E-mail scanner integration with client?

Just curious :slight_smile: How does CAVs email scanner integrate with an email client, like thunderbird? Most AVs that offer email scanning, act as a proxy, typically requiring some information about email account data. Perhaps I didn’t look hard enough, but I couldn’t find an equivalent in CAVS.

You don’t have to, it’s automatic…

However, it will only work for standard POP, SMTP ports 25, 110. Won’t work with Outlook, either, for some reason. Won’t work on any encrypted/SSL connection (which would require a different port…).

LM

So that rules out gmail, too?

I like CPF so much. I’ve thought about Trying CAVS I guess this rules that out for me (:AGY)

Thanks for the info.

Opus

I use googlemail and there is a feature in settings to allow you to set up an email client such as outlook express to access your googlemail emails using POP. To quote from googlemail help:

To enable POP in your Google Mail account:

1. Log in to your Google Mail account.

2. Click Settings at the top of any Google Mail page.

3. Click Forwarding and POP in the orange Mail Settings box.

4. Select Enable POP for all mail or Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.

5. Choose the action that you would like your Google Mail messages to take after they are accessed with POP.

6. Configure your POP client* and click Save Changes.

*To learn about configuring POP access, please visit the POP client configuration list.

:SMLR

Hi Anderow, that’s what I was referring to. I use thunderbird to collect all mail, regardless of provider. The problem is, google only supports encrypted connections over SSL and TLS respectively. That means port 995 for pop and 587 for smtp. So if CAVS only supports standard 110 and 25…

Ah yes, my mistake - I should have read the tin LOL!

How about using the googlemail setting to forward emails to another email address which you can configure Thunderbird to work with on 110 and 25?

Hi

This concerns me too, as I also use gmail. E-mail divertion is certanly one solution. But than I can even send a message to all of my contacts about a new address…than gmail will become useless…and if I want to stick w/ gmail anyway?

So divertion to another address would be quite inconvenient for me.
Is it possible to implement the capability of scanning emails thru other ports/protocols in a future update of CAVS? Before v3.

I would, but I already have several accounts aggregated through google… :slight_smile:

Perhaps a future version of CAVS may be a bit more flexible with email scanner - I suppose we will have to wait and see. I would really like to see the email scanner work with exchange server and outlook - I think many more small businesses would be inclined to use CAVS if this were the case.

Good point Anderow. Essentially it needs an interface to allow configuration details (IP, ports, etc) to be entered, an item for the wish list me thinks :slight_smile:

Ah yes, you might check out one of my recent posts in the “List”… :wink:

LM