CPF Crashes Constantly

I installed CPF yesterday after having problems with ZoneAlarm Pro. Since installing, CPF crashes frequently with the following error signature:

AppName: cpf.exe
AppVer: 2.2.0.11
ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 73726550

I have no idea what is causing this and the program pops up a small window that it will be closing. The program seems to still be running afterward. Anyone have an idea what is causing this?

Running on Windows XP SP1.

Did you uninstall Zonealarm and reboot, or did you turn it off and install CPF in addition?

I completely uninstalled ZoneAlarm and rebooted.

1. I’d try it again. If it still doesn’t work, try the beta, here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1047.msg6504.html#msg6504

If those don’t work:
Try applying all Windows Updates and scan your computer for spyware/adware
You should have SP2 for Windows XP and all critical and security updates

Thanks, Chad. I’ll check out the beta when I have time. So am I correct in understanding that CPF requires SP2 for WinXP to function properly?

I’m not sure if the beta needs SP2 or not. Please don’t infer that from what I wrote if you did. I’m telling you that if you have XP you should be on SP2, and you should have all of the critical and security updates applied from http://update.microsoft.com. That’s a separate matter from Comodo Personal Firewall. I found XP with SP1 less stable than with SP2 and SP2 has been out for some time now. Getting your workstation into the most updated state, checking the hard disk for errors, keeping it defragmented, doing occasional RAM checks, and uninstalling any unused software is always a good idea before you go installing anything new.

Hi,

CPF will work with any version of Windows between Windows 2000 and Windows XP, including XP SP1.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I decided to uninstall CPF (latest stable version) and try the beta version. It seems to be humming along fine with no crashes yet. During install of the beta, it did recommend running on WinXP SP2, but seems to be working ok.

I’ll tackle the upgrade to SP2 issue when I have time. I’ve lost four days of productive work battling with the issue I was having with ZoneAlarm and have some catching up to do.

Thanks again.