting access to the internet or local network.

When you get an alert you have the choice to answer and not remember or to answer and choose to remember. Another option is to apply a predefined ruleset.

It is also possible to define a ruleset of your own making under Rulesets.

Your choice depends on how granular you want to control. Do you always want to be alerted? Are you satisfied with a custom ruleset as a means to set and forget unless something happens outside the scope of the ruleset?

Do you want the same granular control for all programs like you are seeking with Chrome? Notice with Custom Ruleset you have granular control but for Chrome I see you gave a blanket rule. You could change it to Ask All Outgoing IP.

1 Like

Are we not side stepping here?

What I initially reported was that when deleting Chrome settings from

C:\Users\Your-User-name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data

I get a pop-up that I do not get for any other program; and that this popup has no option to remember my answer

What is the point of Chrome having such special treatment and why does it have to be complicate