Diagnostic utility finds a problem..

Vettetech, purely to see if the diagnostic utility does indeed work (as it used to.)
No errors appear to have been reported. The firewall itself appears to work correctly. But any aspect of a software, especially security software, that mysteriously stops working correctly nags at me.
I originally ran it not long after the first install, just to make sure everything was OK - and it reported everything was. Now it doesn’t. So either something actually is wrong, or the utility has a glitch. I suspect the latter.
I would like to know why, but suspect it may be too hard to find out.
(But, hey! Reading through 13 pages of uninstall information has been somewhat educational…)

So to clarify: CFP still reports/finds errors that it can’t fix. I know what you mean. Even if it’s just a reporting error, peace of mind is at stake :D.

Soyabeaner, that’s exactly it.

Hmm… does remind me of a similar situation in the past when I installed an update patch (rather than a full setup executuable) on top of an existing CFP version (I had no other security programs and I’m a system clean freak, so I barely had anything running other than M$ processes). I did everything as I should, and when I rebooted, out of curiosity, I ran the diagnostics wizard with the same result as you. I later on uninstalled and installed CFP 3 (probably a different version, but it was a while ago so my memory is fuzzy) without this error ever since.

Edit: Not exactly the same results as you as my diagnostics wizard did manage to repair it. Fuzzy memory!

I like to have unnecessary things not load at startup, too. Quicktime, Keyboard utilities, all those softwares that want to run at startup, even though they might only be used once a day…
It’s one of the reasons I had a look at Blackvipers site. Probably went a bit overboard. Most of my services are set to automatic, now.
I’d definitely be interested in finding out what’s causing that error. Maybe I’ll have to wait for a new version of CFP…
I wish they were still developing 2.4. That’s a pretty problem free application, apart from occasionally forgetting some of the rules.

That really depends on the system running it. I was one of the those who experienced high CPU usage due to the monitor dll injections option. But that’s another story !ot!.

I re-checked your first txt attachment. Even though you do have guard32.dll in C:\Windows\System32 folder, the report shows that it’s not loading or currently in use…In C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\Repair there should also be a copye of this file. Can you check?

Yes, guard32.dll exists in that folder.

That shouldn’t be necessary. CFP doesn’t rely on any particular Windows services AFAIK. I myself usually have only 15 services in total running.

If guard32.dll is supposedly the Defense+ driver, just to make sure, you have been receiving the Defense+ alerts?

Have you tried Start > Run > sfc /scannow?

If guard32.dll is supposedly the Defense+ driver, just to make sure, you have been receiving the Defense+ alerts?
Yes. (Even though the recent reinstall selected "firewall only", defence is running, and occasionally alerts to unknown processes.

I see you opted for the Firewall only during installation. Now that I don’t know since I’ve never selected that one. I wonder if someone else with the same setup can reproduce the issue :slight_smile: Shouldn’t matter since you said the first time you installed CFP 3, assuming it was also Firewall only, this error didn’t exist.

I’m wondering the exact timing when you first noticed the error in relation to when XP SP3 was installed. There have been some reports of SP3 causing issues with CFP3.

Actually, the first time I installed it, and for the subsequent re-installs save for the most recent, I’d selected the full features, FW and D+.
(BTW, Having installed the “limited” version now, if I want D+ included, is that a re-install, or a setting change within the current installation? There appears to be no display differences to the limited vs the full installations.)
I have to go to work now, so won’t respond for a few hours.
Thanks for now.

Hmm…if the full CFP 3 doesn’t produce this error while other modes like Firewall only or Firewall + Anti-Leak does, it would be a bug in the Diagnostics Wizard (I can move the thread if that’s the case). As to why people still see Defense+ alerts even with other modes, it’s basically Defense+ with certain options disabled. The other more technical veterans can explain better :wink:

Defense+ can be “permanently” deactivated or reactivated without reinstalling CFP3:
Defense+ > Advanced > Defense+ Settings > Check/Uncheck the option to toggle > reboot

No problems. There’s virtually no time limit in the forum and response (except for the 48-hour no response where people can “bump” the thread to request one ^_^)

Hmm..if the full CFP 3 doesn't produce this error while other modes like Firewall only or Firewall + Anti-Leak does, it would be a bug in the Diagnostics Wizard (I can move the thread if that's the case).
Don't think so, because the error occured at least three times with the full installation, and is still occuring with the FW only (+ leaktest protection) installation. Bye for now.

Just updated today (using the updater, rather than downloading/installing a new installation file) to version 3.0.23.364.
Let it “bed in” for a few minutes (not that it was needed, seemed to work out of the box after the reboot) and checked the settings and ran the diagnostics check again, with exactly the same result.([guard32]
Key=No)

Seriously would like to know what causes this.

It’s obviously something that was left behind from an earlier (re)installation of CFP, but that something isn’t obvious. Sorry for the paradoxical statement :-[

So I assume around or before the time when you first encountered this error, nothing major or peculiar on the software changed?

I just updated both my pc’s and all is well. I ran the diag test to check your finds and it comes up good. No problems found. No errors. Have you tried a complete uninstall and reinstall? Your should try a good registry cleaner also. Are you still using Threatfire?

Have you run the batch script from that comprehensive uninstall guide?

Soyabeaner, the only changes at a similar sort of time period (within a few days) were XP SP3, and the uninstall of Avast home, to move it onto a different partition. SP3 was first.I don’t know if the error started occurring before or after SP3. The error definitely started to occur before I moved Avast, though.

Vettetech, As part of the troubleshoot I’ve already uninstalled/reinstalled at least twice, going through the full uninstall instructions, using the Revo Uninstaller, and running the batch file available at the other post on uninstalling. I even removed the Legacy drivers from the registry.
Can you offer a good reason to try this again?

I haven’t seen any issues of Avast! with CFP3 lately, and based on the timing, we can rule that out of the equation.

The remaining culprit I suspect is XP SP3. As stated earlier, some users have had unexplainable issues after it was installed and resolved them after removing it. Heck, SP3 even has compatibility issues with certain hardware brands!

Vettetech, didn’t completely answer your q, x-posted, but yes, I am still using Threatfire. FWIW the first time I installed CFP 3## I was using TF also, and didn’t get that diagnostic error.

Soyabeaner Could be SP3. No idea. Apart from this issue, SP3 appears to run well on this machine, and with all the other software I use. (It’s not an HP. Does have AMD processor, though.)
Do you think I should uninstall it, then uninstall/re-install CFP, see if it fixes it? It’s no great problem to do so, I have the installer file for SP3. (I tend to save MS downloads now, just in case.)