Diskeeper conflict?

I have been using and appreciating GoBack on my XP machine for years. Diskeeper has a feature that allows you to exclude certain files. For GoBack it is "gobackio.bin"which is excluded by Diskeeper. I will need something for Windows 7 in the future, and the Comodo Time Machine sounds like the perfect solution. .
Is there a file exclusion that can be listed in Diskeeper’s file exclusion feature for the Comodo Time Machine?

From what I understand (could be wrong on this) the “gobackio.bin” file exclusion in Diskeeper helps avoid redundant use of free disc space by GoBack when something is defragmented by Diskeeper. Or, is that exclusion listed so that Diskeeper will not try to defrag the GoBack backup data while Goback is working?

Anyone can help?

Thank you, GeneZ

Does GoBack use separate partition to save system snapshots? I don’t remember exactly, CTM uses completely another technology. It isn’t compatible with defragmenters. U could run DiskKeeper but it won’t help and will cost an extra disk usage. There r exclusions in CTM for preserving virus databases, documents etc which have been modified since the last snapshot. Nothing like ‘gobackbin.bin’ as u described. CTM has some advantages over goback. U could give it a try when multiple bugs in CTM are eliminated.

Regarding defraggers, I use PerfectDisk and it has a boot-time defrag option. Does anyone know if boot time defrag (also available in Diskeeper) is compatible with CTM?

Don’t think it is.

Not to my knowledge.

I don't remember exactly, CTM uses completely another technology. It isn't compatible with defragmenters.

The first version of GoBack was that way, too. But they found a way to avoid the defrag problem.

U could run DiskKeeper but it won't help and will cost an extra disk usage. There r exclusions in CTM for preserving virus databases, documents etc which have been modified since the last snapshot. Nothing like 'gobackbin.bin' as u described. CTM has some advantages over goback. U could give it a try when multiple bugs in CTM are eliminated.

What kind of advantages? A totally fragmented hard drive?

Rollback Rx tells you to uninstall it and then defrag. After the defrag, reinstall. Why is GoBack so much better in this respect? I wish Symantec would sell the product to someone who would know how to update it for Vista/Windows 7. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

GeneZ

Couldn’t CTM defragment its own snapshots?

Isn’t that only if you want to use a 3rd party defragger? And you lose all of your snapshots. :slight_smile:

This is what eaz-fix says about it. http://www.eazsolution.com/kb/article.php?id=099

Yes, it does.

But the problem has to do with the rest of the hard drive that becomes fragmented over time .

With Rollback Rx, and with what I am being told about the Comodo, you can not defrag your regular drives without first disabling the rollback software. GoBack does not have such a problem in its latest versions. I do not have to disable (or uninstall) Goback. I simply clear out the Goback History and start over if I want to, but do not have to. Diskeeper is always working in the background and is automatically defragging. That keeps my PC fast as far as fragmentation slow ups.

GeneZ

??? Sorrry… Eaz Fix is not the software we are trying to find out about.

Not all rollback softwares share the same features and limitations. I wish Symantec would upgade GoBack. It would make life much better for those who appreciate how it already works.

GeneZ

They share the same engine so everything told about EAZ can be told about CTM as I understand it.

I wish the same. To my POV and kind of work advantages are evident. You could take a look at this http://www.horizondatasys.com/217872.ihtml. Not everything is a lie, + it’s free.

That explains it.

I wish the same. To my POV and kind of work advantages are evident. You could take a look at this http://www.horizondatasys.com/217872.ihtml. Not everything is a lie, + it's free.

Rollback Rx has been free to try. But, its not free. Also, more expensive than GoBack.

I had been looking into it. I even contacted the support. I was told that if I wanted to defrag my hard drive? It would require that you uninstall RRx first, and then defrag. After the defrag… reinstall RRx.

I have had too many close calls that GoBack has saved me from to know I should never be without it, or an equivalent. If I have to hassle with uninstalling RRx to defrag, so be it. Yet, if Comodo does what I need? Why go with RRx? Just uninstall, and reinstall when defragging should solve the wasted space issue.

I can not stay with XP forever. Vista puts me off. 7 sounds like it will be better.

Thanks, GeneZ

It IS better! Good luck :slight_smile: