extremely slow boot up times

I found that there are no Starting Services by the time the desktop loads, and I launch Services. The slowness occurs in in 2 spots after the boot…

• authentication (login), and
  • Loading the profile

… I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve really logged in at all… or have merely loaded with previously cached security.

Another authentication test I ran after boot (inspired by my issue here) was to create a “test.udl” file (Microsoft Data Link) on my desktop and try configure it to connect to our SQL server… I have no problems seeig the broadcasted SQL server(s) but if I choose Windows Authentication I’ll get another long wait.

I’ve even noticed inconsistant access to mapped network drives.

The more I type this post, the more convinced I am that it’s not a rouge service causing my greif, but an inability to authenticate properly on the domain with CPF set to “Custom”… If I set it to “Allow All”, things work flawlessly, even at login.

And just like posted in the link I attached above, the only log entries I get are:

• Date/Time :2006-09-19 08:53:57
    Severity :High
    Reporter :Network Monitor
    Description: Blocked by Protocol Analysis (Fragmented IP Packet)
    Direction: IP Outgoing
    Source: 192.168.1.58
    Destination: 192.168.1.200
    Protocol : UDP Reason: Fragmented IP packets are not allowed
  • Date/Time :2006-09-19 08:53:57
    Severity :High
    Reporter :Network Monitor
    Description: Blocked by Protocol Analysis (Fake or Malformed UDP Packet)
    Direction: UDP Outgoing Source: 192.168.1.58:1996
    Destination: 192.168.1.200:88
    Reason: UDP packet length and the size on the wire(1500 bytes) do not match

It’s too bad that CPF doesn’t log anything while windows is booting.

UPDATE:

So as mentioned in the other post i provided a link to in this post… I had only played with the Block fragmented IP datagrams option… today I decided to play with the Do Protocal Analysis option… disabling it has cleared my problembut why?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Perhaps BootVis might help?

Sounds like it certainly would. I gave it a fast try but must be using it wrong. After a reboot, I tried to open bootvis and it told me that it couldn’t find the BIN file… if you have used the tool yourself, could I ask you to highlight point-form the steps you take to set it up and view the results?

Many thanx in advance :wink:

Sorry, I can’t. I’ve not used BootVis in years & I’m currently using W2k, which BootVis doesn’t run on. You’ll neeed an XPer to assist you. Sorry.

Edit: Do a search for *.BIN perhaps?

Ah… it wasn;t that the file didnt exist, it was that the file had 0 bytes… so obviously I am doing something wrong if it’s was blank :smiley:

So you dumped Fisher Price Win2K for Win2K eh? And I understand why too. (:NRD)