FYI: Comodo Time Machine Screen Shots :)

If CIS is anything to go by im guessing; bug/glitch free, light on resources, available in 64 bit falvor, free and reliable.

Melih take us back to a time when there was no malware. :smiley:
This will hopefully more or less do the same thing.

A question if I may (I know it’s in the wrong thread)
How effective would CTM be as the only security tool on your PC? Is it really that reliable? (after the initial bug fixes of course…)

I am trying to take us back to no malware days :slight_smile:

If CTM was the only defense then the only issues you would be suscpetible to would be if malware just trying to steal your session details (bank details, or any details you have in session etc). Just like Sandboxes this is the same issue that sandboxs and CTM have… because they don’t stop the malware coming in the first place, some malware is designed to steal pw etc and during that session if u get infected you might lose your confidential information. That’s why CIS exist to prevent it coming in the first place.

Melih

TBH, I would have used the standard CIS GUI. But the GUI is not what I’m interested in. What I am interested in is:

• I can set a Monthly Schedule! (BIOS RTC Resume boot - 1st Day of every Month.)

• I can use it with dual-boot Systems! (XP Pro’ & Vista.)

• I can get rid of my tacky System Restore Point creation scripts!

• I can forget about booting into Linux to create Drive Images!

• I can Install ■■■■, Reboot when asked to (something not possible in Returnil), then Revert back if I don’t like the ■■■■! (Not always possible with System Restore.)

• I can get rid of ERUNT for backing-up the Registry!

• I can use my real machine for Testing, instead of VMware!

Other than that, absolutly speachless… ;D

Note:
I will Beta Test this on a fresh XP Pro’ & Vista Home Prem’ dual-boot System. I will also try to use TrueCrypt to Encrypt both O/S’s. Though I doubt TrueCrypt will be compatible with CTM; I don’t think there will be enough room in the MBR. I’m not that concerned about Encrypting Data, though I am concerned about ERD Commander and Ophcrack; which is why on some machines, I Encrypt the System Partition with TrueCrypt.

“Yes we can.” -Obama.

I’m quite positive that Comodo BackUp 2.0 beta (CBU) is sufficient for this! However, some of the things you mention might be more convenient with CTM.

Awesome.Millions of users will have finally Total Protection literraly.No sugestion for reformat cos the av didn’t clean the virus,etc as in other AV forums,and to be honest ,i’m sure many had problems with other software conflicts,drivers etc so this will save them,spare them of countless hours dealing with reinstalling the OS,finding drivers …
But this application must always work-no bugs,if this application has bugs there will be big problems for the users.So please Mr Melih make sure it is reliable.
Many of us ,and especially the Beta Testers i’m sure are familiar with the concept of OS back-up and have similar programs like,Paragon,Acronis,IFW etc,but to introduce the concept for free to millions it’s just awesome.

And that includes New 3D FX Games which would run like ■■■■ in a VM! :-TU

Thanks LeoniAquila! I was about to say, “No, CBU cannot do all of those things!”. That was of coarse until I spotted the New Beta! ;D

!ot!
Will it ‘Image’ an OEM version of Vista 32 Home? I know some paid software won’t.

NP. 8)

CBU 2 beta will image anything, as it makes an image of the whole partition (including MBR), not just the OS. So it shouldn’t matter if you have OEM or not. :-TU

CBU and CTM will be extremely powerful together, but I have to say, they seem to partly do the same thing. Only partly though.

Do You Have Any Idea When This Will Reach Beta?

Nice

ooh god that gui is beautiful! it looks very very nice!

I am shocked too,i thought i would get a Returnil type product with reboot support.Now i am seeing a free rollback rx/ayrecovery/eazfix clone.Whether it modifies the mbr or not is a million dollar question.I hope to get the answer soon. 88)If it does then it is bound to suffer all the problems concerned with this type of app.

What kind of problems? Is there an article about them or it is just some anecdotal reference from few users of some 3rd party products?

problems that be encountered if it modifies the mbr.
1)Its incompatiblity to imaging
2)Slow startup , bcos it need to load pre-os on every boot.
3)Its inablity to turn off when not used unlike light virtualisation softwares like shadow defender,shadow user ,returnil, or the old comodo disk shield.

So there is no article about this.

What specific 3rd party products/scenarios are you referring to?

Are imaging products incompatible with products that modify the mbr? How so?
What do yo mean by slow startup (eg. would 1-2 seconds more be enough to consider a startup slow?)
Don’t product like shadow defender,shadow user or returnil introduce startup delays too?
What products cannot be turned off? Or what does it mean to be turned off? Why mbr should imply that?

Hello , i am just predicting the normal problems associated with “rollback type viz.rollback rx, ayrecovery, eazfiz” softwares associated with mbr change.Such softwares certain need sector by sector imaging or, imaged from outside the windows,otherwise any problems with time machine or disk failure , could cause total loss of data,since disk imaging softwares(viz acronisTI,Shadow protect,Image for windows, drive snapshot) wont “easily and normally” work these softwares unless u temporarily disable mbr modification as softwares such as fd-isr.

Does it have a pre-os or something on every boot.If it does not modify the mbr can u brief explain how it restores when windows does not boot?

Shadow defender or lite virtualisation apps dont require pre-os ,hence "generally "slightly faster.
About turning it off , i am inferring to lite virtualisation apps and rollback type apps.The rollback type apps “normally” cannot undo the mbr modification, without complete uninstall,so even if u are not testing ,u have to still run the pre-os .Again i dont have any idea of how the time machine works.

I thought it worked like this…

i am getting confused. ;D

Come on!Give us the beta to avoid more confusions :smiley:

I somewhat find this sintax difficult to follow. Does it mean that the mbr modification could not be saved as any raw data and later restored as such? ???

As for the Pre-OS and eventual mbr modification I gather this ought to provide a recovery GUI in case the windows does not boot.

I guess this would be useful to address scenarios where other disk virtualization were turned off while something bad happened.

IMHO it ought to be a good point and not a problem anyway it is likely that the mbr/preOS is not strictly needed although would provide more ease of use whereas a recovery preOS could be also loaded using a maintenace CD or an usb key.

Besides even in case of a mbr/PreOS, if the recovery isn’t needed, the loading of the preos and related recovery GUI, ought to be simply skipped without any noticeable delays. Thus, the preOS ought to be turned on only if needed.

AFAIK the mbr modification could be removed at any moment (eg using recovery console) and it is likely 3rd parties don’t remove it until uninstallation to provide an easy way to restore an image without using a CD to load the preOS.

We both don’t know what Time machine will actually be and what features will provide although you already hinted at potential problems.

BTW I would find counterintuitive to think that the Disk Shield application was developed up to beta stage only to be superseded by a completely differenent approach… whereas it could even be something that is able to carry both tasks of disk virtualization and disk imaging.

Anyhow I guess looking at the drawbacks raised by 3rd party solutions would provide valuable feedback.