Device connect and disconnect sounds constantly after installing CIS firewall

Since installing just the firewall software part of CIS I get constant device connect and device disconnect sounds every 15 to 30 seconds. I have closed down most things in the system tray but cannot find what may be causing this. Can anyone please suggest what I can do to resolve this?

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums.

Take a look a CIS’s Firewall event log. If CIS is blocking something, it’s usually listed there (if it is, post an expanded screen shot). Can you also please confirm which version of CIS you installed, OS version and more information about your internet connection (ie. what is it that is constantly reconnecting & is there any PC software involved). Thanks.

You also may want to check the windows event logs. You can start it by running “eventvwr.exe”

Cheers

Thanks for your suggestions. There was nothing in either log. I have tracked it down though. It is the NAS software on my system. With the firewall enable it is not possible to see my NAS drives. Once it is disabled the drive appears again. I had this problem with Zone Alarm and it looks like Comodo has the same problem.

I think you need to make your local network, or the IP address of the NAS, trusted.

Here is the way to go to make your local network trusted.
First look up your IP address and subnet mask. In Windows go to Start → Run → cmd → enter → ipconfig → enter → now lookup your IP address and subnet mask.

Second create a zone in My Network Zones (Firewall → Advanced → Network Security policy). Choose Add → A New Network Zone → fill in a name like My local network → Apply. Now select My Local Network Zone → Add → A new address → choose An IP Address Mask → fill in your local IP something like 192.168.1.x usually and your subnet mask; usually 255.255.255.0 → Apply. Now check and see the new network defined. Exit using Apply.

Now we are going to use the Stealth Ports Wizard to make your local network a trusted network (Firewall → Common Tasks):
Choose “Define a new trusted network and stealth my ports to EVERYONE else” → Next → choose “I would like to trust an existing My Network Zone” → choose your local network zone from the drop down box at the bottom → Finish.

Now check your Global Rules and see your network added.