Enblng Enhanced protection mode on x32 cmp w/ Nortn AV blocks most apps

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)
[ol]- Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.

• Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?: So far every time (twice)
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    a:Enable Enhanced protection mode
    b:Reboot
    c:System will allow login and bring up the desktop but the vast majority of apps are blocked (Including CIS which never completely loads but I do get the popup to install other Comodo offers like Geek connect or whatever it’s called and AV etc). Double click on applications and nothing. Apps which require elevation will not even pop the UAC prompt. Network shows not connected
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen: Stuff to work
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?: N/A
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version: N/A
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc: Maybe Driver failed to load? Nothing in the event logs which would indicate an issue but I do see indications of services and applications timing out on startup. The first time I had uninstalled CIS 5.2 and then installed 6.2.285401.2860 which I downloaded today from the website. Everything worked fine until I switched to proactive config and rebooted. Could not uninstall Comodo or bring any useful applications up. I dual boot XP so I switched to that and moved all the drivers and CIS Program folder to different locations. I was able to boot up successfully, copied them back and uninstalled 6.2.285401.2860. Ran both “cleaner” files from the forums… the updated app version and a bat file downloaded from comodo.com, rebooted and reinstalled. Install went fine, rebooted system… still working fine. Switch to proactive mode, reboot. System unusable again. This time I booted in to XP and moved the files but once I was back in Windows 7 I just copied them back and launched the application. Removed Enable Enhanced protection mode and rebooted. System working fine now, no other changes required
  • Always attach - Diagnostics file, Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware)
    [/ol]

B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)
[ol]- Exact CIS version & configuration: Comodo Firewall 6.2.285401.2860, Proactive

• Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV: D+/HIPS, Autosandbox, Firewall: All, HIPS=clean pc mode, BBlocker=Partially limited, Firewall=Safe
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.): No, but disabling enhanced protection solves the problem.
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?: No
    [li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?: NA
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do: NA
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used: Windows 7, SP1, 32bit, UAC=on, admin, VM not used
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: a=Norton AV b= Previously had CIS 5.2 but I uninstalled and rebooted before first install of 6.2
    [/ol]

This sounds like something may have gone wrong with your installation. Please try reinstalling CIS by following the advice I give in this post. Then, after reinstalling, be sure the only change you make is for Enhanced Protection mode and see if the problem repeats itself.

Thank you.

PM reminder sent.

I think you’ve misunderstood my post.

The first time I uninstalled 5.2 and installed from a fresh download of CIS from Comodo.com. After switching config to proactive which includes the enhanced protection option and rebooting I was unable to use the PC.

I then performed the steps indicated in the post and uninstalled CIS 6.2, ran both cleanup tools to remove any leftover traces, and then reinstalled again.

Both times the issue pops up upon selecting enhanced protection and rebooting.

As far as format I don’t see what you’re getting at, I copied it from the post and filled in the information. There is nothing to attach as the PC is unusable when the issue is ongoing, logs do not show anything when it’s recovered.

If you have some steps you want me to try by all means but without any information I honestly don’t have the time to just blindly jump in to it. What does enhanced protection mode actually do?

....selecting enhanced protection....
Only for OS 64 bit. Q.
What does enhanced protection mode actually do?
A.
Enable enhanced protection mode - On 64 bit systems, enabling this mode will activate additional host intrusion prevention techniques to countermeasure extremely sophisticated malware that tries to bypass regular countermeasures. Because of limitations in Windows 7/8 x64 systems, some HIPS functions in previous versions of CIS could theoretically be bypassed by malware. Enhanced Protection Mode implements several patent-pending ways to improve HIPS. CIS requires a system restart for enabling enhanced protection mode. (Default = Disabled)

Enhanced protection mode is made for 64 bit computers. However, it still shouldn’t cause problems on 32 bit computers.

However, I did notice one thing when I looked over your report again. Do you have CIS installed alongside Norton AV? If so you should know that having two antivirus products installed, even if one is disabled, can cause problems. Please try uninstalling one of the AV products (by that I mean you can uninstall Norton AV or uninstall Comodo AV but leave Comodo Firewall installed) and see if that solves your problem. I believe this is likely due to the two programs conflicting.

Also, as to the misunderstanding about the format, I had meant for you to copy in the code from this post, not this post. I apologize for the confusion.

Please try uninstalling on of the AV components and see if that solves the problem. Either way please report back and let me know how things are going.

Thank you.

Ahh I see thank you for the information Jenny and you Chiron for your assistance as well. Sorry about the format I’ll make a note in the future though hopefully it won’t be needed :wink:

Yes I am running 32bit at this time.

I did remove the option to install the Comodo AV from the CIS package so there was no conflict there either.

The only change I made from the default install was to switch to proactive config which apparently checks that option. The fix was to simply uncheck it.

Again just to reiterate after the first install I uninstalled it and then ran both utilities linked in a couple of posts here to “cleanup” any leftovers. Rebooted and then reinstalled.

After reinstalling I rebooted, system was fine. Switched config to proactive and rebooted, problem comes back. Worked around it and deselected the enhanced protection option and it’s been running fine since then.

All in all I’m pleased with it

Okay, now I understand better. I edited your first post so that it is in the format. I also edited the title to be slightly more descriptive.

All I need now in order to forward this to the devs in the KillSwitch process list (explanation of how to get that is here) and the diagnostics report. If possible run these while the computer is in the enhanced protection mode, but if they won’t run at that time please still create both when the computer is running normally.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

PM reminder sent.

I will now move this to the Non-Format Verified board.

Topics in this board are rarely looked at by the devs, and even if they are it is unlikely the devs can fix the bugs reported. The reason is that putting bug reports in the required format, with the required files, ensures that the devs have enough information to understand and identify the bug. Thus, without that files it becomes near impossible to replicate a bug such as yours.

To get your report forwarded to the devs please attach the two files I requested, and send me a PM. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (version 6.3.294583.2937)? Please let us know whether it is fixed or you are still experiencing the problem.

Also, note that all bug reports in the Non-Format section of the forum, which is where this report currently is, are mainly not looked at by the devs. Thus, if the bug you were experiencing is still not fixed please edit your first post so that it is in the correct format (found here, with all required attachments), so I can forward this to the devs and get this problem fixed.

Thank you.

PM sent.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (7.0.313494.4115)? Please respond to this topic letting us know whether it is fixed or if you are still experiencing the problem.

Also, note that all bug reports in the Non-Format section of the forum, which is where this report currently is, are mainly not looked at by the devs. Thus, if the bug you were experiencing is still not fixed please edit your first post so that it is in the correct format (found here, with all required attachments), so I can forward this to the devs and get this problem fixed.

Thank you.

PM sent.

I’m sorry, but as this has been in the Incomplete section for more than a single period I must now move this to Resolved. If you are still experiencing this issue, please create a properly formatted bug report, with all required information, so that this can be forwarded to the devs.

Thank you.