Firewall Setting Assistance [Resolved]

I am new to this forum and would like to ask some of you experts your opinion on my security settings.

I have a Pentium 2.8 GHz with 2 GB RAM. I am running Windows XP, SP2 with the following security software:

BOClean
Avira Antivirus PE Classic
Comodo Firewall Pro V3
Windows Defender
AdAware 2007 (on-demand scanner)

I am specifically interested in how my firewall settings are setup.

I have attached snap shots of my application rules and global rules.

If there is something I missed please let me know.

Thanks!

Raz

[attachment deleted by admin]

Greetings!

Instead of granting a application full access to the Internet, you can use this:

Create a new port set and add these ports:

80 (HTTP)
443 (HTTPS)

I’ve named it Browser Ports, but you might use something else. You can also add FTP access (port 21 I think).

Now here’s the application rules:

[b]Allow TCP OR UDP Out From [Your MAC or static IP if you use router] To IP Any Where Source Port Is Any And Destination Port Is In [Browser Ports]

Allow TCP OR UDP Out From [Your MAC or static IP if you use router] To IP [Your DNS server] Where Source Port Is Any And Destination Port Is 53

Block And Log IP In/Out From IP Any To IP Any Where Protocol Is Any[/b]

This works fine for most programs (except for IM’s, P2P clients and some others). Also, I don’t know why you’ve allowed explorer.exe to access the Internet?
Check this post for how to configure uTorrent with CFP3.

The global rules looks good.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Ragwing,

Thank you very much for your insight. I am not that computer savvy and have only been using Comodo for approximately 2 weeks. The program is a lot more interactive than the one (Zone Alarm) I am used to. Just a few questions. Do I create the new port set in the global rules section? Lastly, do I delete all the other application rules once I created the ones you suggested?

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Raz

Firewall->Common Tasks->My Port Sets, then Add->A New Port Set… and name it Browser Ports or something. Then right-click it and select Add… Now add the ports I mentioned above.

You should delete all rules for an application before you create the new ones. Keep the current ones for:
COMODO Firewall Pro
Windows Updater Applications
System
Outlook
Alg
msimn
svchost
uTorrent

They use other ports than 21, 53, 80 and 443.

You might want to remove Internet Access for:
explorer.exe (it doesn’t need Internet Access)
wmplayer.exe (if you don’t need it to have Internet Access, block it. Might also use VLC Player instead)
winword.exe (why do a text program need Internet Access?)
setup_wm.exe (piece of sh*t, block it)
winzip32.exe (I don’t get it why it would need Internet Access, btw, you should get 7-zip instead)

Cheers,
Ragwing

Ragwing,

I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me on this.

Raz

No problem. Do you have some more questions, or is it okay if I close this thread?

Cheers,
Ragwing

No more questions. Thanks.

Okay, then I’ll go ahead and mark this thread as resolved. If you need it opened again, PM me or another online Moderator with a link to this topic.

Cheers,
Ragwing