Error Message: Cannot find initialization data file

Every time I reboot. I get this message with the name on the top: “COMODO Installer” and the message is “Cannot find initialization data file”.

I run diagnostic and it said that everything is running fine and did not find anything wrong.

How can I fix this?

Help please.

Hi lomayok,
Is this a new install or have you recently updated program versions?
This sound like a possible corrupt installer or corrupt update.
Please download a new installer here and then do an uninstall/reinstall.

Caution
Use the following only if required with care.
If you continue to run into trouble reinstalling you could try Windows Installer CleanUp Utility after uninstalling CIS to remove previous installer traces of CIS.

Is this a new install or have you recently updated program versions?

It started like this: I tried to downgrade comodo by installing an older version. I got that old version from this forum. I searched for that old version and you can usually see download “here” without knowing that it is being updated and the actual installer that I got is is the latest version which is the same with the one installed in my pc.

I run the installer, and then all the problems started. I realized later that when I run the installer, I have not uninstalled comodo yet.

After a few days, I was able to install it right. I mean that the diagnostic finds everything to be okay. Only one problem left, the one I describe above that shows every time I reboot.

EDIT:

If you continue to run into trouble reinstalling you could try Windows Installer CleanUp Utility after uninstalling CIS to remove previous installer traces of CIS.

This is my last option I guess…

If I am reading the above correctly, it sounds like you could possibly have two different copies combining into one creating issues.
In this situation, you could also try running the unofficial Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products to help clean remains of CIS after uninstall before attempting a clean install.
Always use the programs inbuilt uninstaller first.

Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products

This one did not work too but better than the windows cleanup utility. I have to reinstall 3 apps after running windows cleanup utility.

If I am reading the above correctly, it sounds like you could possibly have two different copies combining into one creating issues.
Yes, this is what happened.

I am very willing to try anything to fixed this, so if anybody got more suggestions just post it here.

Thanks.

I also tried “restore” but the furthest that it can go is yesterday’s which is 14 june 2012. I think I made the mistake last june 12.
Edit: Fixed quote, captainsticks.

lomayok sorry nothing is working for you.
Try the Uninstaller for Comodo products in windows safe mode.
The Windows cleanup utility should in no way harm any of your programs, it will remove Windows Installer information while leaving the actual program intact.

The only other suggestion I have is the following MS Mr fixit, other than that I hope someone else can come up with a solution.

Try the Uninstaller for Comodo products in windows safe mode.

I think this is one thing I have not tried yet.

Thanks for the idea.

I hope it solves the issue.

I uninstalled it during safe mode.

To my surprise, comodo folders under program files are still intact, same with the drivers under system 32. I deleted everything manually because it can not be uninstalled anymore and then I run my disk cleaner and registry cleaner(registry first aid) then I rebooted.

To my amazement, cmdagent is still running under services(computer management) and the path is C:program files\comodo. I can’t find this folder under program files, and not even anywhere. For now, I just disabled it under services. See attached screenshot.

NOTE: Task manager does not show anything about cmdagent and it is not shown in start up list either.

Any suggestion on how to proceed before I reinstall comodo? May be a regedit will permanently stop it but I don’t know how. Please give me some guide about using regedit if you know something.

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Try to use the original clean up tool in Safe Mode. That way cmdagent.exe is no longer running and can the registry key be deleted with success.

Let us know if that fixed it or not.

Your uninstall is already quite messy, so I see no harm in removing the service using the SC Delete command if Erics suggestion for using the original Comodo cleanup tool fails.
SC Delete instructions

NOTE: Task manager does not show anything about cmdagent and it is not shown in start up list either.
Please note: For cmdagent to show in the task manager, you have to show processes from all users.
Try to use the original clean up tool in Safe Mode.
This one did the trick hahaha.

I reinstalled comodo and no error popup came out after reboot.

Thank you soooooo muuuuuuuch for your patience and time guys.

Lol Lol Lol…

SOLVED.

Glad to hear that Erics solution using the original clean up tool worked at solving the issue.
Thanks for this info Eric. :slight_smile:

I recently bumped into a topic where using the clean up tool from Jacob did not seem to properly clean CIS. Hence my suggestion to use the “classic” version.