Google Chrome High Memory Usage With Comodo

I just installed Comodo Firewall, and my Google Chrome Stable’s memory usage jumped from 80k to over 200k?? This has never ever happened before until I installed Comodo???

Herro D Bone,

Are there any Logs in Defense+? (CIS > Defense+ > Defense+ Events)

Kind Regards

No, there are no defense + events, or firewall events. My machine is new, and I set both the firewall and defense + to training mode for a day, with multiple reboots and almost every program opened/used. I then set them both to safe mode. Now my chrome memory is 187k as I type this.

Well, I uninstalled Comodo and the problem is fixed.

Wow, this issue still exists. I have a clean install system image to start from, and I have tested MSE, avast!, Panda Cloud and CAV with Chrome as the only other installed software.

With MSE, avast! and PCA the about:memory tab in Chrome showed around 90-120MG’s of RAM. With either CFW, CAV or CIS, Chrome’s memory usage jumps to over 220MG’s of RAM.

I guess this isn’t a big enough issue for anyone to care about?

Out of wonder, what web-pages do you have loaded at the time, and what extensions are u running in dragon? Also are you reading the 220 MB’s as a total of all dragon process or just 1 using 220 MB’s?

As OmeletGuy suggested, please supply some more detail. Two images below, one with CIS (default install, AV, D+, FW, no changes) the other without CIS. There’s really not a lot of difference.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I was on my home iGoogle page each time I checked RAM. The only extension in Chrome or Dragon is AdBlock. In Dragon I did have the Flash plug-in installed, of course in Chrome it’s built in. I have monitored the RAM every time I installed CIS, CAV or CFW, always with the same result…About 100MG’s more of RAM.

Do you have the same result in Dragon and Google Chrome? I don’t use iGoogle so someone else can test that page.

Edit: Added Adblock used Yahoo.com. Still very little difference.

Yes, both Chrome and Dragon are affected. It is something in D+ because the high usage continued without the firewall and AV.

Do you happen to have D+ rules for Chrome and Dragon setup?

Also can you run the diagnostics in CIS (More > Diagnostics).

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by D+ rules for Chrome and Dragon? CIS was the first thing installed on my clean W7 install, followed by either (tested at different times, but never installed at the same time) Chrome or Dragon. I just let Comodo set its own rules for trusted programs and I added nothing.

If I should, what should I add?

Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce this effect, with either Chrome or Dragon. In the tests I have done there is no significant difference in memory utilisation with CIS installed.

@ D Bone - To clarify:

1. You’re using CIS 5.8.213334.2131?
  2. You don’t have the AV component installed?
  3. You disabled the firewall?
  4. You made no changes to D+ settings
  5. The Sandbox is Enabled or Disabled?
  6. You see the increase in memory with both Chrome and Dragon? (versions?)
  7. You have only Adblock installed?
  8. Other applications running when testing?
  9. Windows version?

Is there any additional information you can supply?

Based on your answers, I ran a few tests using the latest versions of both Google Chrome and Dragon. I tested memory with CAV installed and without. The only change made to CAV was to change Partially Limited to Untrusted. For interest, I also looked at the memory with and without Adblock and also on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7.

Operating System - Windows 7 x86/x64 (I had to use Ultimate)
CAV version - 5.8.16726
Dragon - 15.0.874.102 (File version 15.0.3.0)
Google Chrome - 17.0.942
Adblock - Whatever version is downloaded.

These are fresh images of Windows with no other software running.

Summary:

http://i42.tinypic.com/ifqu89.jpg

There are certainly differences in memory utilisation, however, the differences can be mostly attributed to Adblock rather than CAV. The only anomaly was the test using CAV plus Dragon on Windows 64. For some reason the results are out of sync with those around it. I ran the tests several times with similar results.

A point of note.

Testing memory utilisation in this way is far from an exact science, as the figures will change considerably if the browser is left for a minute or two after launch. The figures also change every time the memory page is refreshed. To try and introduce some consistency to the tests I used the following method:

1. Install the application and reboot
  2. launch the application and set the default home page to about:blank
  3. Re-launch the application and open the about:memory page
  4. Leave the page open for 1 minute
  5. Refresh the page
  6. Take a screen-shot

Screen-shots attached.

Thank you for taking the time to do this! Could it be that the way I was looking at the RAM via about:memory in Chrome and Dragon, is the reason I’m getting the widely high memory increase?

Almost certainly. When you open about:memory leave it for a minute then refresh the page. You’ll also find that if you keep refreshing the memory will increase.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.