Defense+ Issue: "... Not a Valid Win32 Application" [Merged Threads]

Guess so. but it needs another topic. That topic is only for fixes to known bugs.

One could argue that even if something is not a defect in the code, it is a bug in design if so many users end up in a situation where they are unable to access most anything on their PC - and the solution or cause is not readily apparent.

This issue definitely needs to be added to the Common Issues/Temporary fixes post.

Feel free to create a topic addressing frequent configuration issues (you can look at the most replied topics) and PM an available Mod. It will surely be sticked. :wink:

We surely do need an helping hand. :slight_smile:

(CWY)

[ at ] AnotherOne,

No, I don’t mean “Blocked”. The alert window in question has five [I mistakenly said three in my previous post] choices in a dropdown; it appears in several circumstances: for example, I just downloaded an installer file for CCleaner using Firefox and got this alert. The choices are “Installer or Updater”, “Trusted Application”, “Windows System Application”, “Isolated Application”, and “Limited Application”. On my second try, after restoring my system as mentioned above, I chose “Installer or Updater”, that avoided the freezing up of my system, and the application is currently listed by Defense+ as using a “custom” rule. I have no clue as to what the “Isolated” moniker is trying to say, nor the “Limited” one either. I suspect the Help system needs a lot of work!

I am permanently uninstalling Comodo, and doubt I will ever use it again. Mine updated automatically to V3 and I can no longer use VPN or Internet Connection Sharing, and no one here seems to have any answers. I need a firewall that doesn’t hose my computer.

Good bye comodo.

This very well have been the “mistake” I made. If memory serves correct, I opened Paint.NET and selected isolated program before the the same error messages started popping up.

I was able to do a system restore from safe mode after a hard boot, but because Windows Security Center assumed I still had a FW active, I needed to clear old drivers with instructions from this post.

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v2/need_a_comodo_firewall_installer_that_overrights_old_data-t14663.0.html;msg103575

I’ll continue reading before I reinstall V3.

As indicated this is serious problem with “multiple” executible files affected. Been there done that with your suggestion. There was no long list of executables, like Dr. Watson, my Screen print prog, my calculator, etc. Basic programs, that I had never tried to run before. Notice the error message said they were not Valid Win 32 Applications. I even tried adding several individual programs as trusted applications with full permissions and it made no difference, still received the same application error. I only shut down Comodo and restarted with the new permissions added, but I did not reboot my PC for fear of the sign on issues reported by another user that had a similar issue with only 1 program and my bug seems to be a much larger problem. His seemed to be fixed with a set up adjustment, because it was a specific compatibility issue with that program.

Since no timely response to this or the heat ticket from techs who should give me some reasonble assistance. I will try an uninstall to see if it will turn things around. I can’t take the chance of a power failure and have my PC reboot.

Back to 2.4, until this version works out these issues. Please get back to me on this with some additional suggestions as I’m not totally inept and tried a few, what I felt were obvious and safe, options before looking here for assistance. This is a true system bug and I would like to use this version, but need some help.

Sorry Pudelein, my bad. I got the firewall term and the Defense+ term mixed up. Try instead: Click Defense+>Advanced>Computer Security Policy>(locate and select the entry for the problem program)>Edit>Click the drop-down beside the “Use a Predefined Policy” button and select either “Trusted Application” if you know it is safe or “Limited Application”). Designating a program as “Isolated” basically stops it from running. It is what you should do if you suspect the program is a virus or the like. It seems that there may be a problem either with the user “Isolating” system files that are needed to run the OS or perhaps there is a bug that causes the “Isolated” designation to propagate to other new and unknown files? It is a bit hard to tell from the stressed-out posts that have resulted.

Wasn’t able to uninstall as I received same error that the Comodo uninstall exe was not a Win32 application. Unable to get the Windows Add/Remove programs to open either. Started to panic, but went ahead and tried switching to installation mode and changing the Defense+ security to inactive. Held my breath when it rebooted, but it did w/o any problems. made some other changes too, but think this is what did it.

Please get this fixed as I think it’s the root of several other posts that seem to be causing numerous problems. I’d like to use the feature, but can’t do without the Windows applications as well as most of my software apps that would not run. Uncertain what caused this to happen, but think a fix is in order. Would still like a reply as maybe there is something i can do with my set up to prevent this from happining. For now will leave this function off. :THNK

Thanks for that, AnotherOne! I stumbled there myself last night. Of course, that only underlines my earlier remark about the V3 help system needing lots of work; or, as I read somewhere else in this forum this morning, a good User’s Guide.

i have the same problem. cf says foobar200 and winamp are not w32 valid applications. HELP!!!

Hi riper - try the process described about 3-4 posts up from here for those applications. Let me know if that works.