General Comments

Dear all,

I don’t mind being a beta-tester in order to get a good product from a company ;D I just hope you remember the beta-testers when the ‘de-luxe’ edition ships. OK…

I don’t like my applications to open the IE browser and that’s what Comodo’s software is doing :frowning: My preference is Firefox and it would be nice to be given the option of what browser would I like to use… [I absolutely dislike Internet Explorer…]

Comodo’s anti-virus is not recognized by my Windows Security Alerts ???

A full scan of my hard drive took about 30 minutes while other products do this in less time.

I love the integrated firewall+antivirus… Would you consider adding to that nice integrated platform some sort of spam killer application?

Please allow your software to coexist with other similar tools like AVG Free edition. I uninstalled my antivirus to install yours… Please allow me at least to evaluate your product before… ;D

Since I find the antivirus a little buggy I will keep my other AVG antivirus. If Comodo doesn’t let me then I will have to uninstall some things… Sowy! :frowning:

“I don’t like my applications to open the IE browser and that’s what Comodo’s software is doing :frowning: My preference is Firefox and it would be nice to be given the option of what browser would I like to use… [I absolutely dislike Internet Explorer…]”

So do I. But many applications use it as a component to display HTML within the program, because it is built in to Windows, and any link within that HTML automatically opens in Internet Explorer.

“Comodo’s anti-virus is not recognized by my Windows Security Alerts ???”

I think that is up to Microsoft to recognize it. And they may not choose to do so if they think that it is not up to the required standard, because it is a beta.

“A full scan of my hard drive took about 30 minutes while other products do this in less time.”

Perhaps it is being more thorough.

“Please allow your software to coexist with other similar tools like AVG Free edition. I uninstalled my antivirus to install yours… Please allow me at least to evaluate your product before… ;D”

It isn’t practical to allow two antiviruses to run at the same time because of they way these things interact with Windows.

I just downloaded Comodo’s antispam software and I just found that it doesn’t have Thunderbird as one of the applications to read email! It has Outlook, Eudora but no Thunderbird! :frowning:

I am sorry… I will only keep the firewall but the Anti-virus and Anti-spam are gone… :frowning:

“So do I. But many applications use it as a component to display HTML within the program, because it is built in to Windows, and any link within that HTML automatically opens in Internet Explorer.”

Now, that is BS ;D Any time I have to display HTML it opens Firefox… Only your program opens IE on my box…

In regards to “Comodo’s anti-virus is not recognized by my Windows Security Alerts” I have had experience with AVG, and ClamWin and Windoze recognizes them… Work on that, it is not good to have that little warning and it will help Comodo’s reputation.

Well I am just a programmer. I have only used the IE component in myn own software and observed what happens when you click on a link within the displayed HTML, so of course I bow to your superior knowledge. :smiley:

…just to add it-up…
Yahoo! Messenger (I believe) was built heavily based on IE.
But when I click any link on it, it’ll pop at my Firefox (my default browser).
I think, the Dev’s forget to check the registry for this “default browser” behaviour.
Anyhow… it’s just another cosmetics…but anoying!

Well, I am just a luser so no need to bow… :smiley: I guess the post by wisanggeni gives a very nice solution to the problem and perhaps it will be posible to use Dillo, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, IE, etc. as your favorite browser. I don’t like IE because it seems less safe and slower than Firefox. [Julian, seriously, download Firefoz and play with it and you will see what I mean… It is just fantastic! Do you know where IE got the idea of using tabs? You are right from Firefox!]

In my humble opinion (and remember, I am just a luser :D) Comodo’s antispam should not be specific towards certain emailing programs but instead identify the one that the luser :smiley: is using and take over. Nonetheless, Thunderbird seems to have built in tools to prevent mail spam that I can download and I will do so.

The problem of MS not recognizing Comodo’s AV: Perhaps you could borrow from ClamWin? It is open source and maybe Comodo could contribute back to them… It is just an idea: ClamWin is already there for free so why don’t you guys integrate that pece of Software into your platform without support and offer a beefier alternative with support? Seems cool to see you guys offer free products but it would be even cooler to see you guys contribute with open source projects while benefiting financially from it by offerying “Deluxe Comodo Antivirus”

I certainly don’t wish to degrade this into a browser war, but I’ll offer to disagree with daacosta’s opinion on Firefox vs. IE.

I don't like IE because it seems less safe and slower than Firefox. [Julian, seriously, download Firefoz and play with it and you will see what I mean... It is just fantastic! Do you know where IE got the idea of using tabs? You are right from Firefox!]

This has been a common claim amongst Firefox advocates for some time. The actual truth is that its no safer, and no faster, sorry. In fact, Firefox has a bug list that is miles long (I’ve submitted a few to Bugzilla myself).
Please understand that I’m not a MS fan either (not by a long shot), but I will call a spade a spade.

Now back on topic, it should be a simple matter to define what browser is being pulled by using the current default browser settings, or even per file association.

So while I may disagree with daacosta’s opinions on browsers (for they don’t seemed to be based upon actual fact), I am forced to agree with his opinion that a called browser should be configurable.

I hope this helps!

[off topic]

Don’t want to flame anyone out, but…
Firefox and Opera IS waayyyy faster than IE.
You’ll get to know that, if you live in a country with internet cost, like: US$.1.- for a MAX 32Kbps internet connection.
With an additional extention like NoScript, hell-yeah! their safer than IE…
…not, it’s not a joke! or blindly self pro-claimed by the dev’s.

[/end off topic]

I don’t want to enter a browsers war either. In genera, I hate character-assasination schemes and you don’t supply facts for claiming that IE is as good as Firefox.

The fact that a project like Firefox opens up its list of bugs is inherent to an open source project and not the result of it being inferior to IE. But in any case the fact that you have submitted bug reports on Firefox is very telling: you have used/use Firefox… Please don’t even try to get me into a pointless discussion: use google to see credible and representative reviews comparing Firefox and IE like Computing - CNET

In any case my suggestion holds: LET THE USER CHOOSE HIS/HER BROWSER WHEN COMODO OPENS A WEBPAGE.

I am glad we could at least agree on that one :smiley:

I recently started using Firefox again, I guess I was just “comfortable” with IE and never had any issues with ActiveX or security holes that so many complain about. I am now comfortable enough with Firefox to make it my default browser so it would definitely be nice.

I have not noticed any speed increases with Firefox over IE, actually some of my most visited pages have taken longer with Firefox, but that is not really a concern of mine either. As long as I get there in a reasonable time I could care less.

I downloaded and ran the IE 7 Beta version for a few days. Seemed nice, but still a little too buggy for me. I don’t like tabbed browsing either, maybe I am just old-fashioned.

(J)

[Topic Stealing]
Try FasterFox (an extension/plugin for Firefox). And set it to TURBO CHARGED!
If you ran on 512KBps+, you’ll kill Porsche DEAD! with that extension.
[/Topic Stealing/]

I like your logo Ryan :slight_smile: its cool… :slight_smile:

Thanks Melih, I did some wallpapers too. (B)

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1017.0.html

Unless configured otherwise by the user, COMODO should use the default system browser.

John

I just want to point out that the antivirus component of comodo ICS has a considerable slow speed. So I would perfer avira antivirus + comodo firewall.

What do you think is slow about it???

John