Firewall installs but cannot update

Iìve tried hard to install the firewall in my Windows11 machine but it says it cannot update coz the’server could not be contacted’. In order to make the (offline-74mb) install easier I disabled all could be disabled, namely MS Defender antivirus and Defender UI, disabled both Private and Public windows Firewall connections and at the same time I got assured .cis and all running progs were given the ok by it. I had beforehand completely uninstalled VodooShield and Malwarebytes Windpws Firewall Control.
HIPS are disabled in preparation to adopting cruelsister cfg.

I also reviewed all firewall and containment Comodo rules to check if some might interfere,but to no use…
everything else installed well,but the section about program and recognizers update wont work:
check for websites database > error
check for recognizer updates > error
check for program updates > error.

could it be because I chose english instead of italian at install? I doubt there relevance regarding server,but who knows…

I’ve exausted all solutions I could think about,but I am determined to use CF.
Can anybody help please?

1 Like

Hi Rapids,

Thank you for reporting.
May i know your COMODO firewall version ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

I think it was 12.2.2.8009, I say ‘I think’ because in the meantime I dl and installed the complete edition of CIS from comodo sources, which also installed well,but stumbled again at update, same version.
I made a failed Repair which gave a report I sent to Comodo,too big to mention here and I dont see how to attach.
I’d go as far as reinstalling the OS just to check,but I fear to make it in vain as what i am suspecting now is some hidden W11 setting in Registry.
I dont think O&O slimming of W11 is responsible for this.Network is fine for everything else.

Hi Rapids,

Thank you for providing the requsted information.
The V12.2.2.8009 is old version. so kindly uninstall it and install the latest version from the below link & check.
https://forums.comodo.com/
Kindly let us know your feedback.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

Thank you.
I need a few days as I decided that, provided the link you gave me works for Windows11 as it should in my opinion, the only viable way out is using the very first image i made of this new OS with no progs installed. Practically a clean reinstall.
So I have to spend some time reinstalling all I need. A lot of work,but at least this way the system is ok for the next 2 years.

Hi Rapids,

Ok, Kindly check with the latest version of CFW provided in the above post and let us know your feedback.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

I decided to try for the last time to install CF without deploying an year ago image, so i uninstalled thoroughly and accurately everything of concern, this time I also disabled Real time Defender protection and also Tampering and Protected folders, made 3 reboots,in between cleaning with CCleaner and Privazer both files and Registry.
Then I proceeded to install the CF file you provided: same story, I couldnt even begin to install the file!

At this moment I did two things:
a-downloaded the entire CIS from the provided link (thinking it was an offline,but it is with the usual 5.4 mb installer instead) and
b-this time I chose the language of the place where I am now ,that is italian.

This time, inexplicably and luckily, CIS complete with Antivirus & Co. installed like a breeze and updated in all its components without any problem.

As everything is working very well with Cruelsister settings plus HIPS, I plan to go on like this.
Thanks for your help!

Hi Rapids,

Thank you for your feedback.
Kindly report back if you found any issues with the CIS in the future.

Then I proceeded to install the CF file you provided: same story, I couldnt even begin to install the file!
Does the CFW installer doesn't start at all ? or did you find any error while installing the CFW ?

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

The file tried to open but aborted immediately with the usual theme 'a connection could not be made ’ or ‘failed connection to the server’,perhaps after 1 or 2 seconds.
By the way, I reverted from Italian to English today without any problem,thus I can discard the notion the server has difficulties when place and language dont correspond.

Hi Rapids,

Thank you for providing the requested information.
We will check and update you.

Thanks
C.O.M.O.D.O RT

I believe the version that caused the issue was 12.2.2.8009. Although I’m not entirely certain because I recently downloaded and installed the complete edition of CIS directly from Comodo sources, which went smoothly. However, I encountered the same version problem during the update process.

I attempted a failed Repair, and as a result, I received a detailed report which I sent to Comodo. Unfortunately, the report is too large to mention here, and I’m unsure how to attach it.

At this point, I’m considering reinstalling the operating system just to investigate, but I’m hesitant because I don’t want to go through the process if it turns out to be futile. I suspect there might be a hidden Windows 11 setting in the Registry causing the issue, rather than O&O slimming of Windows 11, since my network connection seems fine for everything else.