Don't use the Disk Clean-up and Duplicate Files programs

Disk Clean-up and Duplicate Files disabled my internet access and system restore function and I had to restore Windows. These programs have no restore facility and should be withdrawn until they do.

Hello,

Please tell us what was the version of CSC that you used.

A friend used these programs and has had to buy a new computer because she didn’t have Windows discs or a recovery partition. She thinks Comodo are responsible for the problem and irresponsible in releasing programs with such harmful effects. We know it’s free but that shouldn’t mean irresponsible.

She can not blame Comodo, just because she didn’t have Windows discs. Most systems come with their own discs, or a recovery partition, which allows the user to make his own Windows discs.

Hello,

I am sorry for causing such big problems. The .19 version will be replaced with a new release in at most 2 weeks.
You are the only user(at this moment) reporting this problem and we have no info on how to replicate it. So, any additional info would be of great help.

Something similar happens to me but with Disc Clean-UP.
After rebooting, everything seems to be OK and I deleted the files that Comodo found, but when I attempt to uninstall some applications, an error message appears -Unable to create a temporary file. Setup aborted. Error 5-

Another issue concerns to Windows backup and restore points. No backup are available although I created some backups days ago, and I can’t create new one because I can’t set the name of the new backup point.
Is there any possibility to recover files deleted in a similar way as recovering registry entries?
How can I solve this problem?
My system runs on XP SP3 and CSC is the latest update.

I used to jump in when new products are released, now i realise my folly. Give it time before using unless youre extremely knowledgeable.

First of all, I would like to remind you that this is a beta software and is not meant for everyone…

BETA NOTICE: This product is intended for special users (BETA Testers) who would like to join the testing process. It may contain major bugs that could cause serious problems and not be suitable for your everyday use yet. Please do not use it in your production machines.

Secondly, it would be a good idea to add a warning message to Duplicate Files utility. Something like this:
“CAUTION: Duplicate Files is a powerful utility which can cause data loss or even make operating system unbootable if it’s used by inexperienced user.” I remember when I used similar utility for the first time it also ended up with OS reinstalling, but it was back then in Windows 95 era ;D.

if u run duplicate cleaner do they just remove the duplicate fiie and leave the original file on your computer ?

Hi,

The Duplicate Files basically does what you said, but you have the choice to select which duplicate files to delete. It first scans and creates a lists from you can choose what duplicate files to erase, it doesn’t delete them automatically.

Thank you for your support.

Duplicate files shows you files that appear more than once… it cannot distinguish which one is the original. This saves you time to search the computer and see if you saved something twice. But at this point you have to analyze the list and see what you want to keep or not. You have to choose what it’s original and keep… what is junk and delete both even. Duplicate files does not make choices about what to keep or not.

If I run duplicate file cleaner on my pc, some of my important files required to run a game will be deleted and there for requires a brandnew re-install.

I agree on this one. After cleaning, COMODO System Cleaner sometimes tends to block those blocks that it cleared before, as if you’d be unable to use those partitions, if you know what I mean. E.g. you installed a program, then you uninstalled it and used COMODO System Cleaner for possible left-overs. Afterwards, when you attempt to install the same program after some time, you’re unable to install it because of some error.