Dragon 33 - Flash Player issues workaround!

Hi JoWa, thanks but

My Win7pro with Chrome Version 34.0.1847.131 m & either Adobe flash/chrome flash 13.0.0.206 or PepperFlash will not play TED.
BTW Chrome tells me it is UP TO DATE with the above rev ! FF runs just fine.

Hi huntsman,

I tried with another computer with W7 64-bit and Chrome 34.0.1847.131, and videos play there too. Actually, at first try, there was only black, as you described. Maybe you just need to give it one more try (reload the page). And make sure cookies from ted.com are allowed.
And yes, your Chrome is up to date; 34.0.1847.131 is the latest stable version (I use beta). :wink:

Where is this “ASAP” update? It’s been several days already!!

Hi huntsman,
I found some inconsistent loading of ted.com, it would load video’s correctly sometimes and not others.

After adding ted.com to PrivDogs exceptions list it loaded video’s correctly every time, using either Flash.
This particular site looks like a PrivDog issue/conflict and not a Flash issue at all.
Try adding ted.com to PrivDogs exception list and to any other blocking 3rd party extensions.

Kind regards.

Thanks captainsticks,
I don’t use PrivDog but I do use Adblock Plus. I’ll use your suggestion & see how it goes. I’ll also make sure cookies are allowed as JoWa suggests. Have to go out to a customer. Will let you know later, if these suggestions help.

Update:
forgot to mention also (another subject/problem for others). Comodo is still only offering CD V29 on the web site, anyone hoping to get a clean update has to install V29 & then wait for CD to auto update, assuming the function is on in settings. Comodo should update their web site to correct this for those who don’t understand what’s going on!

You are welcome huntsman, I hope it works as expected.

Update: forgot to mention also (another subject/problem for others). Comodo is still only offering CD V29 on the web site, anyone hoping to get a clean update has to install V29 & then wait for CD to auto update, assuming the function is on in settings. Comodo should update their web site to correct this for those who don't understand what's going on!
I have informed Staff of the above mentioned issue shown in the quote below, in the mean time the download link in release topic gives the correct current version.

Comodo Dragon ver 33.0 is now available for download

Thanks.

Problem solved. TED plays OK, other uTubes weren’t affected !
Your advice re PrivDog set me to thinking, it has to be one of my extensions.
Not sure at present if the Adobe or Chrome Flash is still a problem.
Haven’t had time to revert back to it. Still running with PepperFlash.

Turned out to be due to the extension ‘HTTPS Everywhere’. Not sure why !
I have the extension in both Chrome & CD. So I’ve disabled it for TED…

btw…It’s not a site cookie problem, for me. I allow cookies but block 3rd party cookies.

Not a good solution for me tho. I want SSL on every site possible.
I dislike others spying on my Net activity…NSA for example, who passes the info to the spooks in my country.
I want HTTPS Everywhere to make it more difficult for them ! Guess I need to let the guys at TOR know.

Thanks for the help guys.

For me it works with all rules except Doubleclick.net enabled, and that rule is disabled by default, as is the rule for TED (both experimental).

[attachment deleted by admin]

‘HTTPS Everywhere’ doesn’t have a whitelist or exclude option, so it has to be disabled in the Extensions list. Bit of a pain turning it on/off, but need my TED fix every day …lol I hope there’s a better solution from Comodo ?

Captainsticks… Comodo has had that request for CD V33 on their web site for 2 weeks, is it so hard to update it ? Not everyone knows about or uses the forum ! so the non technical think they are getting the latest from the Comodo web site, which isn’t the case…

Did you try disabling the option ‘Doubleclick.net’ as JoWa mentioned?

Captainsticks.. Comodo has had that request for CD V33 on their web site for 2 weeks, is it so hard to update it ? Not everyone knows about or uses the forum ! so the non technical think they are getting the latest from the Comodo web site, which isn't the case..
[s]I will send a reminder to Staff.[/s] [b]Edit:[/b] I have sent a reminder to Staff and also informed a second Staff member.

Thanks.

Doubleclick is used by Google to track our behaviour, I think ? It’s a sneaky redirect ! I turned it off a long time ago.
Couldn’t remember where to look for it ?
If it’s an extension, I don’t use it. Don’t recall seeing it in the ‘Settings’.

It will show up if you expand the HTTPs everywhere menu from the address bar icon.
Only if the page has ‘Doubleclick’ content and not be already blocked by any other method.
Edit: ABP is probably blocking ‘Doubleclick’ on your system.

Thanks for the followup. I checked ABP after my last post.

ABP wasn’t blocking Doubleclick & many, many others, because they have a tickbox which allows a huge list of selected ads, even when using their standard ‘Easy List’. I have it blocked now.

By way of explanation for others…
If depending on ABP to block everything, they need to untick the box at the bottom of the options screen.
AdBlock may also do it, I haven’t checked.

cheers & thanks again.

Hi huntsman,

It seems to me that you miss one thing in my and captainsticks’ posts: that there is a HTTPS Everywhere-button in the address-bar (see attached image), and if you click on it, a menu appears, where you can enable/disable certain rules.

Thanks JoWa, I was right clicking…dumb me !
ABP is blocking doubleclick now.
Is the Comodo (partial) still experimental? I haven’t ticked it.

!ot!

More Comodo-domains are enabled in the development branch¹, which will soon be released as stable.

I have reported that some of the “problematic” domains and subdomains are no longer problematic.

¹ HTTPS Everywhere Atlas

Thanks JoWa.
I’ve also logged a bug report on the eff/tor site for the HTTPS Everywhere TED.com problem.

Thanks for all the ideas about pepper flash, and it’s something that was talked about on The Dirt Farmer page, but it seems like way too much work for someone who got lost in the first sentence of what to do with it…

Like someone mentioned, I just want it to work, without having to jump through hoops and give my first born (which never happened) to get it done. I’ll tolerate it or use another browser on some things till an update is done, I have 4 installed, but only Dragon and Chrome have ad blockers that really work correctly.

Thank you Alexandru. This does indeed fix the issues I was having with v33.

Google Chrome 34.0.1847.137 with Flah Player 13.0.0.214 has been released.