Full HTML5 player support

I’m kind of annoyed about the fact, that I have to use other browsers, to be able to watch videos that are using the HTML5 player, instead of the usual Flash one. I’m using YouTube Center plugin to force the Flash Player in all the YouTube vids, because I either can’t play HTML5 videos at all, or I can only watch them in 360p quality.

This is the screen I’ve been seeing since the start of the HTML5 support on YouTube while using Dragon:

And this is what I usually see when trying to use the HTML5 player with Dragon:

While this is what I sometimes can see with Dragon:

It is very problematic for someone who uploads videos to YouTube and would like to have the ability to check how his/her vids look in different resolutions and frame rates. And lack of support for the H.264 which is pretty much the most popular video format right now is very disappointing.
I understand that privacy is the top thing here, but what good is privacy when we can’t even see the content on the websites?

You can play VP9 (more efficient than AVC) at all resolutions where available (and Vorbis or Opus audio). Every day more videos become available in VP9, but it takes time for YouTube to complete the transition from VP8 (now available only at 640×360). It also takes some time after a video has been uploaded until it is available in VP9.

AVC/H.264 and AAC are proprietary codecs. (AAC isn’t really needed on YouTube, as AVC can be combined with Vorbis or Opus, but most other sites don’t yet serve audio and video as separate streams.) To include decoders for those, Comodo would have to pay licensing-fees to MPEG LA. There is another solution, though, namely to use the system’s decoders, if available (Windows 7+ supports AVC and AAC). Opera (Chromium) does that. I don’t know if Comodo is considering doing that.

And this is the interesting part, which IMO should be a top priority. A lot of people use the H.264 codec to render their vids and upload, and it’s really bothersome that you need to wait about a day (or more) before you’ll be able to watch the vid in 720p or higher resolution by using HTML5 player. Not to mention that forcing Flash Player can sometimes be bothersome.

It doesn’t matter what people upload to YouTube, as YouTube recodes everything. As the VP9-encoder (which is still relatively new) gets faster (and it does), the delay will be shorter.