Firewall + Avast antivirus = over 100 outgoing connections for avastSvc.exe

Hello,

last time I got some prime sort help so I came back with another issue :wink:

I’m using the latest Comodo Firewall and Avast Antivirus Home Edition on my Windows 7 x86. All pieces of software are up to date.

I’ve noticed lately (since C. Firewall updated to the newest version) some strange problems with my internet connection. It slows down dramatically at times and it seems to need a kick-in (several seconds) period of time before starting to load a website or download anything. When I open C. Firewall I see an info that there are ~100 outgoing connections with no incoming ones. All except a few are originated in AvastSvc.exe [1636] or some other number with this filename. Atm there are only 5 ongoing connections so I can’t tell more. These are both TCP and UDP connections.

It drew my attention because when I was browsing web or downloading anything with the previous version of firewall running, the same antivirus wasn’t creating so many connections. 4-5 but no more. Atm, trying to refresh www.onet.pl I’m getting 40-41 on avg and over 60 max. AvastSvc.exe active connections and just one for Opera. All the AvastSVC.exe connections generate minimum traffic.

Is there something wrong with all this? Or it’s not connected with my connection issues? I’m asking because it’s a bit strange behavior of my firewall+ativir couple. I’m asking here instead of Avast forum because antivir hasn’t changed since there were no problems and firewall has.

I’m running W7 64 and i have the same combo but i don’t have these problems.
Do you have any other security software running?

To what IP address(es) is AvastSvc.exe connecting to? Does Avast use a local proxy that relays all network traffic?

Do you see cmdagent.exe make connections? Do you have the cloud look up enabled (the default settings have cloud look up enabled)?

Hi,

i know this is grave-digging but google just sent me here because i have the same problem.
im running Win7 64 Bit, cmdagent.exe is making connections.

AvastSvc.exe connects to:
77.234.44.52:80
111.111.111.111:80
77.109.141.185:80 (x2)
77.109.141.170:80 (x3)
205.185.216.10:80 (x6)
8.27.8.254:80 (x7)

What also catched my eye, was that AvastSvc.exe always generated nearly exact the same networktraffic, wich the rest of the system was putting out and the number of connections where also kind of the half of the total connections(Screenshot from Mircosoft Recource Monitor attached)

i hope you can help me figure this out.

Edit: When i took the Screenshot and wrote down the Ips i wasnt loading anything else just some Clients / Messengers in the Background

[attachment deleted by admin]

Host r-052-044-234-077.ff.avast.com (a domain owned by Avast)

111.111.111.111:80
ISP Kddi Corporation (an ISP from Japan)
77.109.141.185:80 (x2)
ISP Init Seven AG from Switzerland
77.109.141.170:80 (x3)
Host mail5.perfectmoney.com and ISP Init Seven AG from Switzerland
205.185.216.10:80 (x6)
ISP Highwinds Network Group. This is a big content delivery company. A server may be hosted there.
8.27.8.254:80 (x7)
ISP Level 3 Communications. The Comodo cloud is or was hosted here.

I used Whois - IP Address - Domain Name Lookup website to see to what organisations IP addresses belong.

What also catched my eye, was that AvastSvc.exe always generated nearly exact the same networktraffic, wich the rest of the system was putting out and the number of connections where also kind of the half of the total connections(Screenshot from Mircosoft Recource Monitor attached)

i hope you can help me figure this out.

Edit: When i took the Screenshot and wrote down the Ips i wasnt loading anything else just some Clients / Messengers in the Background

The Avast webshield acts a local proxy and all traffic to and from the web will go through there. Therefor you will see it making connections.

In short I see nothing strange at first sight when you have several messenger programs running in the background. They will have connections to others in the world.

My Internet was just going realy slow so i searched for an reason for it on my system and found out what i already described with the many connections etc on AvastSvc.exe
But if u say its just because it works like an proxy, it will make sense :wink:

Thanks for your response!