Does CIS 4 work with Win XP SP3?

Sorry if this question has been asked before somewhere here, but I did a search and couldn’t find it.

On the download page for CIS4 here it says:

System Requirements: 32-bit Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2 128 MB RAM 210 MB hard disk space

It says nothing about XP SP3 (although there is a thing in the menu called “Universal Windows Web Installer.”)

So does this work with SP3?

Thanks.

Sure. This is the minimum requirement for Windows XP.

Ok thanks. But perhaps Comodo ought to include “SP3” on their system requirements, for ignoramuses like me who haven’t a clue. :wink:

Btw, for anyone that still uses SP2 and isn’t aware of this, they should upgrade to SP3 asap because the other day that nice Mr Gates decided to no longer support Win XP SP2 and there has since been a security flaw discovered in it which will allow hackers to access systems. (SP3 is a big upgrade and it took me about one and a half hours to install it all and reboot the system.)

Service Pack 3 is available here.

You should have known better, i.e. that Windows does not support sp2 anymore, and it’s not Windows fault, everyone has been warned since a long time.

If you have a sp2 cd, and do not want to get in trouble (even if limited with a dsl/cable connexion), you should definitely have an offline copy of this large download or, better, make your own cd according to this “new” standard.

Now, speaking of CIS4, it doesn’t work more or less with sp2/sp3 then with anything else: it plainly does not work at all, and you should either wait (and see…) for CIS 5, either and again have saved a local CIS 3 copy.

Yikes! :o Thanks for the info, but I’ve now already installed CIS 4 and idiotically didn’t keep a copy of CIS 3. However, after a few teething problems (such as it kept putting trusted programs inside something called a “sandbox” and kept disconnecting me from the internet) it all seems to be working ok so far. I’ll be a guinea pig then and let you guys know what (if any) further problems I might get.

As far as Microsoft not supporting SP2 any more, it only happened about 3 weeks ago as far as I know, so I just thought I’d mention it for the benefit of anyone reading this thread who’s not aware.

If you have an XP SP2 CD or even one that’s only SP1, you can make a new CD with SP3 by using a free program called AutoStreamer. It works very well.

You don’t need any software to slipstream sp3, as illustrated here (sorry, in french, but screen captures self speaking):

Or the same, in english but without pictures:

If having to use a software, i wouldn’t use a dedicated one (i.e., for the only sake of migrating sp2 to sp3), but a general tool like bcd, available from:

It also would be the occasion, if you haven’t, to realize a Bart PE bootable media as an emergency tool.

Thanks a lot for the info guys and I’ll check all that out. Since I installed SP3, I’ve no problems with it so far and I can see no obvious difference in its performance or the appearance of Windows from SP2, so I guess it’s all “under the hood.”

Going back to CIS 4, I’ve not had any major problems with that either so far (apart from the “sandbox” thing I mentioned earlier which I’ve now managed to solve, although I did have to go searching through the menus as I could find nothing obvious in the help screens about how to allow programs that Comodo has put inside it.)

I was installing something yesterday though and looking for the “switch to installation mode” option which appears on earlier versions, but it’s no longer there. It seems it’s now automatic in CIS 4, and that Comodo detects when a user is installing something and assumes it’s trusted (as opposed to something being installed by a hacker or something that’s illegally gained access to the system) and the installation went smoothly without Comodo asking me any questions at all.

I was confused though, because the “help tip” that appeared on the screen at the time was:

Did you know that if you switch to "Installation Mode" the applications treated as "Installer" or "Updater" will have more privileges?

I then wasted at least 5 minutes trying to find out how to switch to Installation Mode before I installed the program, so I can’t understand why Comodo put that “help tip” there if it’s no longer relevant … :-\

The reasons why I used Autostreamer are:

It’s much easier. You don’t have to work from command prompts and do all that tedious typing while making sure that every character is totally correct.

I don’t have burning software capable of creating a bootable CD. The burning program that came with this machine can’t do it but can do many other things like create multi-session disks and burning ISO’s.

You have only 2 command lines.

If your burning software is not able to make bootable cd (what kind of junk is it ???), precisely note that i know of no freeware (at least in the windows and gui world) able to do it.

But bcd precisely does, bringing to windows from cygwin 2 very small linux executables (mkisofs for iso building, and cdrecord for actual burning (cdrtools - Kostenlose CD / DVD / Blu-ray Software)): booting ability is only the one to copy the appropriate bootfiles at the right physical media place.

A real lot of command line and windows usable linux utilities do the job, but i know, you hate the command line, and that is why bcd is good (only 2 simple ones); but, of course, an integral gui tool like clonecd is much more convivial…but not free.

The burning software is called Sonic Digital Media Plus and it’s a version that was bundled in HP computers. It works very well for everything but bootable discs and the need to make them is very rarely needed. I do have a version of ImgBurn that is bundled in with a free DVD authoring app called DVD Flick. Lo and behold, ImgBurn, while totally free, can create bootable discs but you have to supply the boot files. ImgBurn however can not create multi-session data discs while Sonic can. I do have a disc to install Nero but that program is so bloated with things I’d never use that I prefer Sonic.
To be honest , I don’t completely recall if I had to supply a boot image for Autostreamer when I made my XP SP3 disc from one with SP2 but I don’t think I did. I think I just had to copy the files from the original disc, download SP3 and then have Autostreamer create an ISO that I then burned with Sonic.

bootfiles and boot image are not the same thing.

The burning software cannot know what os you intend to use, and thus what files to copy, but it wouldn’t be an issue in the present situation: the bootfiles are the very same for windows 2000 and whatever windows xp flavour.

But you don’t need the said bootfiles to build a bootable CD, they are only useful to make a live CD (as such, some utilities like the very basic HP format ask you for the path of the files to copy, they are not supposed to be software included because Microsoft copyrighted).

In order to realize a booting CD, it is enough to burn it as a data CD in the appropriate Joliet format, whereas, to realize a live booting media, you need to copy not only the bootfiles, but the boot sectors at their appropriate physical place (the reason why plainly copying the whole files from a place to another does not work).

I reinstalled Autostreamer and it does include the boot.ini file in the ISO it creates. It does create a bootable Windows CD with any software that can burn disk images.

Oh come on!

It certainly worked for me.

It works but not without some glitches and annoyances.

For a few people, but to make a statement that it doesn’t work is a nonsense.