Exclude CTM folder when defragging?

Would it be a good idea to exclude the CTM folder when defragging? Would that help against the huge increase in free space usage mentioned here?

https://forums.comodo.com/faq-ctm/is-comodo-time-machine-compatible-with-defragmenter-software-t45634.0.html

That won’t help, CTM will keep seeing all disk “read/writes” the defragger makes and mark them as changes and therefore causing a large snapshot.

It would be nice if CTM would have some sort of “pause” button that temporary disables file monitoring so a defrag would be possible.

So, if I run a defrag, will the disc become defragged? and what do I do if my disc really needs a defrag? Uninstall CTM?

You are right. There’s no yet solution. You have to uninstall CTM as it won’t do any useful job with CTM running but eating your HD free space.

Biggest question, do you need to defrag??

I use to do this also quite frequently in the past… but with modern hardware and fast disks i can’t “feel” any improvement after a defrag anymore…

I sometimes hear that but not sure I agree. It can improve system boot and HDs unfortunately a mechanical thing and has a limited durability. IMO defragging and switching HD into AHCI mode can significantly improve that parameter.

Can I defrag the disk , and then reset CTM to the Baseline ?

I have to agree with Ronny. Also i do not believe that defragmentation is really needed. But it would be smart of the CTM installer if it would auto defrag the HDD before installation. Then we know for sure that all current software will not be fragmented. This includes the windows folders. They will then stay unfragmented for quite some time (at least till the next windows update will fragment them again). In general it’s the fragmented windows files that will slow down your pc.

Defrag isn’t need, but for SSD only (but have you see the price ? xD)

If you don’t defrag, it depends of how much data you change on your computer. More you change, more you fragment and your disk will dance to read all you want.
But defrag is not the only thing that is important, to place file at the begin of the disk because has you may already know, access time grow when you reach end of the disk.

As baseline doesn’t change and CTM just add file, you will go to the end of your disk, it’s some time you will lose.

So only for SSD, it doesn’t matter (and not recommended) but for other …
It’s easy to see bad performance of CTM, i didn’t try it with the last release because of all issues i have with it before, but because of how CTM works, optimizations will be needed.

True, but if you have a 1GB HDD and you have stored 800MB on it, then defrag will not reduce the used disk space. It will also not prevent that files are written at the end of the disk. It still needs to put that 800MB somewhere. The only thing that can help then is deleting a lot of data so that you use less disk space and the head does not need to go to the end of the disk. But then why do we have a huge disk?

Though it does help if your file is fragmented on locations at the disk end and disk start, though that doesn’t happen too often because the disk start is already claimed long ago when the first software was installed on your disk.

Remember that adding a file will add it somewhere at the end. It might get fragmented there, but the fragmenst will mostly be snippered at the end of the disk area too. The last generation hard drives (and the software) do try to keep the fragments close to each other, to prevent the head from moving to the beginning and the end of the disk. This is of course not always possible.

I myself does not really like to defrag my disks, what will happen to your data if your pc freezes, or if you got a brownout when it is busy doing a defrag? I don’t think CTM can help you to repair your disk if something like that happens.

If you want to keep your disk access fast, then best to install windows on 1 partition and all data on an other huge partition. That way your windows will not get fragmented that quickly. And your data partition has enough free space (cos it is huge) to move around without directly fragmenting the files. That will actually only be needed if you are running out of disk space.

Optimizing, it’s what some defrag do by putting important files to the begin of the disk and putting other at the middle or the end.
If you put your movies at the end, it doesn’t matter. If you put system file and applications files at end … Let me see your system when it start ;D

If you want to keep your disk access fast, then best to install windows on 1 partition and all data on an other huge partition. That way your windows will not get fragmented that quickly. And your data partition has enough free space (cos it is huge) to move around without directly fragmenting the files. That will actually only be needed if you are running out of disk space.

As I do, but it works for a limited time with changes, updates and data windows add like winsxs, applications settings, temp.
The only thing to do is to format periodically and i don’t like that.
And for CTM, as it just add file after baseline, it will grow access time for some file that have been updated for example.

+1

Wouldn’t the question be “Can I defrag the disk and then update the baseline?”

i thinks its the same question
anyway i wan to defrag my disk too, but windows an my data are in separated partition and i can uncheck my data partition in the CTM, with this unchecked can i defrag my data partition?
now its supposed to be ignored by CTM.

I’m not sure what you want to know exactly.

1. It’s not recommended (indeed it will do more harm than good) the defragmentation of a protected partition. Use the internal defragmentation tool of CTM.
  2. You can defragment any other partition not protected by CTM.