Firewall prompting about MSEdgeWebView on every single use

Product: Firewall v12.2.2.8012

I have a couple of different apps that use MSEdgeWebView to show their content. Every time I open these apps, the firewall asks me about edgewebview, likely because it’s been updated, and each time, I mark it as an allowed application, telling it to remember the decision.

the one I remember all the time is a desktop app called Manager (Accounting software), from the website manager.io

Is there a way to tell the firewall that updates of msedgwebview are always allowed, instead of being prompted pretty much every time I use the apps that run it? This is the only one I have problems with.

Need more info? Let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is it a HIPS alert or a Firewall alert that pops up every time when you start an app?

Firewall. I have everything else disabled, except virus scope, which only gets used if I manually open something in a container.

Add an Allow Firewall rule for the whole directory in which MSEdgeWebView resides like this
C:\Program Files X86\Microsoft\EdgeWebView* (if this is the correct directory from which MSEdgeWebView is started) that way when MSEdgeWebView updates to a new version in that same directory Firewall will no longer block it.

Not sure how to do that for an entire directory of my choosing. Rule settings are not very intuitive. I can only figure out how to add rules for specific files, and Comodo’s predefined file groups.

It is not documented, it requires a little trick to do that.

Do the following:

1. Create a Firewall Application rule for a specific file (use Browse → File). Pick just any random executable in the Open dialog (file browser) and click on the Open button. Do not yet click on the OK button of the Firewall Application Rule window (leave it open).

2. Now edit (use cut and paste) the Name field in the Firewall Application Rule window into C:\Program Files X86\Microsoft\EdgeWebView* (or any other directory where MsEdgeWebView is located or where the updates get installed into).

3. Finish the Firewall Application rule as usual (set Ruleset, Allow, etc. etc.)

4. When done click the OK button to close Firewall Application Rule window.

I made the rule as instructed. I think the feature to add directories should be included in that browse button. If it prompts me again, I’ll add to this thread.

Thanks for the help.

You’re welcome.

I’ve submitted a Feature Wish Request for that on August 25, 2021 but unfortunately I never got any status feedback from Comodo. Other users who also submitted Feature Wish Requests didn’t hear anything either. It has been 2 years now since we saw a new CIS release and it looks like if we will never see a new CIS premium/pro release again, sad but true.

If you’re interested to read my Feature Wish Request here it is: Firewall Add Application Rule - Add Folder option to Browse Pulldown Menu

you got my vote! i think it should’ve been added to that button the moment the feature was added.

Now that I know how to do this, it will come in handy for a few apps that get updated often. Thanks again!

Thank you too for you vote and feedback on the Feature Wish Request, appreciated.

Yes indeed it is a very handy feature, not only to allow trusted apps in certain directories but also to block apps (either trusted or untrusted) in other direcIories. :slight_smile:

i might use it to add allow rules for my games directory, among a few other that are updated often.

As a tip:

You can also add entire directories in the same manner like C:\MyApps* to one or more Filegroups and than add those Filegroups to your Firewall rules list. That works a bit more organized if you have quite some directories for which you want to set the same Firewall rule.