disable balloon popups of agents

hi,
how can i uncheck / switch off the balloon message popup at endpoint agents(Clients) by using CESM?

thanks lars

EDIT:

i mean with CESM sequence and task. Can not find the right thing in sequence. is there any function in sequence to do so?

At the present time balloon message cannot be disabled by CESM.
This message inform user if case if administrator approval is necessary and when CIS is learning.

If user has enough privileges to set CIS to local mode, it’s possible to disable it form CIS GUI:
Settings->General-> Show balloon message.

Otherwise it’s impossible to avoid situation when user cannot run some task and does not understand why it is happening.

so basically seeing its a good idea. but i noticed, that it also create a balloon message every time after it has updated the database. if i am right it makes this every half hour. if now the user is not at his place lets say for six hours, he has to close 12 balloons saying its av-db has been updated. at least it should be possible to have the possibility to choose, for what event to popup. lets say if a a thread is detected. or db is older then x days. in a management environment its better, not to give the endpoint user to many unimportant (or better: not so important) information, because they will just start clicking them away without reading them. if then something important will pop up, they will not pay attention to it.
for me its important not to have this update notifier at the endpoint. its my job to make shure my clients are up to date.
I dont remember where i read this here in the forum, but they have been some people, who wished to have the update frequency adjustable. if i remember right the idea of updating twice an hour (please correct me when i am wrong) is to give maximum security. now in environment with CESM means that there is a DOMAIN / AD or similar with user rights. if its in a company then anyway no standard user has rights to make system changes and access to internet is/should also be limited or should be at least filtered and scanned. if you have, for ex 30 pc connected to AD and u give everyone full control and unlimited access to the internet, the best AV can do nothing. if you work on a single pc its for sure different.

And hey… that i can not change this setting by CESM… boah do you now how far i have to walk now… :slight_smile: cheers lars

Is there anyway to disable the notification for the ‘Virus db has been updated’ and leave it enabled for the other notifications? or at least to reduce it to once a day?

This is not possible in current CIS version, but your feedback will be considered for further versions.

for now i have a workaround. i just disable the automatic update in realtime scanner. so i can update through ESM.
It would be perfect for me , if i coud run a user logon script in our AD like “cfpupdat.exe” without then, having the user to click next. like for ex. “cfpupdat.exe /all”.
and then just showing that its successful updated or that its already upated or whatever. even no popup would be fine

maybe “cfpupdat.exe” has some function like this and its just not documented ?

sorry guys to ask so many things, but we need to update the AV in our AD. so before making a decision, we have to be shure. if we change to comodo, i must be shure not to disturb our manager staff with to many interaction and popups. Bosses are like small children and have no patients.

Now by thinking more about it, a perfect solution for customized running of processes would be the possibility to do it by shell script or cmd prompt. this would make CIS very powerful. a lot of people prefer using command line instead of clicking throug windows.

Try command line:
cfpupdat.exe -cfpaia
This way CIS updater should start runnig in silent mode

yep, working. but it looks to me, that its only updating the engine? and not the Virus db. is it possible to do it this way for the virus def. db ? thanks lars

Sure. AV db update does not require any user interaction. If you switched off auto updates in order to reduce popups, you should create a task based on action "CIS Update (Virus databases/Programs) and schedule it (step “Schedule” in New Task Wizard or tab “Shedule” in Task Manager).

this is how i do it right now. but this is controlled by time. i would like to make this by logon script from my AD Controller. so i could make shure, even if a computer haven’t be switched on for a while(even some months), the moment the computer is joining the AD it will be updated. so only thing i need to know is, if i can run a virus def db update by command prompt. it also does not to be silent.

It is very good idea, I’ll make sure that it will be implemented once, but for now it is not possible, sorry.

There are two ways to disable pop-up balloon message in CIS:

I) Using Local Administrator mode (should be applied individually on each workstation)

1. Open CIS’ user interface on the remote endpoint;
  2. Switch CIS to Local Administrator mode
    NOTE 1: You need to have either Administrative privileges or Local Mode password to switch CIS to Local Administrator Mode
    Note 2: Use “CIS – Set Local Mode password” action to set Local Mode password if the endpoint’s user does not have administrative privileges.
  3. Choose “More” tab;
  4. Choose “Settings” at the “More” tab, then new settings’ window will be shown;
  5. On General tab of the windows uncheck checkbox “Show balloon message”
  6. Switch back to Remote Administration mode.
    II) By direct editing of the CIS configuration file (can be applied centrally)
  7. Open CIS configuration you want to apply on the workstations with CIS configuration editor.
  8. Press File-> Save As and save the configuration as xml-file.
  9. Open saved file by xml-editor or text editor (for example Notepad).
  10. Find item “Showballoon” and change its value from True to False
  11. Save the file.
  12. Create new sequence.
  13. Add action “CIS – Set config” to the sequence.
  14. Open CIS configuration editor from the action to edit created configuration.
  15. Press File → Open
  16. Select the file saved on step 2
  17. Press “Ok” on the configuration editor.
  18. Save the sequence.
  19. Add the sequence to some task.
  20. Apply it the workstations you want