End User License Agreement (EULA) Comodo BOClean

This is true. There is no doubt in my mind that Melih draws on and values Kevin’s input on stuff.

The problem is that all of us have installed hundreds of apps and glanced over the EULA because they all say pretty much the same thing. The problem is that this is one we should have read thoroughly and only a few picked up on the indemnity clause, and the rest clicked yes routinely. I mean it’s just another anti-spyware app… Who would suspect we’d be held to terms like this.

With all due respect:

Did you think about this:
Maybe people posted because they are really very worried about the EULA.
People who had no intention to bash Comodo or BOClean.
People who have been for a long time (paying) users of BOClean.
People who wish Kevin and BOClean all the very best.
People who have been very loyal users of BOClean for years and years.
People who would like to keep using BOClean (after Comodo acquired BOClean).
People who would like to keep using BOClean on more than one home personal computer, like they were allowed in the past, but which is NOT allowed in the new EULA.

I could go on. There is really much to say about that Comodo-BOClean EULA.
But I’ll stop now.
Kevin knows me for years and years.
If I’m no longer welcome, fine; one more word in that direction and I’ll be gone.

Jan

I believe most here will fit into the above listing… for the most part.

I could go on. There is really much to say about that Comodo-BOClean EULA. But I'll stop now. Kevin knows me for years and years. If I'm no longer welcome, fine; one more word in that direction and I'll be gone.

Jan,
I’m not sure where you might have gotten that impression but let me make it perfectly clear that your input is highly valued by the Comodo team.
Please don’t be put off by any comments that may have led you to believe otherwise.

I don’t see any problem with asking legitimate questions about the EULA. While they may be unnecessary or over-reacting (not saying they are…), there is no harm in asking. If you don’t ask, you won’t get an answer, that’s for sure!

I see no reason, Jan, for you to feel like you should leave the forums. Hope you stick it out…

LM

Jan.

What I am saying is that if you have a problem with the EULA, it is a problem between you and Comodo, and NOT between you and the users.

Greetz, Red.

Oh? I’m confused. Melih is smart NOW but wasn’t smart earlier in this thread? BS. He responded to concerns regarding the Eula earlier in this thread and even said he would take those concerns to his attorneys. He should be responding to this concern about the Eula also.

Can we now assume that the EULA was simply not very well written (or not written very well to be simply understood), and does not in fact hold BOClean’s users responsible for any claims against the company?

I don’t honestly know any person who installs software who actually reads every line of a EULA; most like me just scroll to the bottom and click on ‘I agree’. I do realise that this is wrong, but life’s too short (especially when you get to my age).

Perhaps Melih will consult with the legal team and let us know; and if necessary reword the document.

I don’t honestly think anyone posting on this thread is having a ‘go’ at Comodo. It produces excellent products and make them available free as well; what more could you want? I just think that a few users who have picked up on the apparent ambiguity of the EULA require an explanation and peace of mind.

Long Live Comodo! :slight_smile:

Mike.

It may be wrong, but as long as one accepts (and understands) the possible consequences of accepting a certain EULA one havn’t fully read, I think it’s not a big deal. For example, if you know that it is freeware, and you know that you are a singe and private user, just go for it! If you, on the other hand, intend to use it not only for private but on a company, it’s a better idea to read the EULA than leaving it.

Now I’m just a simple, single, private user - so I don’t mind reading it too carefully. Please forgive me :wink:

/LA

I think it would be very foolish to assume that. Words mean things… and to close your eyes and pretend that it doesn’t mean what it says would not be in ones best interest. I’ll bet Comodo doesn’t think that it is not well written. If they did it wouldn’t be there. Yeah, from the end user point of view, it sux. I have used BoClean for years and I still use 4.22 that I bought and paid for. I look forward to all the great things that Kevin said version 5 would be, but I won’t consider installing it until this EULA thing is changed.

Perhaps we will hear from Melih or Kevin soon then, and see what they interpret the words to mean, and if deemed necessary, change them. :slight_smile:

Thanks for putting it so well again Mike, that’s exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post #61. :slight_smile:

but you said it yourself: Storm in a teacup… hence my silence…:slight_smile: We are dealing with people’s interpration of what these things mean, rather than what they legally mean. As Mike suggested, perhaps they are not worded well enough, and I will ask the legal guys to make it more for us humans than them legals. However, there is no gotchas in this and my legal guys have confirmed that to me (they know I would be pretty upset if there were anything that would make us look bad). so apart from re-wording to make it easier, its just another EULA like the other providers in the market place.

Melih

Thanks for clearing that up Melih; had some of us worried for a moment there.

And thanks for the great software! (:CLP)

Melih, what about the non-transferable license of BOClean on 1 PC?

Well, that is standard clause against people who take our products and distribute it to their advantage etc… it gives us a control of how our products are distrubuted so that we can make sure our products are not being exploited.

Melih

Thanks for clearing this up, Melih. I can see where anyone who isn’t used to reading legal documents might be left scratching their heads. I have to deal with them quite often in my line of business so I am kind of used to “Lawyerese” LOL!!!

Hi Jan old friend :■■■■

I also tested the waters here @ Comodo when i first came here and wasn’t accepted too well.
You summed it up well. Kevin was indeed one of the forefathers of privacy advocation.
Even though those with more then one family PC can just download a new copy and have each family member install it, That don’t help for those parents trying to make things simple for their children.
I mean how many parents would want their kids getting admin rights to install security software? LOL
Every time I look at a thread I try to look at it in the mind set of gramma not the evil software stealer’s out there in this big bad world. I try to think what is best for the average user not the people that frequent these forums. I am an advocate for them. I will admit when I read the EULA I also see what is
concerning many users. I can remember one lawyer that actually helped me LOL
Not that it means much here at Comdo since not too many here know me at all but I really would suggest rewording the EULA is I were in your shoes.
I think that has been agreed upon here already.
That said, good luck to ya.

P.S and Jan if you go i go too (:SAD)
Bruce

I see, well that is understandable, I know that somebody would try and distribute it for their advantage, that is just how people are these days.

Justin

Wowsers and hell’s bells, boys and gurls … if you can’t find a problem in the product to complain about, go after the paperwork. :slight_smile:

For anyone fretting about installing BOClean based on the EULA, rest assured that Melih has children of his own, he doesn’t NEED yours! Heh. Sure, he’s got powerful lawyers who can don tinfoil helmet and hide in a woodpile far better than any of us mortal men, but still … for those of you who were BOClean customers, the SAME old same old applies to YOUR BOClean when you come and upgrade from here - that was a PROMISE to me and it’s been upheld. Name ANYONE who has received one of those MPAA or RIAA “lawsuit threat letters from a real court?” I don’t claim to speak for COMODO, but let’s be real here … what we’ve got is competitors of PSC whining because they learned what WE learned (at PSC) last year - you CANNOT compete with free … and that’s all this EULA whining is, the usual FUD from those folks who took down PSC and BOClean … and they’re whining about LEGALSPEAK? Sheesh. :frowning:

For those who have known and used BOClean … the SAME EULA that you had still applies … although it’s not in writing in the EULA because COMODO’s lawyers saw issues that OURS didn’t. But if you’re a BOCLEAN CUSTOMER, your name is registered with COMODO as part of our “we surrender, PSC is near bankrupt, what do we DO in order to keep BOClean alive and KEEP our promises to those who paid us money?” COMODO stepped in and saved the product, and gave me a job thus ensuring that BOClean wouldn’t go the way of TDS … it was NEVER anything beyond that! COMODO stepped in to keep OUR promise! And so far, months after the fact, BOClean is once again even working with Win9x again once I got listened to.

All COMODO is really worried about is having the product exploited - for those of you who were BOClean customers, the ORIGINAL contract still is being upheld … you can install it on as MANY machines as you PERSONALLY own … if you’re a BUSINESS (and BOClean BUSINESS contracts were ALWAYS different from PERSONAL users, just as it is HERE) then you have to PAY for the seats you install it on.

In other words, NOTHING has changed other than sheep being lead by the balls by former competitors, sour grapes, and fear mongering. Geez! I though the “security peeps” were smarter than that … but once again, the so-called “experts” are morons. :frowning:

Nobody’s going to send cops to your door because you have 5 or 6 machines in your house. Geez. :frowning: