3: What you did:

Go to

“Settings->File Rating->File List->Exchange->Export->

4: What you actually saw:

A CIS Export Error window shows up.

5: What you expected to happen or see:

No CIS Export Error window, this is inconsistent with

“Settings->General Settings->Configuration-> ->Export->

were no CIS Export Error window appears.

6: If possible attach a screenshot illustrating the GUI problem

See attachment.

Hello CISfan,

Thank you for reporting.We will check this and update you.
Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,
PD

Hello CISfan,

At the configuration tab it simply import/export the config alone whereas in the file rate the application files are exporting so it have to imply that whether the action is successfully exported or not.So It’s a normal behavior.
Further let me discuss with my team and let me create a wishes for that.
Have a nice day!

Thank you Dharshu for your feedback.

It would be indeed more consistent for the user when after pressing Cancel in the file dialog either the Error Window appears in all cases or in no cases.
Anyhow, if there is a wish to change it it would be nice.

Thank you and have a nice day too.

Actually the real bug is that it does export the file list even if you click cancel, it just doesn’t save with a .xml file extension. The reason it is failing for you CISfan, is that you either are doing this from a non-admin account or with an admin account with UAC enabled, and by default the file save dialog has the windows\system32 folder opened. If you browse to another folder and still click cancel, the TFL is still saved in the System32 folder.

Thank you for your feedback futuretech.

I’m using/testing CIS on a default Windows 7 installation without too many modifications to the default Windows settings. Also, I haven’t yet installed any other software on it yet (apart from the AV) so the OS is as clean as it can be.
Indeed I’m using the admin account that installed Windows 7 and this account has its default settings as created by the Windows installation. Also regarding UAC the admin account is using the default setting (slider on second position from the top).

I’ve checked the bug once more and indeed as you say the file save dialog opens in “C:\windows\system32”.
When I select Cancel in the file save dialog no file is being saved (I’ve searched for “tfl*.*” in all directories from the root down).
Also, changing the directory in the file save dialog to for instance “C:\Users<username>\Documents” and selecting Cancel again didn’t save any file.
(On each Cancel the Export Error Window still pops up).
Note: To reproduce the above behavior no save of the File List must have been done before.

HOWEVER, when I export the File List and change the directory in the save file dialog to “C:\Users<username>\Documents” and now select Save (which works ok) then after again exporting the File List and now selecting Cancel the file IS SAVED (as you indicated) without the “.xml” extension in the “C:\Users<username>\Documents” directory.
Also if the directory in the file save dialog before selecting Cancel is changed back to “C:\windows\system32” then after selecting Cancel the file is still being saved to “C:\Users<username>\Documents” without the “.xml” extension (it seems file saving kind of remembers the directory in which the last save was successful).

Indeed, the bug incorporates more that just showing the Export Error Window on each file save dialog Cancel operation , it also saves the file on a Cancel operation as explained above.

I've checked the bug once more and indeed as you say the file save dialog opens in "C:\windows\system32". When I select Cancel in the file save dialog no file is being saved (I've searched for "tfl*.*" in all directories from the root down). Also, changing the directory in the file save dialog to for instance "C:\Users\\Documents" and selecting Cancel again didn't save any file. (On each Cancel the Export Error Window still pops up).
Because you don't have permission to write to Windows folder which CIS is trying to do even when you click cancel. I'm not even sure it would save even if you clicked save, not unless you get a UAC prompt and then hit allow.

Dharshu, have team check with admin account and UAC disabled on Windows 7, after clicking cancel CIS will still report that “the export file has been created would you like to open the containing folder?”. Which if you click yes, explorer window will open the file location and the TFL without the xml file extension will be selected.

Edit: bug 2436

On opening “Advanced Settings” and File List exporting and selecting Cancel in file save dialog you will always get the Export Error Window with no file being saved.
If you leave “Advanced Settings” still open and export with saving a file (thus select Save in file save dialog) then after exporting again but now selecting Cancel in the file save dialog the file is being saved without “.xml” extension but now no Export Error Window shows up but instead (as futuretech mentions) the “the export file has been created would you like to open the containing folder?” window appears.
Above behavior is repeatable, so if you close “Advanced Settings” by selecting Cancel and open it again then it all starts over as described above.

Note: The file save dialog always pointed to “C:\Users<username>\Documents” when it opened during above test.

No the error does not happen if you have UAC disabled, that is why you are getting it and it happens because on the first cancel action, CIS will save into System32 directory, even if you are selected into a different folder location to save. When the file save dialog opens up and my desktop is already selected, once I click cancel the extension-less TFL is saved in System32 folder.

Maybe the error does not happen if I disable UAC that I didn’t check. However I’m using a standard windows installation with default UAC setting and I think I can expect it to work then.

No, it never ever saved a file in system32 (as told UAC is at default setting).
In the test that I performed in Reply #7 every file was saved in “C:\Users<username>\Documents” with and without “.xml” extension.

UAC does not allow certain changes to be made to the system, one of which is not allowing applications writing to the Windows folder, otherwise if UAC is off you would see TFL being saved to System32 regardless of the folder opened in the file save dialog. You won’t see anything written to the System32 folder and CIS producing an error because it does not have the access rights to do so hence no file saved and the error. CIS will always attempt to save to system32 the TFL list when you try for the first time and click cancel.

Ah, now that explains it what’s happening. :slight_smile:

Hope it will be fixed in the next release or update soon.

Hello futuretech & CISfan,

Reported to dev team for further analysis of the issue and they are working in it.Once resolved,let me inform you.

Kind Regards,
PD

Hello futuretech & CISfan,

As per CIS team the reported issue is fixed and it will be reflect in the upcoming release.
Have a nice day!

Should be fixed in 12.2.2.7062