Cryptography problem - Live PC Support

!ot!
Hi,
I have read that I am supposed to ask about non-Comodo products, but I have a question about a Comodo product and there is no specific topic to ask my question. Actually, I did not want to install a product that I have no valid subscription for–so there is absolutely useless to have this software like this.
Every second start up Live PC Support says that it has found a problem with Cryptography. Should I be worried about it? I have no valid subscription for this software another Comodo program installed it. For the first time I had tried to get in touch with an expert, but it turned out that without a valid subscription… I have no chance to get an answer. This error message makes me heart attack. Can any of you give me an answer if it is a serious problem and who to turn to for help?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Nika

I have read that I am supposed to ask about non-Comodo products
As long as you post in the right section, you can ask anything. Even how to configure Avira to the max :)

More importantly, :slight_smile:

1. Have you PERSONALLY experience any computer problems??
  2. Do you use cryptography software??
  3. Do you have all the windows up-to-date??
Should I be worried about it?
Depending on the three questions I wrote, I PROPABLY wouldn't worry about it. (My best guess would be)It's propably something to do with bitlocker
Can any of you give me an answer if it is a serious problem
Some info would help :) 1) What windows are you using, Windows XP, Vista, 7 2) Is it 32bit(86x) or 64bit system 3) Is the computer using a wireless connection

Hi,
I am really very grateful for your kind help! I really appreciate it!
Well, the error message goes like this:
“The system restore service has found an undefinable error ('0xC0000010) while processing volume ‘CPMEvdd1’ in file ‘Cryptography’. The filter has finished listening the volume.”
Just in case 'cos I haven’t quoted in my question.

So, my answers are as follows

1. Have you PERSONALLY experience any computer problems??
    No, I haven’t, but… I’ve had problems with CIS, Comodo Cloud Scanner and CAS. :slight_smile: CIS scheduled scan on critical areas froze, but it happened only once. Comodo Cloud Scanner stopped scanning and closed itself while scanning, but afterwards it did the scan properly. Then I tried to submit unknown and suspicious files to CIMA then the same problem occurred even more it tried to shut down my PC. I tried to run the scan and submit the files again then it seemed to be okay. CAS task bar icon disappeared, but it is solved many thanks to your colleague, mouse1. Apart from these I have not experienced any PC problems (okay I know what it sounds like :))–I guess you didn’t mean problems like this. So, my answer is NO.
  2. Do you use cryptography software??
    (:SAD) Honestly, I haven’t got a clue what it is, so let’s say no, I don’t.
  3. Do you have all the windows up-to-date??
    Yes, I have–with the exception of the optional ones that I don’t use (e.g. MSN, .NET, etc.).

Depending on the three questions I wrote, I PROPABLY wouldn’t worry about it. (My best guess would be)It’s propably something to do with bitlocker

• Can you happen to tell me what to with it?
  1. What windows are you using, Windows XP, Vista, 7
    I have Windows XP
  2. Is it 32bit(86x) or 64bit system
    x86bit
  3. Is the computer using a wireless connection
    My router has, but I made it disabled, so NO.

By the way, can I happen to have a bonus question?
I have had to reinstall my PC for several times, because Windows Update did not work automatically though it was set so. (And there were a lot of other symptoms of course.) So, is it true that in case like that there is some malware on the PC? (I have never found any…)

Thanks for your help in advance!

Nika

While it’s a millions times harder to help someone then in person, but I’ll do what I can :slight_smile:

"The system restore service has found an undefinable error ('0xC0000010) while processing volume 'CPMEvdd1' in file 'Cryptography'. The filter has finished listening the volume."
I have no idea what that is, I'll try to look it up later :)
same problem occurred even more it tried to shut down my PC
If it's not the blue screen of death then it's preety damm intreasting
Windows Update did not work automatically though it was set so
Sometimes it can have problem getting Service Pack 3 working (It's has nothing to do with your post, I'm just babbling), I've been there, done that
And there were a lot of other symptoms of course
Run this and see what comes up http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro Also click on "early warning"
I have had to reinstall my PC for several times, because Windows Update did not work automatically though it was set so.
Maybe you keep getting infected with the same virus ??? I hope not. Because whatever the situation is, it keeps on reoccurring.
  1. Do other people use the computer??
  2. Do you or anybody use USB Memory Sticks??
    If so, I would lock down the AUTORUN.INF file on every memory stick you have
    Panda USB Vaccine - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download
  3. If you reinstall the computer alot, save “service pack 3” to a disk, if it applys to you, it’ll save you the time and effert to download it?? <— Hopefully we can stop the problem of have to keep reinstalling :slight_smile:

After running and cleaning (If needed) with hitman pro
run hijack this

Copy and paste the logs here

While it’s a millions times harder to help someone then in person, but I’ll do what I can

Yes, I know… :slight_smile:

“The system restore service has found an undefinable error ('0xC0000010) while processing volume ‘CPMEvdd1’ in file ‘Cryptography’. The filter has finished listening the volume.”

I have no idea what that is, I’ll try to look it up later

I have seen a screen shot attached about it, but can’t remember which topic in. Actually, mine is not in English, so it wouldn’t help…
Actually, I have just found the same message in my event log. It must be the same. It is about sr.sys, but the rest of the message is the same.

same problem occurred even more it tried to shut down my PC

If it’s not the blue screen of death then it’s preety damm intreasting

No, it was not the blue screen of death. CAS caused it. I pressed Synchronize button… Windows closed CAS and task bar CAS icon gone together with hide unused icons arrows. All task bar icons gone with the exception of CIS and Live PC Support for which I do no subscribe for and MSN. It looked like as if I had clicked on Start—Shut down—then the screen to chose among Log off/Shut down/Restart. I pressed Cancel button—I had to confirm my decision 3 times… At that time when it occurred I guess SSDP and UPnP had not disabled for CAS yet. Could it cause the problem?

A colleague of mine took a look at the system event log of my PC (error: SidebySide error code 32 and 59—error code 59 seems to be in connection with CAS) and found that Microsoft Visual C++ seems to be needed to be installed. Does any Comodo product happen to need it? Actually, in the meantime I found out how to read the event log error code—not the code, or the event, but it is the message what is important! And it really says that MS Visual C++ is needed. So, I will install it, then will let you know about the result.

Windows Update did not work automatically though it was set so

Sometimes it can have problem getting Service Pack 3 working (It’s has nothing to do with your post, I’m just babbling), I’ve been there, done that

So, when Windows Update fails to be downloaded and installed automatically as it is set so (I have SP3 installed) I shouldn’t suppose that there is some malware on my PC, right?

And there were a lot of other symptoms of course

Run this and see what comes up

Also click on “early warning”

I haven’t run this (had no time yet), but I will do so asap. By the way, it might be important. I have reinstalled my PC 4 weeks ago. As soon as I finished installing Windows I installed CIS 5 Premium right afterwards then configured it and I have a router also, so I think my PC is not supposed to be infected this time—except that malware is hidden somewhere else on my PC not on my HDD. (What do you think about it? Am I a paranoid? :))

I have had to reinstall my PC for several times, because Windows Update did not work automatically though it was set so.

Maybe you keep getting infected with the same virus I hope not. Because whatever the situation is, it keeps on reoccurring.

At which part of of a PC can a virus survive a formatting and reinstalling? I have read about horrorable stories about it. (:SAD)

1. Do other people use the computer??

No, it is my personal computer.
2) Do you or anybody use USB Memory Sticks??

…unfortunately yes. I’ll try to tell it in short.

[b]USB/pen drive. Once my Windows did not let it removed from the system that did not response, but there was pretty high HDD activity and as my PC’d seemed to be infected for a while I just pulled it out of my PC. I did not save any files on it and no files were open on it. Actually, I used to be a subscriber of a well known security vendor. (I guess I can’t write the name here, but can tell you in PM if you are interested in.) I have had subscribed for their Internet Security for 2,5 years as 2,5 years ago it seemed to be ■■■■■■ good. So, once my PC became infected with some trojans from Lime Wire. This software alerted me and removed the infections, but my PC was not the same anymore or I just worried too much, so I had to reinstall my OS. From that time on, 3-4 months after each reinstallation, my Internet Security software started malfunctioning. I mean that a red cross alerted me above its icon on the task bar that my PC was not protected. I didn’t see that any updates were downloaded—its green status bar did not show the process. About 5 minutes later everything seemed to be okay—concerning the task bar icon only as the red cross gone. Start up took 30’ or 1 hour, very high HDD activity occurred continuously, my PC did not response… Scan log showed some system files failed to be checked, but their support found everything okay… Actually, their attitude is that their software is perfect, your PC cannot be infected, and how dare you bother them with your problems anyway, just transfer their money every month…

Somehow I found maybe a firewall log that made me frightened. Their Internet Security server kept denying connection trials of my PC and the reason was that it did not recognized my subscription code or found it invalid or altered… Actually, I checked the event log and found that the Internet Security software’s file that is responsible for downloading updates let’s say it is the brain of the Security Software—was missing or deleted… Far more Windows ID number (don’t know its exact name, but hope you know what I mean) was altered, so MS server also refused updates to be downloaded.

Before the latest reinstall I scanned my PC with all the available online scanners, boot (.iso) rescue CD and tried others like Malwarebytes, Superantispyware (SAS was advised by a MS support technician, he said that Vundo could cause my problems)—nothing was found never ever.

So, get back to USB device. Since once I just pulled it out of my frozen PC it never worked properly anymore. Dataloss, I mean, and Windows always sent the same error message „Mass Storage device is still in use and locked by an application. Try again later.” Then I found Cedrick Collomb’s Unlocker, which is a fantastic software, it was able to shut down explorer.exe that held the device and there were no data losses anymore. I don’t know what made my USB unusable, anyway.

My cell’s software is not installed onto my PC at the moment, so it couldn’t reinfect my PC. Now if it is infected at all (hope not!).[/b]

If so, I would lock down the AUTORUN.INF file on every memory stick you have

3) If you reinstall the computer alot, save “service pack 3” to a disk, if it applys to you, it’ll save you the time and effert to download it?? <— Hopefully we can stop the problem of have to keep reinstalling

I hope so too and thanks a lot in advance! (:HUG) I really appreciate your kind assistance!

I will do as you advised.

After running and cleaning (If needed) with hitman pro
run hijack this

Copy and paste the logs here

Okay, I will do so then post the logs here!

I am really grateful for you kind assistance!

Nika

Hi,
I have installed C++ and have run Hitman Pro–my PC was found clean.
Continue doing what you advised. :slight_smile:
Nika

I found a very similar topic related to my Cryptography problem.
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-a�“-cpm/comodo-programs-manager-10-build-27-public-release-t59495.0.html;prev_next=next
I unchecked livePCsupport using Run/msconfig and after having restarted my PC I got an error message : “Error initializing core components! Please reinstall the application!”.
In the error message about Cryptography I guess CPME refers to Comodo Programs Manager. Am I right? I have no idea what “E” is for. Should I uninstall livePCsupport? Should I uninstall CPM too? And if so what about left over Registry Keys? How to get rid off them? I hate uninstalling! (:TNG) Uninstall from All Programs/livePCsupport/Uninstal or from Add or Remove Programs?
So, please tell me if I have to uninstall both applications and how to get rid of the left over Registry Keys! I really hope that it is just a bug. Actually, event log is okay now after having installed C++ and disabled SSDP and UPnP, but… now I have the same error message like livePCsupport pop-up, but it is about sr–System Restore (:AGY) (:SAD) It makes me crazy for sure!
Nika

While it's a millions times harder to help someone then in person, but I'll do what I can

Yes, I know…

Cool, some people don’t think that for whatever reason :wink:
anyway

Windows closed CAS and task bar CAS icon gone together with hide unused icons arrows. All task bar icons gone with the exception of CIS
CAS = Comodo Anti Spam. Well, I never used it, so I can't be much help there :( I also only used CPM a few times, I got rid of it for lack of features <-- also I can't be any help on that.
livePCsupport? Should I uninstall CPM too? And if so what about left over Registry Keys? How to get rid off them? I hate uninstalling!
Use "Revouninstaller" to remove the programs for you (It will remove ALL traces of whatever is left, if any http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html ALSO when uninstalling software with revouninstaller, IF it asks to restart the computer... DON'T... Just let revouninstaller finish the job. (Use "advanced" when asked) :). When your done uninstalling software, just uninstall "revouninstaller
disabled SSDP and UPnP
??? Is there a reason why it's disabled??? If you like to set it back, it's not a resource hog or anything 1) Click on the "START" button 2) Click on "RUN" 3) Type in services.msc 4) set "SSDP" and "UPnP" to MANUAL
so I think my PC is not supposed to be infected this time—except that malware is hidden somewhere else on my PC not on my HDD. (What do you think about it? Am I a paranoid? Smiley)
With the problems you have, I just wanted to Rule out the fact that it wasn't malware. :)
Actually, I used to be a subscriber of a well known security vendor. (I guess I can’t write the name here, but can tell you in PM if you are interested in.)
You can write the name here.
when Windows Update fails to be downloaded and installed automatically as it is set so (I have SP3 installed) I shouldn’t suppose that there is some malware on my PC, right?
If I installed different computers with Windows XP SP1 and had to update it to SP3. I'd would propably would have problems with 2 or 3 of them. (Obviously microsoft didn't have a highly polished method of painless updating to SP3, but that's another story
At which part of of a PC can a virus survive a formatting and reinstalling? I have read about horrorable stories about it.
Those are MBR rootkits (Master Boot Record) and Bios (like bios rootkits) If you really have some free time and bored ((((((TOTALLY Unneccessary))))), download avira. Update and run a scan with it. I know it will scan your MBR for sure. When done with avira, just uninstall it. http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html
I checked the event log and found that the Internet Security software’s file that is responsible for downloading updates let’s say it is the brain of the Security Software—was missing or deleted… Far more Windows ID number (don’t know its exact name, but hope you know what I mean) was altered, so MS server also refused updates to be downloaded.
What Internet Security software’s was it, you can say it on here. :)

also

MS server also refused updates to be downloaded
Are you saying Microsoft won't let you do windows updates??? If so, what was the exact reason why (roughly). Is your Windows Product key been flagged?? Is the Windows disc --- OEM, retail, ??? If it's what I think it is, then I probably have a solution for you.

While it’s a millions times harder to help someone then in person, but I’ll do what I can

Yes, I know…
Cool, some people don’t think that for whatever reason [cid:image001.gif[at]01CB703A.410DD230]
anyway
Actually, it is clear for me that you really want to help me and make every effort and do your best and you seem to be interested in solving my problems. That’s what counts!
Windows closed CAS and task bar CAS icon gone together with hide unused icons arrows. All task bar icons gone with the exception of CIS
CAS = Comodo Anti Spam. Well, I never used it, so I can’t be much help there [cid:image002.gif[at]01CB703A.410DD230] I also only used CPM a few times, I got rid of it for lack of features ← also I can’t be any help on that.
Yes, CIS=Comodo Anti Spam. I like it! Though I was surprised in the other day when I received 27 (!!!) emails at one time. All was about synchronizing. What counts is that it really checks every email I receive, so spam don’t stand a chance! I LOVE CAS!
livePCsupport? Should I uninstall CPM too? And if so what about left over Registry Keys? How to get rid off them? I hate uninstalling!
Use “Revouninstaller” to remove the programs for you (It will remove ALL traces of whatever is left, if any

ALSO when uninstalling software with revouninstaller, IF it asks to restart the computer… DON’T… Just let revouninstaller finish the job. (Use “advanced” when asked) [cid:image003.gif[at]01CB703A.410DD230] . When your done uninstalling software, just uninstall "revouninstaller
I know Revo Uninstaller. As far as I remember that’s a pretty good program, but I am to take a try with CSC=Comodo System Cleaner-I have been installed it for a while, but have never used up to now. Actually, before having reinstalled my PC I removed orphaned Registry Keys manually using “regedit” command-but I hate deleting Registry Keys… Always have to be extremely careful. And usually reference to the download place of the software is generally not deleted by reg cleaners… I just searched for the software’s name and deleted all the related subkeys.
disabled SSDP and UPnP
[cid:image004.gif[at]01CB703A.410DD230] Is there a reason why it’s disabled???
If you like to set it back, it’s not a resource hog or anything

1. Click on the “START” button
  2. Click on “RUN”
  3. Type in services.msc
  4. set “SSDP” and “UPnP” to MANUAL
    Thanks so much, but my CAS icon gone… My first post was about it and mouse1 attached a link with the solution that says UPnP and SSDP have to be disabled both and that is expected to solve the problem. Though I found another solution-right click on task bar/show always CAS, but it worked only for a while and though the icon didn’t disappeared, the program didn’t work properly according to the event log. Actually, my event log was filled with errors related to CAS and the lack of C++. I disabled SSDP and UPnP-just to make sure that none of them are needed for my router I asked my router’s vendor first. So, my event log is okay now-apart from sr.sys=System Restore problems since then… It makes me go crazy for sure… As far as I found out, SSDP and UPnP do the same job like CAS–I mean keeping in touch with the service provider, but I am just guessing-- and CAS doesn’t tolerate rivals.
    so I think my PC is not supposed to be infected this time-except that malware is hidden somewhere else on my PC not on my HDD. (What do you think about it? Am I a paranoid? Smiley)
    With the problems you have, I just wanted to Rule out the fact that it wasn’t malware. [cid:image003.gif[at]01CB703A.410DD230]
    Actually, I used to be a subscriber of a well known security vendor. (I guess I can’t write the name here, but can tell you in PM if you are interested in.)
    You can write the name here.
    What about legal acts to be taken by them? European security vendor–and not Kaspersky…
    when Windows Update fails to be downloaded and installed automatically as it is set so (I have SP3 installed) I shouldn’t suppose that there is some malware on my PC, right?
    If I installed different computers with Windows XP SP1 and had to update it to SP3. I’d would propably would have problems with 2 or 3 of them. (Obviously microsoft didn’t have a highly polished method of painless updating to SP3, but that’s another story
    At which part of of a PC can a virus survive a formatting and reinstalling? I have read about horrorable stories about it.
    Those are MBR rootkits (Master Boot Record) and Bios (like bios rootkits)
    Yeah, I know. I have checked for them before reinstalling. I downloaded the F-Secure rescue CD… that found nothing. Can you happen to tell me any symtomps referring to MBR or BIOS rootkits?
    If you really have some free time and bored ((((((TOTALLY Unneccessary))))), download avira. Update and run a scan with it. I know it will scan your MBR for sure. When done with avira, just uninstall it.
    Okay, so I won’t waste my time! Actually, in my opinion, Avira doesn’t worth a cent! I used their recovery software–absolutely useless! Another one found all my lost data… When my computer became infected with trojans from Lime Wire–at those times I had no idea that a file, which has 2 extentions or is zipped is more than suspicious! So, Avira free AV version was installed on my PC and did not realized the infection in real time–it’s true that I have no idea if it did real time scanning or not. I would never ever use Avira again!
    Avira Free Security - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download
    I checked the event log and found that the Internet Security software’s file that is responsible for downloading updates let’s say it is the brain of the Security Software-was missing or deleted… Far more Windows ID number (don’t know its exact name, but hope you know what I mean) was altered, so MS server also refused updates to be downloaded.
    What Internet Security software’s was it, you can say it on here. [cid:image003.gif[at]01CB703A.410DD230]
    Okay, but Comodo pays the legal action’s price (:TNG) The missing main part of the Internet Security software was BlackLight from F-Secure.
    Actually, I don’t think that it is acceptable that a security software needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled from time to time… I have never done it–and never will, but was advised to do so. I always had the feeling that the support person had no any idea about the problem and didn’t really want to solve it. I let them close all my cases–I didn’t feel like emailing with someone who had the same poor knowledge about the problem like I had. Useless and time wasting. Well… I don’t know my PC might never have been infected–but regardless the same problem occurred from time to time. I don’t think that I was their only subscriber who complained for this problem. When your internet security software starts malfunctioning… Raise his hand who wouldn’t get a heart attack! It refers to that there is something wrong with the PC. Maybe just the software became ‘tired’. But it is not acceptable in a case of security software!

Now I think my present problem will never been solved as in the application event log: error with PrefNet and in system event log: error with sr.sys=System Restore. I don’t know why is it and how to solve it. I can uninstall programs–but I guess it won’t solve System Restore and PrefNet problem…
    also
    MS server also refused updates to be downloaded
    Are you saying Microsoft won’t let you do windows updates??? If so, what was the exact reason why (roughly). Is your Windows Product key been flagged?? Is the Windows disc — OEM, retail, [cid:image004.gif[at]01CB703A.410DD230] If it’s what I think it is, then I probably have a solution for you.
    Now everything seems to be okay I receive the updates automatically though 1 day later then I should, but it’s okay now after having reinstalled OS.
    Formerly when it didn’t download them–I could do that from the website. Event log said that the code that the OS sands to the server could not be recognized. OEM–yes, my OS is an original one I bought it from my Internet service provider. I used to have Microsoft Security Essentials that can be installed on original MS OS only. It was malfunctioning too… Didn’t care about scheduled scans or auto updating… Sometimes it did not boot at the start up and couldn’t be started from Start menu either. “Computer is not protected”. Then I decided to change after reinstalling. It was hard to chose between Lavasoft, Avast, and Comodo.
Then I decided to change after reinstalling. It was hard to chose between Lavasoft, Avast, and Comodo.
Whatever works good with your specific computer configuration while doing the job it's supposed to do and you feel comfortable with it should be the one to use :) Just keep trying different stuff until you find one your happy with :) :-TU
I used to have Microsoft Security Essentials that can be installed on original MS OS only. It was malfunctioning too...
Microsoft uses MSE to validate your windows <--- It far from perfect. Was windows updates working fine until MSE was installed??

Check your PM :slight_smile: