Extensions

@yigido

Hello,

In your topic:
https://forums.comodo.com/general-discussion-off-topic-anything-and-everything/yigidos-recommended-apps-extensions-tips-t127778.0.html
you don’t mention uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. What do you think about these extensions ?

If uBlock Origin is installed I don’t think Privacy Badger is useful.

Both uBlock Origin and AdGuard Extension are open-source softwares.

Set your filter lists and both do their jobs well :-TU AdGuard is very good at handling missed ads, social buttons and cookie notices etc.
You can report any website with the mentioned issues via AdGuard extension menu. Report an issue | AdGuard

This is why usefull for me. I have uBO installed on both Firefox and LibreWolf. I have AdGuard ext. on Brave. (with same filter setup)

Privacy Badger misses a lot. The website of it says “it will learn with AI while your are surfing” Once you used to use a complete adblocker, you cannot use Privacy Badger. Why should I let some ads & trackers when I can block them all? uBO or AdGuard extensions what you need for content blocking.

Do not use too much filter lists. Easylist, EasyPrivacy, Fanboy’s Social, EasyList Annoyance and a regional list (if you need) These will block pretty much.

I will update my list,

even HTTPS Everywhere is useless while we have “Enable HTTPS-Only Mode in all windows” in Firefox’s settings…
See EFF’s blog post: HTTPS Is Actually Everywhere

Decentraleyes may be useless while we have Total Cookie Protection (TCP) in Firefox, which is enabled if you’ve set Enhanced Tracking Protection (ETP) to Strict.

So browsers improved privacy settings much :-TU

Privacy Badger has changed. The automatic learning is disabled by default, and it now uses AdGuard’s CNAME-cloaked trackers. 8)

Thank you for all this information.

Speaking of extensions…
https everywhere and ublock origin protect against Ataque do homem do meio | Surveillance Self-Defense
comodo internet security is antilogger…
:-TU

Does anyone know if AdGuard works well together with for example uBO, NoScript and Ghostery installed?
Is there any overlap or redundancy between these and AdGuard?

AdGuard what? Desktop version or extension?

If you meant AdGuard for Windows, it is a complete system wide ad-blocker. Why do you need Ghostery or uBO alongside? Ghostery is useless while you have AdGuard or uBO.

Do not use Ghostery if you asked me for any case. Evidon Sells Ghostery Data to Advertisers
Ghostery or NoScript, these are poor extensions. No need to use.

You can do NoScript jobs in uBO (Advanced Settings)

In uBO advanced mode, you can block all 3rd party iframes, scripts and even all images from loading. Just learn & search how to use it.

uBlock Origin Wiki

https://imgur.com/o783Om6.png

https://imgur.com/aeFpXr3.png

Ghostery was acquired by Cliqz GmbH in February 2017. In March 2018, the extension’s source-code was released on GitHub: Ghostery · GitHub There you can also find the browser Ghostery Dawn.

Since Ghostery is open source now I don’t expect it to sell user browsing data anymore, am I correct?

I meant AdGuard as an extension.

NoScript, Ghostery and uBO might have more or less same features but they do work well together and extra script protection layers doesn’t do harm to security level (one has to allow certain scripts in all of them before the scripts is allowed to load and run).

The uBO “Disable Javascript” checkbox is a master switch which had highest priority over any other uBO filter so enabling this checkbox will disable scripts on all sites and chances are that sites don’t load properly anymore or it might even totally brick sites. I hardly (never) use this switch.

I already knew about uBO wiki, it is great source of help.

That is also my expectation.

Indeed the uBO “Disable Javascript” parameter in the “Setting pane” very often causes a bad functioning of the web sites.

I did not activate it.
I activate it website by website to check that it does not disturb the functioning of the site. It is still a minority that works correctly with this setting.

That is because most trusted (and unfortunately also untrusted) web sites these days rely on being able to load and run their own scripts. Without those scripts the site will be bricked in most cases.

I just use uBlock Origin. My default rules are below. Note: the (noeval) has caused some websites to break so I’ve had to whitelist some using *#@#+js(noeval) rule.

! Block beacons, plugins and websockets everywhere
||*$ping,object,websocket

! Block potentially unsafe third-party content to unencrypted websites
|HTTP://*$third-party,~document,~stylesheet,~image,~media

! Block opening webpages on top level domains and countries I never visit
||*$document,~stylesheet,~image,~media,~script,~subdocument,~xmlhttprequest,domain=~com|~info|~io|~eu|~net|~org|~uk

! Inject javascript to blur Google FLOC interest tagging
*##+js(no-floc)

! Block switch to Chrome popop on google domains (search, maps, etc)
||ogs.google.*/widget/callout$all

! Block Google search URL paramater tracking
||google./search$removeparam=biw
||google.
/search$removeparam=bih
||google./search$removeparam=dpr
||google.
/search$removeparam=sa
||google./search$removeparam=source
||google.
/search$removeparam=aqs
||google./search$removeparam=sourceid
||google.
/search$removeparam=ei
||google./search$removeparam=gs_lcp
||google.
/search$removeparam=gclid

! youtube.com
||YouTube
||youtube.com/subscribe_widget$third-party
youtube.com###alert-banner > .ytd-browse > .yt-alert-with-actions-renderer
youtube.com###mealbar:3 > ytm-mealbar.mealbar-promo-renderer
youtube.com###notification-footer
youtube.com###secondary-links
youtube.com###yt-feedback
youtube.com###yt-hitchhiker-feedback
youtube.com###yt-lang-alert-container
youtube.com##.yt-consent
youtube.com##.ytd-banner-promo-renderer.style-scope.ytd-banner-promo-renderer-content
youtube.com##.ytd-banner-promo-renderer.style-scope.ytd-banner-promo-renderer-background
youtube.com##.ytd-primetime-promo-renderer
youtube.com##.ytd-statement-banner-renderer
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-playlist
youtube.com##.ytp-pause-overlay
youtube.com##.ytp-title-channel
youtube.com##+js(json-prune, *.playerResponse.adPlacements)
youtube.com##+js(json-prune, .playerResponse.playerAds)
youtube.com##+js(json-prune, 2.playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.adPlacements playerResponse.playerAds adPlacements playerAds)
youtube.com##+js(json-prune, 2.playerResponse.adPlacements)
youtube.com##+js(json-prune, playerResponse.adPlacements)
youtube.com##+js(json-prune, playerResponse.playerAds)
youtube.com##+js(set, ytInitialPlayerResponse.adPlacements, null)
youtube.com##div[class^=“ytd-consent”]
youtube.com##ytd-popup-container > .ytd-popup-container > #contentWrapper > .ytd-popup-container[position-type=“OPEN_POPUP_POSITION_BOTTOMLEFT”]
youtube.com#@##consent-bump
||gstatic.com/youtube/img/promos/
.jpeg$image,domain=youtube.com

! Block eval javascript command
*##+js(noeval)

! Allow using eval for example.com
comodo.*#@#+js(noeval)

no-csp-reports: * true
no-large-media: behind-the-scene false
no-popups: * true
no-scripting: * true
no-scripting: com false
no-scripting: eu false
no-scripting: info false
no-scripting: net false
no-scripting: org false
no-scripting: uk false

• 3p block
    • 3p-frame block
    • 3p-script block
  • com * noop
  • eu * noop
  • io * noop
  • net * noop
  • org * noop
  • twitch.tv * noop
  • uk * noop
    behind-the-scene * * noop
    behind-the-scene * 1p-script noop
    behind-the-scene * 3p noop
    behind-the-scene * 3p-frame noop
    behind-the-scene * 3p-script noop
    behind-the-scene * image noop
    behind-the-scene * inline-script noop

The no scripting and *com noop rules whitelist TODs that I visit regularly.

@Eric Cryptid, you covered the needs very well :-TU

For removing tracking parameters in URLs, you may use the following filters for all over the web.
Actually Legitimate URL Shortener Tool + Tracking Parameter Filter

Impressive uBO filters you have, thinking about to give those a try.

About the “! Block Google search URL paramater tracking” filters, do these filters actively prevent feedback to Google whenever you click on a Google search result?
I always noticed whenever you hover the mouse over a Google search result that the real URL of the search result appears in the status bar but as soon as you click on the search result the URL is first redirected to Google (so that Google can follow you) and then Google redirects to the real URL.
Do these filters prevent Google from following your search moves?

Thanks.

I’m not 100% sure, got some of these rules from a mate who is a bit more knowledgeable with UBO and Google tracking. I tend to use DDG most of the time for my searches anyway.

Ok I understand.
I use DDG too but sometimes Google just finds more results you’re looking for.
One can always Google using TOR. :slight_smile:

Indeed :slight_smile:

The uBO reference information on removeparam is below. I was a fan of ClearURLs for awhile but haven’t used it lately. Great at removing url tracking elements :slight_smile:

removeparam

New in 1.32.0.

To remove query parameters from the URL of network requests – see also AdGuard’s removeparam’s documentation. For historical reasons, queryprune is an alias of removeparam (avoid using queryprune, it is deprecated and support will be removed eventually).

removeparam is a modifier option (like csp) in that it does not cause a network request to be blocked but rather modified before being emitted.

removeparam must be assigned a value, which value will determine which exact parameter from a query string will be removed:

*$removeparam=utm_source

The above filter tells uBO to remove the query parameter utm_source when present in a URL.

The value assigned to removeparam can be a literal regular expression, in which case uBO will remove query parameters matching the regular expression:

*$removeparam=/^utm_/

The above filter will remove all query parameters which name starts with utm_, regardless of their value. When using a literal regular expression, it is tested against each query parameter name-value pair assembled into a single string as name=value.

Poorly crafted removeparam filters can have deleterious effects on performance, experienced filter authors are expected to understand well how to craft optimal filters.