FROM THE COMODO LABS: DHL Customers Being Targeted in New Phishing Email Scam

Just shared via the Comodo breaking news blog (https://blog.comodo.com), the Comodo Antispam Labs team has identified a new global phishing threat targeted specifically at the 2.5* million global businesses and consumers who use DHL shipping.

With the holiday season fast approaching, the shipping of packages and gifts will reach a fever pitch over the next two months. This is the time when cyber criminals are looking to strike, not only stealing critical financial information, but looking for ways to steal personal information.

The fake DHL phishing emails identified by the Comodo Antispam Labs team are sent from ‘DHL Worldwide’ containing the subject line “DHL Shipping Delivery Tracking Number.’ Trying to represent colors and logos of DHL, the “fake DHL” phishing email is designed to capture logins and passwords to DHL accounts and package tracking information. The phishing email asks recipients to verify the tracking process for their impending packages, deliveries and shipments.

The Comodo Antispam Labs team identified the DHL phishing email through IP, domain, URL analysis, and image analysis.

“Through specific IP and URL analysis – as well as the Comodo Antispam Labs’ continuous monitoring and scanning of data from the users of Comodo’s Internet security systems, our team was able to identify this specific phishing email scam and alert the public to it,” said Fatih Orhan, Director of Technology for Comodo and the Comodo Antispam Labs.

If you feel your company’s IT environment is under attack from phishing, malware, spyware or cyberattacks, contact the security consultants at the Comodo Antispam Labs: Contact us for Comodo ESM Sales and Support

The Comodo Antispam Labs team is made up of more than 35 IT security professionals, ethical hackers, computer scientists and engineers, all full time Comodo employees, analyzing and filtering spam, phishing and malware from across the globe. With offices in the US, Turkey, Ukraine, the Philippines and India, the CASL team analyzes more than 1,000,000 potential pieces of phishing, spam or other malicious/unwanted emails per day, using the insights and findings to secure and protect its current customer base and the at-large public, enterprise and Internet community.

For the System IT Administrators who think their IT may be susceptible to the fake DHL phishing email, the address, malicious URL, domain and IP address has been included in the Comodo blog post.

You can read the full blog post and view screen shots of the phishing emails here: DHL Customers Being Targeted in New Phishing Email Scam

*data pulled from DHL web site; the facts and figures section
http://www.dhl.com/en/about_us/company_portrait/our_organization.html

I’ve used DHL once, very recently, and received this phishing email. I just ignored and deleted it.

You learn something new everyday. I thought I knew their headquarters was an American company based out of Florida. Being curious I see the corporate headquarters is in Bonn, Germany.