Firewall doesn't detect unified remote app from Android

I have installed Unified remote app on my PC a while back, and I also have it on my Android phone.

I have CIS firewall on custom ruleset and I have set up desktop app properly. The problem is that CIS doesn’t detect Android app trying to establish network access so that I can allow it or block it.

Until recently I’ve been using Eset internet security and it always alerted me when my phone app (unified remote) tried to access my PC.

I’ve tried putting firewall in training mode but it made no difference.

What can I do to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance…

To test or check if unified remote bypasses FW add an FW application rule and set it to All Applications, Block IP In/Out, Address Any, Port Any and move the FW rule to the very bottom of the FW applications rules list. Then try to connect your phone app again and see if it connects or not (should not of course).
And don’t forget to remove the created FW block rule after testing.

So much missing information, what is the actual problem compared to what is happening? Are you able to connect without an alert or is the connection failing? What does the firewall event logs indicate? What existing rules are in place for the application and does it listen for connections on a given port or does it connect out to pair the connection? Did you check and modify the global rules to allow incoming connections or is it set to default to block all incoming?

I’ve just noticed that qBController app on my phone also can not access qBitorrent app on my PC.

Same problem. Again I tried training mode and still the app is blocked. Only when I disable firewall completely is connection allowed.

This is unbelievable design flaw. It should be out of the box warning about incoming connections as I had on Eset internet security.

Maybe I need to change alert frequency level in firewall settings.

Also firewall event logs show nothing about any blocked incoming connections. This is so weird.

If disabling FW completely works then try the following rule (with FW enabled of course) to see if it still connects:

• Backup your config first
  • Create a FW rule All Applications, Allow IP In/Out, Address Any, Port Any and move the FW rule to the very TOP of the FW applications rule list.
  • Also remove all FW Global rules.
  • Check if it connects.
  • Restore your config.

@CISfan

I’ve tested with the settings you suggested and it connects with no problems.

I’ve restored the old configuration. What should I do now to fix the problem?

Thanks for all the help…

I suspect that you have one or more blocking FW rules (be it either application rules or global rules) that blocks the connection.
To narrow things down try the next steps:

• Backup your config first
  • Create a FW rule All Applications, Allow IP In/Out, Address Any, Port Any and move the FW rule to the very TOP of the FW applications rule list.
  • Keep all FW Global rules.
  • Check if it connects.
  • Restore your config.

If the connecting now doesn’t work anymore then the connection is blocked by one or more rules on your FW Global rules list.

Don’t forget the task section, Firewall Tasks → Stealth Ports → Alert Incoming connections.

I’ve changed settings as you stated and it all works perfectly… ;D ;D

The only problem is that there were no alerts for incoming connections… It just started working.

Should I be worried that there where no alerts, is it a bug, should I report it or am I missing something?
Also I think this should be default setting when installing CIS.

Thank you all for the help…

You won’t get an incoming FW alert when the Trusted app on your PC initiates the connection to your phone.

Long ago incoming connection requests would generate an alert, but now they changed it so that only if the application is unrecognized will ask when it receives an incoming connection request. However trusted applications will not show an alert just like when a trusted applications makes an outgoing connection when the firewall is set to safe mode. To always get an alert for both incoming and outgoing connection requests regardless of application file rating, set firewall to custom ruleset mode.