Diagnostic utility finds a problem..

That depends on how much of an annoyance it is to you, and based on the postings so far, I can sense it’s a big one. Actually, I personally would uninstall SP3 and (clean) reinstall CFP 3 anyway because if the Diagnostics Wizard isn’t properly working as it should, what will happen come the time when you really need it to fix CFP3? I think it’s not a mere annoyance after all…

Its not SP3 cause I am running it on 5 machines with no troubles. Why don’t you try uninstalling all security programs. When your done the Windows Security Center should show no firewall or av active. Reboot several times. I never had to go through the comprehensive clean up cause Revo and CCleaner took care of everything. I also did a manual search myself. There are hidden folders in C\Documents and Settings\User ID\All users. Install Comodo and see what happens. It just may be time to reformat also. I have had the same install for over 5 years now with no troubles.

Reformat? Eek!
Only if absolutely necessary. I’d rather wax a body part. (And yet it does hold a the same sense of masochistic allure…)

The “sense” is correct, it’s bugging me a little. So I think I’ll try the whole uninstall/reinstall multi-reboot thing as recommended, let you know how that goes after a day or four.

Thanks very much for the suggestions and support, much appreciated.

Well be sure everything is gone and atleast 3 reboots before installing anything.

OK, thanks. (I’ll do 4 reboots, and one of them will be from “cold”).

While we’re at it, why not make it 5? How do you guys come up with the number of reboots? ;D

To heck with that!
I’ll make it 10!
That’ll show it!

Unbelievable!
Still the same problem!
After uninstalling all security software using Revo Uninstaller/advanced mode, restarting between each uninstall, running the .bat file to clear the CFP files (there were none) running Ccleaner reg cleaner (there were none) and then restarting 4 times. Still the same problem. I even turned off DEP, just in case that was it.
CFP was the first security item to be re-installed, firewall and D+. From a near new installer for the current version.

Total shot in the dark. Do I have to re-register guard32.dll, and if so, how?
Any other suggestions?
Anyone else care to attempt to duplicate this problem?

Its gotta be something in your pc. Years ago I when I played Fable I had some sound but not all sounds from the game. I uninstalled and reinstalled hundreds of times. Same problem. Reformatted and it was fixed.

T…

when was last time you reformatted? Maybe it could be only way…

Josh

No, don’t reformat. At least not before you try uninstalling SP3 (:WIN)

Soyabeaner, would you also uninstall/reinstall CFP ?

Definitely. Might as well because the CFP installation was imperfect or slightly corrupted with that one file.

On hindsight, when I installed SP3, I uninstalled everything else first, had “bare bones” running. If I’m to try the reverse procedure, might as well do the same. Bit of a PITA, though.
I’m starting to get a bit tempted to just not worry about it.

It may be PITA, but the amount of time you invested in this thread probably will exceed the process to reinstall SP3 (assuming it isn’t the culprit ;D), but at least you’ll uncover the truth on whether it really is SP3 or not :-*

Dagnabbit! It wasn’t SP3. ???
I’m going to have to reformat/reinstall Winders. >:(
I ain’t going to rush into this, though. Need to move some things between partitions, first. I have far too many programs running on my storage partition (partly a result of, I think, poor advice from a tech when I bought this system) but at least I don’t have too many non-program based files on the OS partition.
I will need to learn how to format one partition and install the OS on it, without losing data and the ability to access same on the storage partition.
If you know of any good tutorial, or can offer advice there, that’d be excellent. I have the XP Home disk, and all other software either on factory disks or installers saved to a folder.
Currently running CFP2, CMF, TF, Secunia PSI, and Avast, a setup that has served me very well and works smoothly. Shame Secunia reports CFP2 as end-of-life. :-[

So did annoy you after all (:TNG). Rather than a regular reformat, anything else other than nLite wouldn’t be recommended. You can even slipstream things.

Thanks Soyabeaner. Nice bit of light reading, there, especially when taking the included useful links into account.
There’s not much I want to remove from XP, just anything Adobe, anything Real, and Messenger. Any other configuration changes I can do via “services” after installation.
It looks very useful for the slipstreaming of SP3.
Going to have to do a fair bit of investigation/playing around before having a go. Probably take about a year. Or maybe a month. I’m definitely no expert at this.

Q’s:- Is it recommended to format C: (The OS partition) prior to reinstalling, whatever the installation media?
Or just install over the top?

• If “Yes”, do I just format it using the format instruction in “My Computer>Local Disks C:> Format”?
    -Will the new installation automatically recognize the D: partition, where all photos/files and most backups are, or will some kind of occult procedure to achieve this need to be followed?
  • Prior to doing this, should I uninstall all the programs installed to the “D” partition, provided the installers are saved somewhere, for installation later? If the programs in the “D” drive are not uninstalled, will they be recognized after Windows is reinstalled on “C”? (Relates to the Q above, and below)
  • Last but not least, the “tech” (and I use the term somewhat loosely) who built the PC, and installed the OS and a few other things recommended I keep “C:” for the OS, and use “D” for programs and file storage.
    My current thinking is that it’s perhaps better to have all the installed programs running from the same partition as the OS. True or false? (An advantage I see of having some programs running on “D” , for example the fax/printer/scanner, the photo editor, is the configuration settings for same maybedon’t need to be re-entered. Or maybe I’d have to save those from “application data”, and put them back after reinstalling. Bet it doesn’t work that way.)
    Sorry to be asking so many questions, and wording them a little clumsily, and I realize that this is perhaps outside the “normal” scope of a firewall forum !ot!, but you’re involved, now. ;D

I’m going to move us to the General board and entitle it as “how to reformat” something or rather, but not right now because I’m kind of tired (:SAD) ;D, I’ll just start by summing up:

• I’m no expert, but have experience on reformatting and some experience in Nlite (tons on tweaking and remove things yet still keep my XP in super shape)
  • Rule 1: always backup your important files/programs. depending on your intent, this could be simply copied over to another partition or hard drive if you have one. Or for the poor/cheap like me, I just burn them onto some CD’s.
  • Rule 2: record down step by step what you’re going to set up on your new XP installation like individual settings. Take your time on this. The more preparation, the better. This might be the 2nd most time-consuming process as you’ll need a plan of some sort, even if it’s obvious to you. It doesn’t hurt to keep reminders.
  • Never ever install an OS on top of an existing OS. I hardly do that for even regular programs. If you’re going to format you might as well start with a fresh slate: delete the partition(s), do the full (not quick) format, then install XP. → Just to clarify, you don’t do this while in XP; you have to reboot the computer (ensure that CD drive has the first boot priority) and run the XP CD.
  • TBH, I’ve always preferred to use one partition for everything. This has always been a debatable subject, but I just like to keep things simple. There are pros & cons to each. Some PC manufacturers have it set up as the secondary partition (e.g. D: in your case) for driver backups. If you stick with this setup then it’s really only useful for non-programs like personal files. Even if you keep D:, it still wouldn’t hurt to backup your important files onto some CD/DVD’s. I don’t think installating XP on C: partition would affect D: partition. I suppose a partition kind makes your computer act as if you had 2 separate drives. I leave this part open to real experts.

There are more thorough guides on the internet with screenshots even. I basically used a combo of some and played around with my own. If you use nLite, it’s not only for killing of useless M$ processes and programs and makes your XP lighter, but it also comes with own built-in (and valid) tweaks that you find all over the internet like registry things. That’s one part I didn’t know until I used it :-TU. nLite is a customized version of the XP installation CD, so it has pretty much the exact same screen with the format options as the original. That’s why so many adore it.

I’ll continue on this topic later.