Does Comodo have too many pop ups?

He already mentioned Office and WinRar. I don’t use or have access to Office, but I did download and install WinRar. I got the initial popup that the installer wanted to do something. I told D+ to treat it as an installer/updater, clicked Yes and didn’t see another popup…

As for the other questions, we’ve asked and asked for more information on his setup and he ignores that.

I use CIS with its default configuration and I am very happy with it,.
it would be great if CIS maintains prevention as its first line of defense but becomes more automated(style of NIS 09).

Go luck Comodo team.

The only pop-ups that I have ever gotten were concerning programs that were new to Comodo and considered a potential security risk.

For those who want a security program with no bothersome pop-ups that will allow virtually any new program to run without the hassle of checking its security status with the operator I would suggest NIS 2009 its completely hassle free and designed to be so user friendly that anyone can run it without the complications of security checks . The downside is that it only scores 40/340 on the Comodo Leak Tests, but who cares its hassle free, right!?

~Maxx~

NIS 2009 is an excellent program and I suspect the Comodo leak test is designed to promote Comodo. That’s okay but take it with several grains of salt.

Cleanpc mode enable pending file list which provide an easy way to lookup the online DB.

Besides first installation with CleanPC enabled already address the applications installed.

Nevertheless despite what average users may think legitimate applications do not bear a visible “legitimacy tag” (that could be the digital certificate if the vendor bother to not use them only for installers)

So apparently “frequent alerts” actually mean the so called average user is actually downloading and installing many new unknown apps.

And this would apparently be a pretty unlikely approach for an average user or a novice whenever some who do otherwise may not be aware that they could be increasing the chances to install a new malicious app.

New samples only 80 % with behavior-based detection (NIS2010 Sonar 2)

They tested behavior-based detected using very new samples. Norton found 80% of these, which AV-Test calls an excellent result.
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/07/norton_2010_beta_benchmarks.php http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Protection-Blog/SONAR-2/ba-p/117130

80% is far higher than most other programs achieve. That’s why they rate it as excellent.

I personally don’t see CIS as having to many popups. I have everything set on the highest settings. I use the popups correctly by setting apps I trust to trusted and so on, instead of clicking allow for every popup and after two days or so no more popups.

I mean I have spent weeks using my pc (no new installations) without a single popup.

Instead of telling COMODO to reduce popups all the time, teach “joe” to use security software appropriately. Education is the first step to creating a safer internet.

Seeing as how Kapersky and others can also pass 340/340 how then can the Leak Tests be designed to promote only Comodo? The Leak Tests were designed to evaluate 34 exploitable areas common to all computer security systems not just CIS.

~Maxx~

Pop-ups heavily depend on your settings. My advice would be to use Defense+ in training mode and Firewall in Safe mode. That way you’ll eradicate any pop-ups when installing / updating any application on your PC and get notifications only when an application attempts to connect to the internet.

Has anyone else noticed but the person V941726 who started this whole shebang has suddenly disappeared from it. He hasn’t entered one single response since the mods moved it to a thread on its own. I thought he was just trolling. He will probably be back moaning about something else under a different nom de plume shortly.

But if you encounter malware, it’s behaviour will be learned and considered safe! :-\

It would be safer to just disable Defense+ than set it permanently to Training Mode.

You should not have to manually set anything for safe applications.

It may be an oversimplification though this is the overall difference between Default Allow and Default Deny.

DA allow Everything it is not “blacklisted” whereas DD block everything that is not “safelisted”.

So in case of DA there is a risk that an unknown threat slips though whereas in case of DD some legit application may trigger alerts.

Still CIS provide multiple way to address legit apps that are not safe-listed with minimal effort whereas safe-listing can usually address many legit apps.

Comodo leaktest is designed to test for leaks mainly… Many firewalls until most recently has been very bad at preventing leaks, thats the reason for some firewalls low scores… =)
Ofc its bad PR for norton to not receive good scores in leak tests and some might see it as a PR trick by comodo… But reality is CIS has a LONG LONG time proved itself to be top notch at preventing leaks… :-TU

Not just on the free test tools released by comodo… But also on test sites like matousec… =) Also CIS has picked up on window hiding, keylogging tests and similar stuff… And passes (almost?) all public tests that poses a threat to users. Norton on the other hand passes a handful of tests. (not saying NIS is a bad product… but there is a reason why CIS get better scores…) :-TU

@thread maker…

Go back to wilders…
Dam troll.

Please don’t call names. We are on it.

The Norton “chatter” is not OT. Norton was introduced into the discussion as an example of a security app that does not bombard people with alerts. I think it is very much on target.

Example of a security apps that does not provide much alerts are those based on Default allow (and thus block only threat they detect) or alert based intelligent Behavior blockers (that may let slip through some threats).

I understand that but, for the great majority of people in the vast majority (probably 99.9%) of cases, that is sufficient.