Experience restarting or brutal crashes?

Hello,

approximately since I’ve installed COMODO 2 weeks ago, I was experiencing surprising restarts of my computer (without warning, the computer was off within fraction of a second). So I disallowed automatic restarting in Windows in the event of OS problems. Now I experience brutal blue screens or simply some apps crash.
I wouldn’t think that this might be caused by COMODO, if the same wouldn’t happen on another computer, where I installed COMODO week ago. It’s a different HW, but we get same problems.

Any such experience and a way to fix it? Please advice.

Regards,

Oak

Hi oakld

The fact that your seeing BSOD/Crash on two PCs suggests something suspicious. A few possibilities:

1. Were you using a different firewall before you installed CFP, if so which?
  2. Did you have any additional security software running at the time you installed CFP?
  3. Have you tried downloading CFP again, in case the first copy was corrupt.

Toggie

Oak,

You might check out this topic, where you can post the minidump from your “brutal crash” (ie, BSOD) to help the dev team overcome any issues (in case there is a FW conflict).

LM

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6747.0.html

Hello,

sorry for my late answer and sorry for “brutal crash” term. I don’t use windows except at work, so don’t know how to properly call it :-D.

Prior to COMODO, only Windows Firewall was present. I got a message, that it was turned off, while I was installing COMODO.

The computers have Norton AntiVirus installed; as far as I can see it doesn’t contain any firewall.

I’ll check the topic at which Little Mac was pointing me in his post.

Regards,

Oak

Oak,

No problem. And just FYI, with Windows, it is a “best practice” to turn off/disable any active security application (such as AV, AS, HIPS, registry protection, etc) when installing other security software. Many users have had issues with this FW when they have not done this prior to installing it.

Uninstalling the FW (with security software Off), cleaning the registry, rebooting again, turning security apps Off again, and reinstalling has often done the trick. This probably comes from CFP installing in the core of the OS, but I’m not a programmer, to say for certain. :slight_smile:

LM

OK, I’ve learned something new (:CLP). I’ll try to turn off the AV and reinstall COMODO FW.

Thanks a lot for advices!

Regards,

Oak

NO problem; hope that takes care of it. Be sure to keep us posted. If you’re still getting your brutal crashes (gosh, I just love that term!), then it’ll probably be up to the dev team, so posting in the BSOD thread will help (I saw you have done so).

LM

Hello,

I turned off Norton Antivirus, uninstalled CFW, rebooted, installed CFW, rebooted, turned on FW, turned on NA. Today, after about 6hrs of operation of computer, I got another BSOD.
BTW I sent previous memmory dumps to the thread I was pointed at.

So unfortunately, I’m still looking for solution.

Regards,

Oak

Oak,

Sorry that didn’t work; it would have been great if the reinstall resolved it. Tnx for posting the minidumps. It would also probably be good to file a ticket with Support, just to make use of the “official” channels as much as possible. http://support.comodo.com/

When doing so, be sure to provide in your ticket links to both this topic and your post in the BSOD topic (which is this one): https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6747.msg67559.html#msg67559 Heck, for that matter you can attach the minidump to your ticket as well.

Be sure to keep us posted on any developments.

LM