Email certificate not found

So, I got myself an email certificate. However:
When clicking the button in the confirmation mail my browser opened, giving me a conformation box that the certificate had been installed. However, upon trying to select the certificate in Outlook I cannot select the certificate : no certificate available. When I look in the Certification Manager (certmgr.msc) I can’t find the certificate in the “personal” folder.
I then downloaded the certificate through the link in the mail. This resulted in a file without extension : “CollectXXXXXXXX”. I tried to import that in de Certification Manager. No luck. I then renamed the file to “CollectXXXXXXXX.cer”. This time, I was able to import the certificate. I shows up as a personal certificate from “COMODO SHA-256 Client Authentication and Secure Email CA” for the correct email address, with the purpose “E-mail security n.n.n.n.n.n.n.n.n”

But still, when I try to select a certificate in Outlook it tells me that there are no applicable certificates.

What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you use Chrome (or one of its variants) to request and collect the certificate.

If you’re planning to use this with Outlook, request and collect the certificate with IE-only. It makes things a lot easier when it comes to configuring Outlook.(You can also use Firefox but extra steps are needed to configure Outlook)

At this point, if you haven’t made use of the certificate… I would revoke and re-request this time using IE to start and finish the process. The system should present you with installation instructions thereafter.

Thanks! Using IE it worked the first time. It might be a good idea to mention this on the Comodo website. Might save a lot of frustation.